1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What did Waldorf and Statler do in Oz?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by HPDJ, Jun 19, 2005.

1. HPDJ

HPDJ Member

What did Waldorf and Statler do in MWoO???

I'm British and haven't seen the film yet, so I really don't know. What did Waldorf and Statler do in Muppet Oz? Where they themselves? Where they playing characters (e.g. Fozzie Bear as The Lion)? And more importantly, where they heckling? If you could tell me where/when they appeared, that would be much obliged. Thanks!

2. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

There was a part where Dorothy, Scarecrow, Tin Thing, Lion, and Toto had to walk over a log (like a bridge) and at the other side there was Statler and Waldorf trying to make them fall off. Yes they were heckling! :boo: :sleep:

As to what they were playing, I have no idea, sorry. They played something from the original book, which I've never read.

3. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I've read "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank L. Baum and I don't remember any characters like Statler and Waldorf's being in the book. Granted, it's been quite a few years since I've read it, but more than likely they were just invented for the movie.

4. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Weren't they just called "Critics" in the movie? Yeah, I dunno what species they were supposed to be either, but they looked like some kind of old creepy goat creatures.

5. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I gotta agree with BEAR and say goat

6. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Plead for a new gag writer.

7. pppapazo

pppapazo New Member

They played Kalidahs.

8. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

In the original book the kalidahs were viscious creatures that we're chasing them over the bridge. The joke was that statler and waldorf would tear you apart with their insults instead of their claws.

9. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Hey that would be a good comeback for Statler and Waldorf.

10. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Okay. Thanks for the info, DannyRWW. I was thinking after I posted the first time that there may have been such characters in the book, but I really couldn't remember for sure. It's been quite a while since I've read that book. :)

11. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

Hmm I didn't realize that. What a clever idea. I think that many of the bits and parallels were so clever. Such as the Statler/Waldorf thing, Fozzie as the Lion having stage fright, Rats as munchkins, Gonzo's robot thing.

12. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

Oy, that certainly smarts. **winces** :D

13. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

The only complaint I have right now is the lack of depth in Kermit's character. I wanted more from him. He just surfaced for me.

14. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

I've got to agree with you, Bryan. All the parallels drawn from the book made this film (IMHO) better than the MGM version. I suppose Sam having his biggest role in ten years helped too, though...