Well, I finally heard Steve's Statler

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I've finally heard Steve Whitemire as Statler on a song from the Weezer videos on Muppet Central radio and I have to agree with most people here. His Statler is pretty much dead on to Richard's. I sort of wish he'd voice Statler more often these days. Jerry, I know you've been on this board a lot and I don't mean to offend you by saying this or anything. All your other characters are great, but I think Steve is a much better Statler. Again, I just wanted to comment on that.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Jerry and Steve both do a great Statler. I think you just mean to say that Steve sounds more like Richard's Statler. :boo:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Well I never really like Jerry's Statler that much simply because I wasn't use to it and I'm still not use to it really. I think Steve should do Statler especially since many people have said Dave and Steve work really well together. I mean if he sounds more like the original and can work really well with Dave why not give the character to Steve? That way Jerry can do more of those great sounding background characters and maybe bring bad Floyd and Strangepork and all the rest. Especially Robin.

With Jerry doing Statler it kind of takes away from the charater because when you see a face and hear a voice you associate that voice and face. Then when you see the same face but hear a totally different voice it throws you off.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe
Jerry and Steve both do a great Statler. I think you just mean to say that Steve sounds more like Richard's Statler. :boo:
Um...I think what he meant to say was what he said. :embarrassed:

It's just an opinion, no need to sugar coat it.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

That way Jerry can do more of those great sounding background characters and maybe bring bad Floyd and Strangepork and all the rest. Especially Robin.
I haven't thought about that much. I guess that's why those characters weren't seen much in post-Henson films. It seems the only one bringing :sing: back to life is me in the role play games. :smile:

By the way, if you want to be technical, Jerry was the ORIGINAL Statler voice. It's just that it's Richard's most people are familiar with.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Yes Jerry was the original and if he was around more for season 1 of TMS he would have remained the original probably. That's why I think it was fitting for him to take on the role again. But if someone else can get the voice right why not let him do it? Let's say, for argument's sake, that Frank died before Rhichard. Richard would have probably taken back Miss Piggy. Then lets say Eric comes along and can do the dead on Miss Piggy that he does. Should he not get the chance to take on that role?

I think when it comes to the Muppets, voice and performance are key and I think Steve can do both with Statler. I mean he did do the performing in AVMMC and he can do Richard's Statler voice pretty well.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that much and I still don't know how Richard's Piggy sounds, but that is food for thought. If that were the case though, poor Eric might be out of work. :sympathy:

WiGgY

Reaction score
I'd like to see one muppet production with Steve doing Statler just to hear what it would be like. I didn't see the Weezer video so I don't really know what he did on there.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
It's just an opinion, no need to sugar coat it.
No sugar-coating. I'm offering my interpretation just as he offered his opinion :big_grin:

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Re: Reply

Originally posted by Daffyfan2003
Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that much and I still don't know how Richard's Piggy sounds, but that is food for thought. If that were the case though, poor Eric might be out of work. :sympathy:
Wow, you, like, ain't seen any Season 1 shows? :eek: Richard did a great Piggy, but it was quite vocally different from Frank's. Eric's is MUCH more like Frank. I don't mean Richard's was bad (it wasn't), just different. :smile: