1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What do you think of Abby Caddaby so far?

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by SSLFan, Aug 27, 2007.

1. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Well, Sesame Street's newest muppet Abby Caddaby made her debut back in Season 37, but this season, Season 38, she really has had her chance to shine, since she's being featured in every episode this season. But anyways, do you like her? How long do you think she'll last? I pretty much find her nice and adorable, although I just hope she isn't a victim to "overexposure" like another furry red friend of ours.So, what are your thoughts on Abby so far?​

2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I like her, I think she's OK. And I'm glad they've added another female character to the group. Though, I still don't understand why girls need yet another "pretty princess" role model. ::shrugs::
  3. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I don't know. They seem to be making the same mistake with her that they did with Elmo. They seem to be overusing her and not giving the other main characters (ex: Big Bird) much screen time. I'm thinking we may soon be seeing "Tickle Me Abby's" and stuff like that. As for female characters, I think they've been good in that area with Zoe and Rosita. For the most part, I think she was better last season when she only appeared in three episodes and they didn't overuse her.
  4. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I think she's kind of sweet though I hate that dress she wears.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I have to say, they use her a lot in this season, while they didn't use her enough last season to really make her a character and not a walking T-shirt quote machine. He first appearance was spitting out catchphrases in a see what sticks deal. But I feel they have really made her a character in the last several episodes. They even hinted at the fact she can't do anything without the aide of magic today (Baby Bear and the Crayon) which seems like it could be the source of a very interresting storyline later on.

So, while I can't say she's my favorite, I don't hate her quite as much anymore. In fact I quite enjoy her. And I do think she has strayed from the "Pretty Princess" mold she started in last season. She's become a defective character in her own right. By defective, I mean someone either clumbsy, ineffectual, unaware, and or just prone to mistakes. While not quite Sherlock hemlock or Mumford in that level of defectiveness, she comes off a little funnier than a standard "Just learning the biz" youngster.
  6. scarecroe

scarecroe Active Member

Abby Cadabby is wonderful. She's appearing in small amounts all over the new season, placed about in a way that doesn't at all feel intrusive for the viewer.

As father of my own little girl, I'm not a fan of our society's role in (under)developing "pretty princess" characters to make a buck at the expense of breeding our children to be shallow and one dimensional. It's refreshing to see a cute little girly girl who's smart and inquisitive. She's an inspired and inspiring character who's not afraid to wear pink.

Between Zoe and Rosita, she provides the perfect balance for Sesame's Girls Club. Put em all together with Elizabeth, Roxy Marie and some of the other girls, and we're ready for a remake of "Women Can Be." Girls Rule!
  7. Drtooth

Actually, I felt Elizabeth (unlike the others you mentioned) wasn't a character at all, she was just a one note joke about a kid who liked her cat a little too much. But I agree otherwise.

It is VERY hard to develope a female character. Flaws usually make a good character, and adding flaws to any ethnic or female character will get some group angry at you.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I like Abby, I've always liked Abby, I think she's a nice little addition to the whole big Sesame family... but like a lot of people here, there IS also the concern that she could very well be the next Elmo.

But until that day comes (IF it ever comes), I saw, let her continue to turn things into pumpkins! Who knows? The little trick of her's might come in handy come Halloween!
  9. Drtooth

↑​

Sounds like a good idea for a new special.... hint hint.
  10. heralde

Yeah, that does sound like a good idea...
  11. D'Snowth

And I was just being hypothetical!

Man, I'm a GENIUS!
  12. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Abby Cadabby is neat, even though I admit she's starting to be over-exposed. At first I thought they were going to incorporate her into each street scene, but I'm glad to know it's mostly segments. But I still hope she doesn't become another Elmo!
  13. Daffyfan2003

I agree with you there, Muppet Dude. It's kind of hard to believe a lot of people here like Abby. I guess I don't dislike her. I just feel like she's sort of overrated.
  14. D'Snowth

She's only been in three episodes last season, and so far, only nine episodes of this season have aired, and in some of those episodes, she only appears at the very end to do the sponsors... HOW can she be over-rated?
  15. heralde

Yeah it's more like the hype around her is overrated, rather than the character herself.
  16. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Exactly! She isn't overrated yet, in my opinion. I'm just a little nervous about SesameWorkshop's plan to put her in each episode, but so far it's mostly minor appearances. I'm cool with these minor appearances, though.
  17. Drtooth

Hey, if SS doesn't hype stuff up every season, they lose more viewers to inferior children's programming.

Look at what happened when Cookie Monster had to teach healthy eating habits. At least it got nervous old school fans watching.
  18. Daffyfan2003

Okay, so maybe 'overrated' was the wrong term, but I do think she's used more than necessary considering she is scheduled to appear in nearly every ep this season. But I have missed a few eps because of work so maybe I'm wrong about her being overused. She seemed to be okay last season when she was only in three episodes and other characters got more airtime. I guess I said that quite a bit before so I guess I'll keep quiet now. Lol.
  19. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

To me the Kid a rookie since this is her First FULL TIME season. ;)

However I believe she is starting to get the hang of being one of the gang. :)

Besides it about time we had another SS female character who can play a major role on the show. :)
  20. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Thought of Something Funny.

Mumford is jealous of her and gives Abby a hard time about it and in fustraition she waves her wand and his clothes disappear.