What are the best Sesame Street DVD's - a guide for the fans

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
OK, so earlier this year I posted a thread asking what the best Sesame Street DVDs would be best for someone looking for stuff from 1969-1989. While I have an idea of what to get, I thought it'd be a neat idea to have a definitive thread to serve as a reference for anyone confused about what SST DVDs to buy. So feel free to name your favorites be it old school, Elmo-centric, co-productions, whatever, give out your all-time favorites. I'll start with my small collection:

Old School Vol. 1 and 2 - Easily the definitive Sesame Street titles out there. For anyone who grew up with the show, they'll find something here they'll like. It makes the shows like time capsules of the era and it's a great way to show what it was like back in the day.

40 Years of Sunny Days - Appealing even more to die-hard fans and the general market at the same time, 40 Years of Sunny Days is a great, great set that makes an excellent substitute to the Old School sets in 2009. It's finally great to see some behind-the-scenes footage that the Old School sets lacked plus the always-bittersweet but great look at seeing how much the show has changed over the years.

25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of Follow That Bird - A great presentation of this movie makes up for an otherwise lackluster disc. Aside from having the movie in widescreen and the always-interesting Caroll Spinney's interview, there is not much to this disc. But Follow That Bird is such a great movie, it works out.

The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland - I seem to be in the minority of Muppet fans who like this movie. I hate the pan-and-scan presentation and disappointing extras but the movie still fairs really well and, for me at least, watching it brings back memories of late 90's Sesame Street which is a bit nostalgic for me. :smirk:

Now you all feel free to name your favorites from any point in the show's history. Don't worry, we're good people, we won't grill you for liking an Elmo-focused one. :zany:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I think you pretty much named all the ones that are really worth getting, especially with the Old School sets and 40 years of Sunny Days. Really if you only have those three I would say you have a good collection of Sesame Street, :smile:, that's really all you need. The two movies would make sense too.

But if I were to try to add one more to the list, I would say "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" is a good choice as well. :wisdom: