Weezer video hits The Netherlands

Joggy

Reaction score
Weezer's in Holland, folks! I recently caught the end of the clip on MTV (right after I watched Muppet Classic Theatre, maaaaaan was I angry). It's also a clip choice on The Box channel, so this evening I decided to call them and give them the clip code. Maaaan was I happy to be able to tape it!

So if you're Dutch, go watch it. NOW.

Luke

Reaction score
They actually played the video after you phoned up to request it ? That would be a strange occurance in the UK.

i always thought it was like a jukebox where you phoned up, keyed in a song and it gets put into the rotation to be played, but i've had a few other friends in the biz tell me that there are only like 10 slots for viewer requested songs every hour, the rest is chart stuff automatically in the playlist to keep the channel content current, and people kinda are just voting for the 10 songs overall that the computer adds to the playlist. It's a wierd concept.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
The Netherlands still gets the Box?! You lucky people! MTV2 bought over the box here, and lord was that a shame. MTV2 just plays videos without viewer input. That was the great thing about the Box...you picked the videos. I do miss that station...:frown:

-Matt

Joggy

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
They actually played the video after you phoned up to request it ? That would be a strange occurance in the UK.

i always thought it was like a jukebox where you phoned up, keyed in a song and it gets put into the rotation to be played, but i've had a few other friends in the biz tell me that there are only like 10 slots for viewer requested songs every hour, the rest is chart stuff automatically in the playlist to keep the channel content current, and people kinda are just voting for the 10 songs overall that the computer adds to the playlist. It's a wierd concept.
I called on a Saturday night and I noticed there weren't many requests then. Normally there are requests around the clock. I guess I was lucky with the time...

Also, our version of The Box plays different clips in each area. I had to dial my postal code before requesting the clip.

Anyway, my thoughts on the clip now that I've finally seen it on a large screen:

The clip really has a classical Muppet Show feeling. The backstage, the red curtains, the dressing room, Statler and Waldorf's box, it's classic!
I heard someone complain the Exit was missing in the Backstage. Indeed, it's gone. Instead there's a large crate in front of the balcony. Maybe it's blocking the exit.

Kermit's position in the Backstage was very clever! On the Muppet Show, he sortta stays in one place during a scene. In this scene you see him walking forward and backward, which makes it more exciting.

Eric Jacobson, if you're reading this: you're da MAN! For years I've waited for Piggy and Fozzie to be their TMS selves again, and now they're back! This was the first time I've seen his Fozzie and he's no longer the "honk honk" comedian from Muppets Tonight or the "The big blue wet thing" bozo from Muppet Treasure Island. No, it's Fozzie. Good old insecure Fozzie. Ahhh. Fozzie. Yeah.

I liked the characters passing by in the background of the backstage. Rowlf's in the beginning, and Fozzie is on the balcony when Patrick flees from Piggy. That gave a classic feeling to it all.

I hate the new Gonzo puppet. You can't really see it well in the clip, but those who have seen I Love Muppets know what I'm talking about. Gonzo's mouth is highly asymetrical and looks unmovable in frontal shots, and one of his eyelids seems to be larger. This makes him look as if he has a lazy eye, decreasing the power of his eye focus. Henson people, Gonzo used to be one of the most beautiful Muppets. Could you please make him symetrical again? Because it's very annoying to look at him this way.

Animal's drumming rocks. I have no idea who's performing him, and it's not like Frank Oz, but it looks quite natural now. Good work!

How did Beaker's head explode? I would have loved to see that actually happen.

Statler sounds like Richard's. I really wonder who performed him.

Overall, this is a really good clip, and not just for Muppet fans... my friends who are Weezer fans loved it too! Especially Animal ("what's his name, Beast?") taking Patricks place, and the beginning. So that's pretty good huh?

Luke

Reaction score
I love it - it's brilliant - especially the Penguins !

You gotta admire the people at the Henson Company - throughout all these gap years, company changes and puppeteers going off ....... dem Penguins are always there, in their usual supporting role, on the screen, reliable as ever !

Hoorah for the Pengateers - whoever they may be !

Joggy

Reaction score
Luke,

What do ya, live in the Dark Ages or something? This is 2002! Penguins are SOOOO old. It's all about MUFFINS now!

:big_grin:

But you're right. They're cool.

beaker

Reaction score
Luke, glad ya got to see it...yeah seeing the penguins is always a treat.

>>>What do ya, live in the Dark Ages or something? This is 2002! Penguins are SOOOO old. It's all about MUFFINS now! <<<

What??? Muffins are so a few months ago. The new thing
is angst with a healthy serving of apathy and self loathing:wink:

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Joggy
What do ya, live in the Dark Ages or something? This is 2002! Penguins are SOOOO old. It's all about MUFFINS now!
Yeah but Muffin Tossing is just too common for it to have any novelty value in a Henson production ........ unless they were animatronic dancing Muffins or Stroopwafel tossing, now that's always a winner !

I'm sorry, the Penguins win every time, but if you are getting bored by them i'll have a word and get em to wear the traditional dress of the Netherlands next time and wave a banner saying "Hi Joggy" - sure it'll seem a little obscure for some but i have a hunch it'll have comedy potential ! :big_grin:

Joggy

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
The new thing
is angst with a healthy serving of apathy and self loathing:wink:
Oooh, so THAT's what I've been feeling all that time. I thought it was gas.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
I hate the new Gonzo puppet. You can't really see it well in the clip, but those who have seen I Love Muppets know what I'm talking about. Gonzo's mouth is highly asymetrical and looks unmovable in frontal shots, and one of his eyelids seems to be larger. This makes him look as if he has a lazy eye, decreasing the power of his eye focus. Henson people, Gonzo used to be one of the most beautiful Muppets. Could you please make him symetrical again? Because it's very annoying to look at him this way.
Yes i think your right Joggy, althought i don't like the way Fozzie look's now. He seem's so "i'm a puppet not a muppet" i mean i love the way he look's in TGMC the best, the same with miss Piggy, and i like Gonzo from TMTM. Sometimes i think Kermit is a little to bright green now and make's to many squooshed face's to offen. i feel statler and waldorf now have the "i'm a puppet not a muppet" feel too.

Fozzie is insecure bear, but at times he can take charge, even if it back fire's, i just hope they don't make fozzie "too" insecure, i love it on TMS when fozzie slam's his hand down on a table and says "trust me" or might play a funny prank or something. i don't want fozzie to be scared of his best friend Kermit the Frog.