What bugs me about Camp Lazlo

Drtooth

Reaction score
I know I've been having a personal vendetta with Cartoon Network lately, what with the horrible Live action programming coming, and a certain cartoon about a monkey and all, but I've been pondering 2 things about Camp Lazlo I don't like.

Now mind you, I don't exactly hate it. Sometimes it's alright. but it's just not that good.

Problem 1: I like Joe Murray and all, but I really think that his show Rocko's modern Life was much better. Both in concept and delivery. While it does have the same principle voice cast (except Charlie Adler, who would make the show much better). While I wouldn't imagine it would have been as adult as Rocko was (considering Nick nicked some parts out in reruns, or so I've heard), it's very juvenile and it doesn't hold up.

I dunno, it's like having a movie director make a new movie with most of the same people, but it just doen't work as well as the others.

problem 2: The biggest problem. Camp Lazlo has MERCHANDISE. Why does this bug me? Rocko got the shaft when it came to merchandising. Sure, Rocko had a comic book published by Marvel and shared valentines with other Nicktoon stars. Then there was an obscure kid's meal toy from a regional chain. And a girl's shirt at Hot Topic. That's about it. but Lazlo has a comic by DC (shared with other CN stars) a couple toys by mattel and a mcDonald's Happy meal prize.

I mean, I can accept that Warner's wants to make products based on his creations, but I feel cheated that Viacom didn't.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, you know, I always waited for some kinds of Courage the Cowardly Dog merchandise, but CN never made them (though, like you said, he DOES share DC comics with the other CN stars, but the Courage comics for the past two years have been WAY to simplistic and "cookie-cutter" compared to the "true-to-the-show" comics from 2001 to 2005).

It's like after Codename: Kids Next Door came out, CN went "merchandise-happy" with each and every crappy new show they cranked out!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, you know, I always waited for some kinds of Courage the Cowardly Dog merchandise, but CN never made them (though, like you said, he DOES share DC comics with the other CN stars, but the Courage comics for the past two years have been WAY to simplistic and "cookie-cutter" compared to the "true-to-the-show" comics from 2001 to 2005).
The only Courage merchandise is scarce to find. I have some of it. one was a top from a box of cereal and another was one of those horrid Belly Washers drinks.

I remember seeing an article in a toy magazine that they were planning a CN toy line with Johnny Bravo and Cow and Chicken. I think Courage too, but I'm not sure.

I liked the KND toys because as you all know I like miniature figurine sets, Like M.U.S.C.L.E.s and such. I got most of them on sale, though.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
The happy mean toys have to be sared with other cartoon stars. I wonder if this is because none of them are famous enough to stand on there own?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Fosters is.... They had a BK promotion a year ago.

I did wind up getting the Lazlo ones, cuz I do enjoy the character designs... plus the woman only charged me a buck for both of them.

But CN's new march of totally pathetic cartoons is leading it to making equally pathetic live action shows that WON'T BE A DRAW.... DO YOU HEAR ME WARNERS? I'm beyond furious.