Well, it's good to see Disney diversifying their Saturday cartoons

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't see why they don't bring Ducktales back. That was probably the best Disney television cartoon series in their history. The spin offs and other cartoons that came after it weren't as good and I feel it helped kill what inspired them. Darkwing Duck was okay, but Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin and Bonkers were annoying facsimiles IMHO. They just didn't have the quality and excitement of Ducktales. I'd like to see a modern twist on it - or maybe even a CG version.

All the Disney toons like Doug and Recess just don't do it for me. They are nothing really new, but I do find Kim Possible a small step in the right direction.

I find it funny that the House of Mouse is all about the classic Disney characters in Warner Brothers cartoon situations. The classic Disney toons were all about some butterfly stuck on Pluto's tail. Yawn. I find House of Mouse interesting but nothing really brave. It's a retread of the works of Chuck Jones and Tex Avery. I'd like to see them do something - anything - bold. It's amazing that such an animation pioneer can't seem to come up with a truly original television concept. I still have hope. Heck, and while they're at it - bring back Roger Rabbit.

beaker

Reaction score
*yay* for Ducktales! I couldnt stand all the spinoffs and like shows(Talespind, Darkwing Duck, Chip and Dale) but...Ducktales! now thats where it was at! It came at the height of the me me me wallstreet 1987 era when it was all about greed and riches.
Heck, seeing Scrooge Mcduck dive into his endless gold coin pool
totally made me wanna go out and get rich! heh

Also, Ducktales(as well as Gummi Bears) had some of the most cinematic and epic adventures. Remember that lost Amazon temple, Indiana Jones styled adventure episode? Man, ya just wont find that kind of epicness in a kids cartoon. Most Disney kids cartoons now days are 'a girl and her friends like totally for sure gossiping it up near the lockers!' type faire.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
I loved Ducktales, and I always thought it would be great fun to swim in a gold vault! :big_grin:
Erin

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's funny how people here preferr Ducktales to the others, since a lot of Barksian perfectionist couldn't stand Ducktales, especially Launchpad... but enough of that

In case you want to know, Ducktales-Darkwing were my absolute faves period. After Goof Troop, they lost me completely untill opf course, Timon and Puumbaa. Now, that always cracks me up. That was such a great show, and the only good one taken DIRECTLY from a movie.

But a special something should be said for Gummi Bears. I say, it was a few steps ahead of the Smurfs (ironically, June Foray and Paul Winchell were doing voices on both:big_grin:) But the one unique thing about it was that it reunited Bullwinkle Alumni June Foray and Bill Scott, at least for a season. Sadly, Bill passed away shortly before the second season. Corey Burton did a fine job filling in the role, even track reader Skip Craig (who was the editor... of BULLWINKLE) couldn't tell the difference.

Manda:-D

Reaction score
I LOOOOVED Ducktales, Tale Spin & Darkwing Duck!!! (And for the record: Rescue Rangers' full version of their theme song is probably the LONGEST cartoon theme song in the history of the world!!!!) Those shows were all about having adventures, and what do kids have today? Spongebob. *Sigh* :frown: Gummi Bears was great, too!!! And how come nobody ever seems to have those epic, three-or-four-episode storylines anymore, like they used to on shows like Ducktales or Tale Spin??? Very sad.
Funny you should mention Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dr. Tooth!!! I just finished reading "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Book" by Louis Chunovich! If you haven't read it, you should check it out! (I spelled the author's name wrong the first time!!! :embarrassed:)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Spongebob isn't meant to be just a kids' show. It is an abstract comedy routine closer to classic WB skits than an adventure show. Although, it's something unto itself. You are comparing apples and oranges. It's a cleverly written show and I like it very much. There's no mystery to its popularity. Spongebob kind of represents everyman. A Darkwing Duck or a Smurf really doesn't. That's why I say apples and oranges.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Spongebob isn't meant to be just a kids' show. It is an abstract comedy routine closer to classic WB skits than an adventure show. Although, it's something unto itself. You are comparing apples and oranges. It's a cleverly written show and I like it very much. There's no mystery to its popularity. Spongebob kind of represents everyman.
More of a sheer abomination I can not think of. Spongebob, man...
there was a long preview for the dvds before Hey Arnold(AKA The worst animated film EVER) and I was just cringing and twitching. Its like a freaking hammer to the head. Seriously, is the country that brain mushed on Carson Daily and Reality TV that this actually is adored by folks? Everywhere I go...nope, not Pokemon or South Park...its Spongebob EVERYWHERE. It makes me wanna vomit...

I love how they have a new Alf shirt totally clowning on Spongebob. Anyways, I suspect Spongebob will go the way of the Spice Girls, beanie babies, the Macarena, and other ill begotten pop fads soon enough.

pezbalubah

Reaction score
Hearing the days of the Animaniacs and Disney's Doug being referred to as "the good old days" is a bit weird. (I spent most of the summer being Wacko from the Animaniacs at a Six Flags park and most people thought I was Mickey). It all depends on what generation you're a part of. For me, the mid-late 80's line-up on CBS was my favorite with these 3 heavy hitters: Garfield and Friends, Muppet Babies, and Pee-wee's Playhouse. These shows were also put along side a few other shows: California Raisens, and Teen Wolf (which I didn't really watch). The day they announced that Pee-wee's Playhouse would no longer be seen was indeed a dark day in Saturday Morning history.

Another good show some what similar to Pee-wee appeared in 1997, the Weird Al Show which was on CBS for I think 2 seasons, until the whole CBS line-up was cancelled and replaced with cheap Canadian cartoons.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Manda:-D

Funny you should mention Rocky & Bullwinkle, Dr. Tooth!!! I just finished reading "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Book" by Louis Chunovich! If you haven't read it, you should check it out! (I spelled the author's name wrong the first time!!! :embarrassed:)
Are you kidding? I have that and The Moose that Roared (wich, though low in pictures, is further extensive, and goes on in detail about George of the Jungle, as well as unsold pilots of Jay's toons.