What became of syndication?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Remember the glory days of syndication? When cartoon shows and old sitcom reruns abounded? Well, look at the situation of TV now... corrupted by countless annoying "Judge fill in the blank" shows.

On the air currently

1. Judge Joe Brown
  2. Judge Mathis
  3. Christina's Court
  4. Judge Hatchett
  5. Judge Alex
  6. Divorce Court
  7. People
  8. Judge Maria Lopez
  9. and the one who opened the can of worms herself, Judge Judy

And that doesn't count 5 others that were mercifully cancelled. Seems every year one flops and 2 more are in it's stead.

Not only that, we have to contend with talk shows. I don't mean Oprah or Ellen. I mean crap like Jerry Springer, Dr. Keith Ablow, Greg Berret, and Maury Povich. I know Jerry has a sleaze cult following, but Maury is beating a dead horse into the ground with his 2 different subjects. "I slept with everyone under the sun, which one of my multiple partners is my baby's daddy?" and "HEY! Look! Freakishly fat kids, and the trailer trash mothers who over feed them!" Keith Ablow and Greg Berret are both trying to knock off Dr. Phil... and Dr. Phil ripoffs flopped 2 years ago already.

It's getting to a depressing amount of garbage TV, and without cable there is no other alternative but to sit in dead silence. Someone's gotta take a stand on this. Anyone else sick of this?

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's night time stuff... 5-8 pm... I'm talking about the daytime. I also forgot to mention the innumerable infomercials.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
That's night time stuff... 5-8 pm... I'm talking about the daytime. I also forgot to mention the innumerable infomercials.
All of the judge shows come on at like 7:00 or so.

Andy

Reaction score
First rule of putting a show on the air: IMITATION IS THE ONLY FORM OF PROGRAMMING. Corrollary to the first rule: EXECUTIVES DON'T CARE IF THE IMITATORS FAIL, THEY'LL JNUST PROGRAM MORE. I miss GOOD syndicated game shows. I'm tired of Wheel of Fortune, and Jeopardy!, and Family Feud is OK once in a while. I remember when gems like Catch Phrase, Triple Threat, Pitfall and Let's Make a Deal, among others, dotted along the independent TV station landscape. Now it's BORRRRRRRRRRRINNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG! I understand, however that they're going to revive The Joker's Wild and pair it with a new show called Combination Lock next year. Even cable TV seems to be narrowing its focus a little too much. 150 channels of nothing on!

Tim

Reaction score
Yeah, between infomercials and Jerry Springer -type trailer trash I don't watch daytime except to regis and the news.

BTW as for "Judge" shows, it was "People's Court" and Judge Wapner that "opened the can of worms".

But you gotta admit Judge Millian is totally hott!

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
Hah...I don't even watch TV any more. That's what DVDs are for. :cool: