What Does LLC Stand For?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm aware that INC is short of incorporated and CORP is short for corporation and what not, but what exactly does LLC stand for, and is it corporate-related as well?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah... Either Limited Liability Company or Corporation. Both mean the same thing. Hope this helps Snowth.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Limited Line of Credit is what I've always heard, but that's really what Gelfling Girl just said - Limited Liability Company.

It's traditionally a way for small businesses to borrow money in order to make money. It's also protection from the tax man. Disney had designated the Muppets to an LLC so that it can independently operate. There are many LLC of different sizes. Palisades Toys was an LLC. The small store I manage is also an LLC.

To break it down, it's an easy way for a small fish with a business idea (like you or me) to act and operate as a corporation without the government or creditors taking your house if the business tanks. They'd only be able to go after articles from the LLC business itself. It has become one of the most popular ways to do business.

Edit - to Count's post and my post too
Believe it or not Company and Corporation mean different things. My brother who went to business school actually corrected me on this a few years back when I used to the 20th Century Fox tagline "A News Corporation Company" was redundant. In a company you can sue the individual people, in a corporation you can only sue the business. There's a lot more legal mumbo jumbo on top of it, but that's what I took from it. Hope that helps.