Were there Fisher-Price Muppet Prototypes?

Scooter Guy

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Fisher-Price prototypes?
I purchased a Fisher -Price Scooter marionette from a girl who lives near me. She said she didn't know much about it. It belonged to her Dad, who was a design engineer at Fisher-Price in East Aurora, New York. (about 30 mins from here) You could tell by looking at it, that it hadn't been played with.
I've had it sitting on my desk for a year or so and one day I thought I would look it up on-line. I couldn't find a thing on it.
When I started examining it closer, I saw a 1978 F-P /East Aurora tag on it.It looks like they used the regular plush and modified it into a marionette.
Do you think it might be a prototype or proof-of-concept that never made production?
I'll try and post some pics tomorrow.

Scooter Guy

muppetperson

Reaction score
The FP Scooter stick puppet and plush doll were the only Scooter items made. So if it is a marionette, then it is a prototype that never made production. Look forward to seeing some pics.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
I never heard of a Scooter marionette. When you talked about that, it reminded me of the Muppet marionettes made by Pelham Puppets.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like someone just modified the FP Scooter puppet for a custom marionette. It would be nice to see pictures though nonetheless.

Scooter Guy

Reaction score
I was able to take some pics today.
It was definitely made from a plush, but I would imagine it was done by his design team at Fisher-Price in East Aurora. I need to get in touch with his daughter again. I'm not sure if he is still alive or where he is living, but it would be interesting to find out the history of it.
Scooter Guy

Sprocket77

Reaction score
This looks really neat. I'm pretty sure it's just the plush modified into a marionette, tho.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Ditto. I think they would have made it out of plastic.