West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I realize in another year or two, we'll be quoting this exact post because by then I will have jinxed it, but I'm kind of surprised we haven't had a sequel to RANGO yet.

You know what it'll be about. Now that Dirt is something of a tourist town and the townsfolk now have new means for living, some big real estate tycoon will have gotten wind of it, move in, and try to take the town away from them to turn it into an even bigger tourist trap, and it'll have to be another save the neighborhood story. Oh yeah, and Rango annd Beans will have gotten married between the two movies, Beans will be expecting a child, and some peril will befall her and their unborn child, causing Rango to have to decided whether to save the town and the people or his family.

Anybody wanna make a wager this will happen?

Drtooth

Reaction score
How many 50 SHADES OF GRAY books are there? I thought there was just the one - that I'm aware of - but they're already working on two sequels to the movie.
There's at least 3 books.

Don't ask me how that glorified fan ficcer got more than one story out of "rich guy who doesn't know the first thing about bondage boffs a Mary Sue." I;'m as clueless as anyone else would be.

I realize in another year or two, we'll be quoting this exact post because by then I will have jinxed it, but I'm kind of surprised we haven't had a sequel to RANGO yet.
There was something going around how it's because of Disney buying Lucasfilm, but I severely doubt that's the case since Industrial Light and Magic has been credited for other things since they buyout. Something tells me because Fox distributes both Dreamworks and Blue Sky movies now, so there's no real need for them to release anything on their own anymore.

Or the fact that the stupid Lone Ranger movie got made instead. Big mistake on their part. Apparently filmgoers can accept Johnny Depp as a talking lizard, but a crazy guy with a bird on his head?!? No seriously. That's what Tonto was in that film. A crazy guy. Everyone that made a big stink about how offensive to Native Americans in a movie based on a romanticized cowboy story from the 50's (hotbed of offensive to Native American activity) didn't even bother to do the research.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Rango failed to break even domestically, but the foreign markets did score it a huge profit. While I don't see how a sequel would work out, I also don't see why Paramount isn't jumping at the chance to make one.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe it just doesn't need a sequel. I don't really think it does. What it does need is to gain the cult status that it deserves.

Very disappointed that it lacked the merchandise it deserved. Too bad Funko Pops didn't come out then. They seem to do one of every movie. Even seen some nice, but expensive as heck highly detailed Book of Life figures. Rango was ripe for a collector's toy line.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Maybe it just doesn't need a sequel. I don't really think it does.
Most movies today don't need sequels, but they get them anyway. ICE AGE certainly didn't need a sequel, but here we are bracing ourselves for a fifth installment.

I mean when you have titles like THE SECOND BEST MARIGOLD HOTEL, you know that sequels are really out of control.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I mean when you have titles like THE SECOND BEST MARIGOLD HOTEL, you know that sequels are really out of control.
And ironically, that was an indie film, which are the very things film buffs praise for supposedly not having a lot of the B.S. from something of a major Hollywood studio.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
And ironically, that was an indie film, which are the very things film buffs praise for supposedly not having a lot of the B.S. from something of a major Hollywood studio.
Well, there are a number of indie films that end up achieve more of a mainstream status one way or another. THE BRAVE LITTLE TOASTER is actually one of those movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly what I've been saying. These British films about Indian culture staring mostly British white people are supposed to cater to the very same older crowd that whines about sequels and how films are no longer made to appeal to them (as opposed to the movies that came out when they were younger that catered to their demographic because they were younger). And now they have a freaking sequel of their own. They've officially lost the right to complain about how many Transformer films they make. At least those sell toys, so they have that excuse. What's Second Best Marigold Whatchamahoozit's excuse?

I suppose it's more honest than making a film that's exactly the same only with different characters. You hear all these complaints about how they only have Super Hero movies (GOTG was more of a Sci-Fi action comedy film), yet no one says a word about the abundance of Tween-lit movies (to the point they repurposed Ender's Game as one of them) and Old British couples in India.

Drtooth

Reaction score
On that nore: Kevin Smith is working on Mallrats 2

I really don't know what to say about that. It's going to be a sequel to a film that's one of the main examples of cult, not even making back its low budget, but gaining a huge following. Dunno how tongue in cheek or self referential it will be, though.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'll admit, when the first PAUL BLART: MALL COP came out, I thought it actually looked like a funny movie to see, but I never got a chance to see it, so it left the theaters, and I lost interest and never saw it.

But really, the trailers for the sequel look just plain stupid.