What Do You Think About MTI Figures?

camax

Reaction score
I made it just outside the majority at 32, but I'm definitely male, and so far haven't had an interest in getting the Series 1 Piggy. Seems to be quite popular that most were disappointed with that figure. The boa version is definitely better, and Pigs In Space another step up. The biker Piggy from The Great Muppet Caper would be hilarious, but the one that would be hardest to resist for me personally would be Nurse Piggy.

camax

Reaction score
Originally posted by Gonzo the Grape
For me, I don't want to see MTI anyone, just because it was a bad movie (IN MY OPINION!). I was bummed when I saw that Sam was Sam Arrow. So many better options to choose from.
That's so odd - when I first saw Muppet Treasure Island, I wasn't too impressed either, and in fact had the same problem with Muppet Christmas Carol too. Muppets From Space was more a return to the grand old days for me. BUT that was then, when I rented Muppet Treasure Island months ago, my kids 7 & 4 laughed their heads off and loved it, so I naturally got a kick out of it too. It seems a lot more funny these days then it did back then, and we had to buy the DVD and watch it often. I wouldn't really want any figures from the movie myself, except as mentioned, Clueless Morgan and then of course Big Fat Ugly Bug Faced Baby Eating Obrien :wink:

Luke

Reaction score
Re: Guys,

Originally posted by Warrick
All of this Piggy stuff i have, Im not embarassed one bit.
You're a special case Warrick ! LOL !

:rolleyes:

Baby Animal

Reaction score
Originally posted by camax
I wouldn't really want any figures from the movie myself, except as mentioned, Clueless Morgan and then of course Big Fat Ugly Bug Faced Baby Eating Obrien :wink:
I want the Old Tom, Really Old Tom and Dead Tom set! Gimme... gimme gimme

Altough Big Fat Ugly Bug Faced Baby Eating Obrien would be good too.

Tony

GPrime1

Reaction score
I agree, I didn't like MTI all that much, and watching it today hasn't really changed my opinion. Some of it was good, I really liked Sam and Dead Tom, but it was pretty weak overall. The music was just horrible....But, since there are some excellent designs of these characters that were used in the film, I don't object to a few being made (i.e. Sam, Smollett), but I agree with what Luke said, I'm not really interested in supporting a parade of MTI figures. Maybe that could be an idea for a PVC set for those that can't live without 'em.

Stryder Wolfe

Reaction score
out of all the varients discussed for all the muppets, I think MTI based ones are the least interesting. I don't even want to think of Sam as a pirate, but rather as a Patirot, as the costume's basically the same....

I don't know why that is, because in general I like pirates, and I liked the movie too....it just doesn't scream "gimme figures"....

WiGgY

Reaction score
Sam's not a pirate. He's an officer. I loved the movie though. The songs were great. It's defianlt more upbeat than some of the other movies. I'd watch MTI over MFS. I don't understand why so many people don't like MTI. The only thing I can think of is that it's post Jim and Richard. Other than that the movie was great.

Baby Animal

Reaction score
Personally, I think MTI was a great film. Good music, good story, good puppetry and a sense of humor that kids get, but adults enjoy more. I was greatly disappointed with Muppets from Space, considering that all Muppet Movies before this time had original music. Was there one original song in that movie? I walked out of the theater thinking that it was the worst movie I had ever seen in my life and Jim Henson would have been very disappointed. I'll have to see it again to see if it's any better. Back to the point, MTI was a good muppet movie with great songs that I enjoyed. I still want my Tom set.

Tony

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by WiGgY
The only thing I can think of is that it's post Jim and Richard.
It wasn't that great, the boy in it was a bit lame, the look and script was a bit too 'Disney' and yeah, half the problem was the lack of Jim and Richard - it was soonish after and for fans who were used to their style, this film didn't have a patch on it. Obviously the kids who were just growing up in the period of the Disney/Henson films, Muppet Babies they wouldn't have been exposed to the really good stuff at that time so they would have really liked it. The films didn't do well financially, were badly promoted and the puppeteers and creators weren't completely happy with the overall result due to Diz interfering. Actually 'Muppets From Space' is much more in the creative and humor style of the original Muppet movies than either of the Diz films.