1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What episodes scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Snuffylover, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Snuffylover

Snuffylover New Member

I figured i'd make this thread here since there is a similar one on the sesame street board. I'm just wondering which Fraggle Rock episodes seemed scary to you? For me it was The River of Life, I was horrified when the Fraggle drank the poison water and I remember thinking they were all gonna die. And Wembley's Wonderful Whoopie Water. I was about 4 years old when I first saw that one, and was terrified when I saw Gobo on the ledge of the bottomless pit. So how about the rest of you? Any scary Fraggle Rock memories, that don't seem quite as bad now that your'e an adult?

2. Justoneperson

Justoneperson New Member

I can't think of any specific episodes, but I was afraid of Junior Gorg when I was a kid.

3. Quazimoto

Quazimoto Active Member

Only one episode ever scared me, even when I was a kid... "Red's Sea Monster" ...The Lily Creature monster really freaked me out everytime I saw it until I was about ten or eleven years old.

4. Shade601

Shade601 New Member

aw, Junior's my favorite. he's truly the essence of innocence. he's a big adorable lovable lump and he's malleable and open minded, he represents the new generation, while his parents remained old fashioned, traditional, and closed minded, he always seemed to be ready to learn a new way. i like him better than everyone else..when he finally saw the world from the perspective of a fraggle it all became clear to him. i SOBBED when he hurled the crown during his coronation. lol

5. Justoneperson

Justoneperson New Member

Yeah, I don't get it either. I was also afraid of this Disney logo when I was younger, so I guess I was just a weird kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq0gwpYYX3I

6. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

I will have to say that there are definitely a few Fraggle Rock episodes that were a bit freaky- it's not a big deal when you're older, but Jim Henson definitely had a way of sneaking in a little bit of scariness in most of his Muppet productions- including Fraggle Rock and Sesame Street- and perhaps The Muppet Show to some degree too. But I think it was sort of the macabre approach that The Addams Family and The Munsters had- it was typically played off with comedy. And it usually had a deeper lesson to be learned through it- this is pretty easily particularly with a lot of the Ed Sullivan Show sketches. And some I think were just to be weird.:crazy::)

7. fixer79

fixer79 New Member

I don't remember any specific episode, but the Gorg family scared me enormously.

I vividly remember having nightmares as a kid in which Pa Gorg was in our living room and I (being the size of a Fraggle) had to hide under our stereo cupboard. Suddenly I saw his big eyes peering under the cupboard and when he spotted me, he tried to claw under it to get me.

Strong stuff, those Fraggle episodes... :)

8. superboober

superboober Member

One that really got to me was Bored Stiff. Seeing our heroes comatized and blank, unable to say anything beyond, "BOOOOORRRING," (although Gobo yelling the "HEEELLLLLLLLPP!" trigger phrase into Mokey's face to test the bordeom juice's effectiveness and getting the aforementioned response for it does come off for me as unintentionally hilarious) was quite traumatizing at age 3, especially since at that age you had no way of knowing it could be reversed before it was revealed there was an antidote; this is something all would-be terrorists in the world should be made to look at before they decide to go about such business and see how people can be hurt. Similarly, seeing everyone frozen into Fragglecicles in The Bells of Fraggle Rock for not having rung their bells in time was also disturbing--indeed, in the pantheon of holiday specials, only Frosty's melting was more horrifying for me--and again at a young age, you're not sure if it can be reversed, having heard earlier the Rock would freeze for good if this were to happen.

9. beakerfan76

beakerfan76 Member

I'd say Blanket of Snow, Blanket of Woe. Yeah, sounds like a pathetic answered compared to other's opinions, but I always liked the Trash Heap, and I genuinely thought she was going to die freezing to death. Funny because I'm not a huge fan of the cold, and I think this episode is what did it.

Revisiting the series as a teenager, I saw some other things that'd put this episode to shame, have I seen them in my younger days (Boober and the Glob, thanks to the titular blob being a Doozer eating machine.) Though to be fair, it seems like a nod to The Blob, but that's another topic entirely.

10. Fraggline

Fraggline Active Member

First of all, I was terrified of certain logos (a Sears one in particular---completely drove me away from watching an entire TV show just because Sears sponsored it), so naaah, you aren't a weirdo!

And second of all, I'm Just One Person on another website! Hey! We're name buddies!

11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I was never really scared of the Gorgs; they were more funny than scary really. But I remember being really disturbed by the Genie episode, particularly where he ends up controlling all the Fraggles. That bothered me for days afterward, lol.

12. SweetMayhem

SweetMayhem New Member

There were a few episodes that I found creepy/suspenseful that scared me a bit or put me on edge as a kid. One was definitely the Mudwell episode. The look of the character scared me and then when he got angry and started yelling at Wembley it freaked me out. I did like his song though...

13. PetalGelfling

PetalGelfling New Member

Bottom Side kind of scared me when i was little. I also was afraid of the Trash Heap....

14. PetalGelfling

PetalGelfling New Member

LOL! *Sidebottom.....yeah...... thats what i meant O.O

15. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Wow! There are very few that did scare as a kid.
    The one scene in "I Don't Care" when Boober pushed Wembley to a Doozer construction and he got knocked unconsciousness. *shudders*

"The River of Life"
    I almost felt like crying when all the Fraggles (except Boober) got sick from the poisoned water.

"Wembley and the Mean Genie"
    Not only did that mean genie scared me as a kid, I had nightmares of him. *shudders*

I was even scared of Gorgs as a youngster. I would have bad dreams where Junior Gorg was chasing me.

16. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

It was such a long time ago; I forget the name. But it was some episode in which this little "thing" kept calling and disturbing Mokey from a play rehearsal with the rest of her friends, and eventually she turned really tiny.

17. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Begoony and he is from the episode, "The Incredible Shrinking Mokey."

Bridget likes this.
  18. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

Yes that is it, thank you Colly!

Twisted Tails likes this.