What do you really want to see from the Classic Muppets?

dwayne1115

Reaction score
With the Muppets getting geared up for what i think is something big. With Studio DC and the new Muppet comics, and more then likley some DVD's of the Muppet show comming out (Hopfully)

My question is what would really make the fans happy. I know a lot of people had somethings about Studio DC that they did not like. I for one thought that it was a start in the right dierection. My only problem was that i felt like most everyone that it was to short.
Anyways What do you fans really want to see from the Muppets is it that maigical feeling when they use to come on the screen or is it more of there relaitonships what is it? I would love to know what you fans really want.

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
I want to see the classic Muppet Show formula with the characters interacting on stage and "off-camera".

I thing it might be interesting to have a show that revolves around the Muppets making a movie. Like a Muppet film studios where either a) every episode is a new movie that has scenes that parody different film genres or b) each season, the Muppets make one movie, filmed on location in an American city (or where ever). Each episode would have segments of the film itself as well as on location interaction with each other and the average person on the street.

It would be a neat opportunity to do a show like that to promote the new Muppet movie, I think. Clips could be shown from the movie, as well as the Muppets opinions on the scenes they filmed.

I am not a huge fan of reality TV, but if the Muppets were to do something like this, I would watch it in a heartbeat.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I want to see the "wacky" again. Chickens, Gonzo stunts, corny jokes, the human being thrown into their world, not the other way around. I want the interaction "onstage" and off. I want the deepness you could sometimes find (like in Fraggle Rock) under the goofy upfront. That is the magic for me :smile:

And while the "adaptation" stuff can be good (Christmas Carol, Treasure Island), I think it's time they made another "original" movie. They're perfectly capable of handling their own material.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Yes, thats what they need to do. Go back to the Muppet Show formula. Seriously, the Weezer video on season 2 was great because they were back in the muppet theatre. If they have the set still, why not use it? Laetly it seems that the muppets have been used as backup to people. The Muppet show revolved around the muppets, despite there being a guest star, it didnt focus on the guest star. Thats what we need. And we need good guest stars, not these tween stars. Now I'm not saying that there should be no tween stars, but it should be limited to keep everyone happy.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I want more old time music numbers with Dixieland type adaptations mixed with funk like from TMS. I want them to concentrate more on being ridiculous and less on being hip or cute. I want less flavor-of-the-month guest stars (maybe no guest stars). I wasnt the extended family mixed back in occasionally (SS & FR). And most of all, I want the "buddy system" back; Fozzie, Gonzo & Kermit.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Well from what you all have said except for may Vic. I think they are at least starting to do that. If you look at Sex and Violence it was just the Muppets doing what they do best. Putting on a show and having crazy things go on backstage. Look at the new videos both on Muppets.com and youtube. They seem to be doing a little bit of the classic show and behind the scen type things. I also think that news of this new Pepe book is just one more step in the right Direction. The books are really a great way to get some one on one time with your favorit Muppets and hear how there life started and how they deal with some of the same things that we do. I'm really looking forward to seeing this new Pepe book, and can't wait to get the next one that comes out.
I'm going to try and buy and read all the way through before you leap. To get pumped up about the new book.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I would like to see more of classic characters like Scooter and Rowlf utilized and integrated into the core once more. In recent years Rizzo, Pepe and Clifford kind of took over their duties and/or visibility. Clifford has been all but phased out so he's not that much of an issue. Steve appears to be busier with Kermit lately so Rizzo appears a little less and Pepe has been getting a little more comfortable in his role that he's one of the gang now rather than the next big thing.

I would like to see the Muppets being themselves. If any spoofing or roles should be in brief sketches rather than a themed show. No more Muppets in Oz or underwater.

The Muppets are where they are. In recent years they have tried too hard to be hip or rehashed the same routine. They need to find a fresh yet classic perspective. The Kermit-Piggy relationship wasn't the only focus of the Muppet Show and she wasn't always so eager with him. A lot of the YouTube and Muppets.com stuff is closer to their roots. No big special effects or trendy songs. It's just fun.

Projects that I would like to see someday:

The new Muppet film, of course.
A new Muppet Show – definitely. Something geared toward the classic program.
Possibly a cartoon show for the Disney Channel – Pigs in Space done kind of like Kim Possible.
The Muppet Babies (redux project) – motion capture puppetry like the Hoobs. Something like this used to be in the works.

Products that I would like to see:

The complete soundtracks and music on CD.
Posters and Calendars with recent photos.
A nicely made Pepe plush along with Scooter, Rowlf and others.
Muppet skivvies for guys like H&M sells with Marvel characters on them.
A Muppet PS3 game. I would like to see the Muppets get the gaming treatment from the company setting the highest bar.
Small PVC Muppet moments (Beau mid-mop, Janice snuggling with Floyd, Scooter entering a dressing room door, Fozzie slipping on a banana peel, Gonzo on a motorcycle, that sort of thing).

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I can see that most everyone is saying that they want the same things to happen with the Muppets.

Frogboy I think that the products that you mentioned would be awesome. After hearing all the stuff that was on show 70 of the Muppetcast from Richard Hunt's past like some posters and records I think they should re relaese a lot of that stuff.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, a movie and a TV show are clearly obvious from me. Hopefully that great Segal and Stoller one. But we also need:

More Youtube videos, but more like Muppet Show skits, as the ones they have now are satires of what someone would actually put on video.

A new TV special with more adult friendly guest stars. Something for the fans who wouldn't want to watch DC almost Live...

More consumer goods. I like how you think, Frogboy... a set of PVC's, be they PVScenes or singluars that come with little bases. heck, a Muppets in my Pocket type deal would be okay by me too. We may never get the chance for action figures again, but PVC's and Plush are the way to go.

A DTV project that isn't so much a movie, but a series of sketches or something to that extent. Sort of like a TV special, but available on DVD. The only example I can think of, unfortunately, is Muppet Fairy Tale classics... but something a lot more mature than reinacting kiddy stories.

And definately a CD rerelease of all the Movie soundtracks possible (at least the movies Disney owns the rights to) as well as all the TV show albums, preferably in one collection- similar to the Fraggle release.

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I definitely concur on the soundtrack releases - Fraggle Rock is more obscure and niche than the Muppets, and they still got a rerelease - so I think the Muppets deserve the same treatment.

Oh, and frogboy, I agree, please give the "old school" Muppets like Rowlf and Scooter some attention, too. I miss them :frown:

I forgot to add before, I want the Muppet Babies released on DVD - and I mean all of it, not a "best ofs," "fan selection" or whatever. Impossible, I know, but a girl can dream.