West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

mr3urious

Reaction score
So another sequel after all these years: another Barbershop movie. On top of that, it's another one of those "save the neighborhood" movies, so that makes it doubley unnecessary, because how many times have we seen that plot?
If Zoolander 2 is any indication, I don't expect this one to make as much as the last two (along with its spin-off Beauty Shop). It will most definitely get spanked by that live-action Jungle Book movie that is releasing in the same weekend.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
If Zoolander 2 is any indication, I don't expect this one to make as much as the last two (along with its spin-off Beauty Shop). It will most definitely get spanked by that live-action Jungle Book movie that is releasing in the same weekend.
It's really not very smart for these studios to keep releasing movies so close to Disney movies.

Drtooth

Reaction score
So another sequel after all these years: another Barbershop movie. On top of that, it's another one of those "save the neighborhood" movies, so that makes it doubley unnecessary, because how many times have we seen that plot?
In reference to the controversies about the Oscars, Aloha, and Gods of Egypt and the like, I'm at least glad that there are movies with an all black cast for an all black audience. Problem is, they certainly deserve better. All they have is Barber Shop and Madea movies, and when they get their Oscar Bait, it's always done as a white guilt movie. It's a darn shame the only mainstream movies that are diverse enough are usually action fare. Like Marvel movies and the Fast and Furious franchise. And the thing is, those make a crapload of money. The diversity of the cast of the F&F movies is part of the reason they're successful and will never not be in production.

Barbershop looks like it wants to tackle a serious issue, but I don't think it can be taken seriously. It doesn't look like it's a bad film, just not something for me, but I really wish that Non-Caucasian audiences got more films to speak to them, and have them of a higher quality. Instead, they have these comedy films of questionable quality, and the mainstream films continue to either try and get little patches of diversity or completely racelift things the other way around.

That said, time will only tell how the Black Panther movie turns out. Seems to be something that will get mainstream attention because the Marvel name is attached.

I was honestly worried that Zoolander would have spanked Deadpool. Really. Quite the opposite happened, but Zoolander just barely made back budget. At least it wasn't as pathetic as the Dumb and Dumber sequel. I'm sure that probably made back its money but, at this point, who cares? Now, I liked the first Zoolander, but I really couldn't get excited about a second one years later. The bit with Beiber would have been funny like, 3 or 4 years ago. I'd say that exact scene is what drove audiences away.

Oh, here's another one: BRIDGET JONES'S BABY!?
Well...uh... at least Rene Zellwegger's still working? So...uh...Yay for her, I guess?

The Bridget Jones model of chick flicks is long over. Whatever anyone can say about feminism or whatever, I'm very glad that the whole "working woman is only fulfilled when she's shoehorned into a romance" trope is basically in an iron lung with its grandkids about to pull the plug. It was never a good trope. Hallmark channel somehow thinks its still valid, but it isn't. Whatever anyone's feelings on Bridesmaids are, that movie was a game changer for chick flicks. Now they've at least got a nice aggressive attitude to them. But something like Bridget Jones will hopefully fail and get the amount of crap it deserves instead of those picking apart action heroines every time they have a minor flaw in the character.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
In reference to the controversies about the Oscars, Aloha, and Gods of Egypt and the like, I'm at least glad that there are movies with an all black cast for an all black audience. Problem is, they certainly deserve better. All they have is Barber Shop and Madea movies, and when they get their Oscar Bait, it's always done as a white guilt movie. It's a darn shame the only mainstream movies that are diverse enough are usually action fare. Like Marvel movies and the Fast and Furious franchise. And the thing is, those make a crapload of money. The diversity of the cast of the F&F movies is part of the reason they're successful and will never not be in production.

Barbershop looks like it wants to tackle a serious issue, but I don't think it can be taken seriously. It doesn't look like it's a bad film, just not something for me, but I really wish that Non-Caucasian audiences got more films to speak to them, and have them of a higher quality. Instead, they have these comedy films of questionable quality, and the mainstream films continue to either try and get little patches of diversity or completely racelift things the other way around.

That said, time will only tell how the Black Panther movie turns out. Seems to be something that will get mainstream attention because the Marvel name is attached.

I was honestly worried that Zoolander would have spanked Deadpool. Really. Quite the opposite happened, but Zoolander just barely made back budget. At least it wasn't as pathetic as the Dumb and Dumber sequel. I'm sure that probably made back its money but, at this point, who cares? Now, I liked the first Zoolander, but I really couldn't get excited about a second one years later. The bit with Beiber would have been funny like, 3 or 4 years ago. I'd say that exact scene is what drove audiences away.

Well...uh... at least Rene Zellwegger's still working? So...uh...Yay for her, I guess?

The Bridget Jones model of chick flicks is long over. Whatever anyone can say about feminism or whatever, I'm very glad that the whole "working woman is only fulfilled when she's shoehorned into a romance" trope is basically in an iron lung with its grandkids about to pull the plug. It was never a good trope. Hallmark channel somehow thinks its still valid, but it isn't. Whatever anyone's feelings on Bridesmaids are, that movie was a game changer for chick flicks. Now they've at least got a nice aggressive attitude to them. But something like Bridget Jones will hopefully fail and get the amount of crap it deserves instead of those picking apart action heroines every time they have a minor flaw in the character.
Why? Does anybody remember, even CARE about Bridget Jones? Haven't they learned that when a non-huge hit/franchise movie gets a sequel years later, it bombs? Sin City 2, Spy Kids 4, Zoolander 2, to name a few, didn't get in range of their predecessors for that reason.

Oh yeah, and they're coming out with Bad Santa 2 near this Christmas. Do most people even know about the first one? Seriously? WHY? I don't even remember it! Who is gonna see it?

Last edited:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh yeah, and they're coming out with Bad Santa 2 near this Christmas. Do most people even know about the first one?
Unfortunately, yeah, I do, because that movie came out when I was a kid, and it started out under some very false advertising: they were making it out to be some sort of kid-friendly movie with Billy Bob Thornton as some sort of an unscrupulous fellow who dresses up as a mall Santa (hence the title BAD SANTA), then when the trailers started coming out, we saw what they really meant by BAD SANTA, in that this was a very raunchy, vulgar, and obscene movie.

And I think a BAD SANTA 2 isn't too far-fetched, because there's been other similar movies that have come out, such as two different BAD GRANDPA movies. Apparently this "Bad (Person)" thing is trying to be a franchise unto itself too.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why? Does anybody remember, even CARE about Bridget Jones? Haven't they learned that when a non-huge hit/franchise movie gets a sequel years later, it bombs? Sin City 2, Spy Kids 4, Zoolander 2, to name a few, didn't get in range of their predecessors for that reason.
I don't know why Rodriguez was roped into a Spy Kids 4. There was no need to revitalize that, the third one was already a gimmicky bomb. Plus, it robbed us of Rodriguez's live action Jetsons movie.

Mynameisdean

Reaction score
I don't know why Rodriguez was roped into a Spy Kids 4. There was no need to revitalize that, the third one was already a gimmicky bomb. Plus, it robbed us of Rodriguez's live action Jetsons movie.
I don't think the Rodriguez Jetsons would've been good anyway, all of the Spy Kids movies weren't that great anyway. Plus, it likely would've happened with the worst brothers in Hollywood, the Weinsteins. *Shudders at thought of Weinstein kids films*

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd make the obvious comment about how there's a "God's Not Dead 2," but yeah. I just can't. It's a propaganda film starring someone who starred in something the group the film caters to would whine and write letters about. You know, the sitcom about the Teenage Witch? I'm not surprised this exists, but Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey is a better religious film. They get into heaven by reciting Poison lyrics.

Obviously, I saw the Midnight Screenings video about it. Then I watched their one about my all time favorite movie series of all time, Divergent's flop of a third film. And there is one point that was made that made me gleam with schadenfreude-y delight. How breaking the last book into two movies ala Harry Potter and Hunger Games is going to bite them hard on the butt. The film, while it unfortunately made back its money overseas somehow, it flopped hard here against a certain Disney movie (Disney's revenge for 2014, I call it). And as a result the upcoming last film's budget was slashed. HA HA HA! Now, I know it's easy to call comic book movies and books "sequelitis" or "over saturating" but these films are trying to build up the modern day equivalent of a movie serial. Only much longer and you don't get to see 2 cartoons before it and a full length film after (well, obviously because it is the film). But the reason why franchises work is because the films actually make money. The Marvel Cinematic Universe pretty much funds itself to the point where a sleeper film like Ant-Man is totally forgiven for it's low haul. But when you base an entire franchise based around a book series and the films get every lower returns, well... you really paint yourself into a corner.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's a propaganda film starring someone who starred in something the group the film caters to would whine and write letters about. You know, the sitcom about the Teenage Witch?
Well, y'know, Agnes Moorehead was a Fundamentalist, and a minister's daughter to boot, and yet she's immortalized as Endora from BEWITCHED, so yeah. Then again, I heartell that sometimes she could be a bit of a nuisance behind-the-scenes with her uber-conservative, rightist views and beliefs, to the point that other cast and crew members would walk on eggshells to avoid saying or doing anything that she would deem morally reprehensible.