Weird and Amazing Moments in Sesame Street History: Music Maker PC Game

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
So, I was browsing the interwebs and for some reason I decided to watch one of those videos where it's just an old game being played. No talking, no commentary from the player whatsoever, just a playthrough of the game. Don't know why I watched. I don't usually watch stuff like that, but I did today.
Anyways, there's this game from 1999 called Music Maker, and it's a true gem. I definitely recommend watching each section all the way through (well, it's pretty long, so maybe not all the way). One thing I love about it is that it has Frank Oz still voicing Bert (who is only heard offscreen for some reason), Grover, and Cookie Monster. And, he hardly did anything with the show around this time, so he could've totally phoned this in, but he didn't. He gives it his all, and he legitimately sounds like he's having fun. All of the actors sound like they're having fun, and they play off each other surprisingly well, despite the fact that they probably didn't record anything in the same room.

There's an interesting part at the beginning where Ernie, Elmo, Grover, and Bert sing different versions of classic Sesame songs. With Cookie Monster as the DJ, the sing "Dance Myself to Sleep", "Rub Your Tummy", and "Tu Me Gustas" (along with a cover of Rockin' Robin sung by Ernie). Also, part of the reason I was mesmerized by this video was because of Elmo and Grover's dancing. Their dancing is the reason I wake up in the morning, lol. I do have one question though: Is Cookie Monster a pervert? I really mean that. Just skip to 4:08 mark and tell me the way he sings about cookies doesn't creep you out, at least a little.

Also, Skip to 13:56 to hear the characters sing another group of classic songs.

And, one last thing is, there's this funny part where Ernie continually interrupts Elmo's, Cookie's, and Grover's songs to replace the lyrics with nonsense - much to their dismay. Skip to 1:13:53.

Anyways, here's the video:

cjd874

Reaction score
An EXCELLENT game! I played this often as a kid, along with other classic SS computer games: Get Set to Learn, Art Workshop, Letters and Numbers, and Search & Learn Adventures. Unlike the others, this one prominently features Frank Oz's and Steve Whitmire's characters...the same way that "Search & Learn" was a spotlight for Jerry Nelson's characters.

I've noticed that in his later performances, Frank really went all-out with his ad-libs. This is no exception. I remember Cookie Monster's remarks in "Ernie's World" being especially good. If dropping Henry Kissinger's name in the middle of a song isn't funny, I don't know what is.