West Nile, Swine Flu, Meningitis, and Sequelitis

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know, it's occurred to me... I can't remember the guy's name, but I remember that the director of THE MASTER OF DISGUISE saying that he really hoped to do a sequel to that movie... why didn't they? I can SORT of see some kind of story continuing, like perhaps the predictable Pistachio and Jennifer have a kid who inherits the Disguisey Energico, or whatever it was called that made them masters of disguise, while perhaps another big bad tries to exploit their destiny (destiny-destiny-destiny-destiny...) to his own benefit.

Drtooth

Reaction score
According to Wikipedia [ :sigh: ] DreamWorks is making a Kung Fu Panda 3. Kung Fu Panda was a great movie and all (and the sequel was even better), but do we really need a third movie? Usually three is where the franchise gets worn out. (Ice Age 3, Shrek the Third...Toy Story 3 averted it though)
The second film had such an obvious sequel hook, and the third will most likely follow up on that (the search for Po's family). I find KFP Dreamworks's best franchise, and I have high hopes for the third one. The cartoon series is pretty good too. I just hope they decide to end it at 3.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm wondering what sequel you're talking about, actually...

But yeah. Back when they had video stores, you'd always see these really bad films that had sequels of crappy movies you never knew existed in the first place. Low budget, bad horror films that aren't even so bad it's good, mostly.

What I don't get is when they sequel movies that flopped. And not slightly missed it's budget or did better on DVD/Home video (too many movies that should have sequels didn't do good enough)... I mean, massive failuretastrophies. Was there any call to make another Percy Jackson movie? I know it's supposed to be in a series of movies based on a series of books, but really!?!? Well, at least the second one bombed so badly there's no chance they'll make a third.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
quote=Drtooth]I'm wondering what sequel you're talking about, actually...[/quote]
RED 2. I never even heard of RED 1.

But, then again, I remember seeing like a giant cardboard cut-out display for FANTASTIC MR. FOX before it came out, then like not too long after that, it was already on DVD, and I never saw it being played at any theater, nor did I ever see any previews or trailers for it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I remember Red. It was that one with the special agents coming out of retirement. I actually almost forgot about the sequel, so I guess that balanced out.

Anyway, yeah... I remember not finding Fantastic Mr. Fox anywhere and then only a month later, stumbling on an indie theater showing of the project. Which really sucked because it really deserved more recognition than it got. Wes Andersonized Roald Dahl beats Tim Burtonized Rolad Dahl anyday... (and whoever did the first Charlie and the Chocolate factory too).

Misskermie

Reaction score
I know this is a pretty pointless question for me to even be asking... but why do we need PITCH PERFECT 2? Why?
Because...
Because Pitch Perfect was funny... :stick_out_tongue:

But seriously whether the movie was good or not I agree. why?
Upon seeing the first movie I don't know what they'd put in a second one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Probably because it's a blatant ripoff of GLEE (seriously, everybody knows it)... that, and apparently Rebel Wilson is a big (no pun intended) star now that she has her own show on ABC, so that probably has something to do with it... I'm pretty sure NPH is the main and only reason we had THE SMURFS 2.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure NPH is the main and only reason we had THE SMURFS 2.
Actually, no.

The first Smurf movie was a surprise hit (being the only kid friendly movie released at the time), and it actually killed in Europe, where the Asterix movies (the live action ones, that is) are actually considered worse. So they didn't have the problem of us screwing with the formula. Smurfs merchandise leaped off the shelves within a week of the film's debut. It brought the franchise back, actually.

Too bad I can't say the same for the second (though it also did well in Europe). And the sad thing is, they actually made the second film good. I think they're still planning the third one, but it's hard to tell considering it did poorly compared to the first. But then again, the first one didn't have Planes, Turbo, and Percy Jackson as competition. None of these did that well, at least in the US... Turbo doubled its budget overseas. And Disney's going to call Planes a win.

As for NPH in Smurfs... well, considering all these other human focused adaptions of cartoons and comic strips, it was refreshing to see someone actually act in that kind of film, instead of passionlessly bumbling around for a paycheck. *&^% Yogi Bear movie was ruined by the terrible casting choices outside the Yogi and Boo Boo voice actors.