What do you think of Abby Caddaby so far?

SSLFan

Reaction score

Well, Sesame Street's newest muppet Abby Caddaby made her debut back in Season 37, but this season, Season 38, she really has had her chance to shine, since she's being featured in every episode this season. But anyways, do you like her? How long do you think she'll last? I pretty much find her nice and adorable, although I just hope she isn't a victim to "overexposure" like another furry red friend of ours.So, what are your thoughts on Abby so far?​

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I like her, I think she's OK. And I'm glad they've added another female character to the group. Though, I still don't understand why girls need yet another "pretty princess" role model. ::shrugs::

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
I don't know. They seem to be making the same mistake with her that they did with Elmo. They seem to be overusing her and not giving the other main characters (ex: Big Bird) much screen time. I'm thinking we may soon be seeing "Tickle Me Abby's" and stuff like that. As for female characters, I think they've been good in that area with Zoe and Rosita. For the most part, I think she was better last season when she only appeared in three episodes and they didn't overuse her.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to say, they use her a lot in this season, while they didn't use her enough last season to really make her a character and not a walking T-shirt quote machine. He first appearance was spitting out catchphrases in a see what sticks deal. But I feel they have really made her a character in the last several episodes. They even hinted at the fact she can't do anything without the aide of magic today (Baby Bear and the Crayon) which seems like it could be the source of a very interresting storyline later on.

So, while I can't say she's my favorite, I don't hate her quite as much anymore. In fact I quite enjoy her. And I do think she has strayed from the "Pretty Princess" mold she started in last season. She's become a defective character in her own right. By defective, I mean someone either clumbsy, ineffectual, unaware, and or just prone to mistakes. While not quite Sherlock hemlock or Mumford in that level of defectiveness, she comes off a little funnier than a standard "Just learning the biz" youngster.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Abby Cadabby is wonderful. She's appearing in small amounts all over the new season, placed about in a way that doesn't at all feel intrusive for the viewer.

As father of my own little girl, I'm not a fan of our society's role in (under)developing "pretty princess" characters to make a buck at the expense of breeding our children to be shallow and one dimensional. It's refreshing to see a cute little girly girl who's smart and inquisitive. She's an inspired and inspiring character who's not afraid to wear pink.

Between Zoe and Rosita, she provides the perfect balance for Sesame's Girls Club. Put em all together with Elizabeth, Roxy Marie and some of the other girls, and we're ready for a remake of "Women Can Be." Girls Rule!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I felt Elizabeth (unlike the others you mentioned) wasn't a character at all, she was just a one note joke about a kid who liked her cat a little too much. But I agree otherwise.

It is VERY hard to develope a female character. Flaws usually make a good character, and adding flaws to any ethnic or female character will get some group angry at you.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I like Abby, I've always liked Abby, I think she's a nice little addition to the whole big Sesame family... but like a lot of people here, there IS also the concern that she could very well be the next Elmo.

But until that day comes (IF it ever comes), I saw, let her continue to turn things into pumpkins! Who knows? The little trick of her's might come in handy come Halloween!

Drtooth

Reaction score
↑​

Sounds like a good idea for a new special.... hint hint.