What happened to Shurlock Hemlock?

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
There is another reason:

The writers or the performers of any given old character got tired of performing and or writing for the character. There is just so much matereal you can write for some before they get to be routine. Certain characters on the show nowadays have the same problem with being routine, but they are more popular, and the performers didn't grow tired of them yet.

And another thing... am I the only one who doesn't care they got rid of Herbert Birdsfoot? I recal hearing Jerry got sick of the character.
I have to disagree with you. I think all Sesame Street charachters could be timeless if the writers put their minds to it. Why do you think wev'e had charachters like Grover, Cookie Monster, and Ernie and Bert who are still going strong after 37 years. I think if you shake things up a little with a charachter you can break away from the whole routine thing. A few examples

Fat Blue used to always be seen in Charlie's restaurant with Grover as his incompetent waiter. After a while they started putting Fat Blue in various locations, Like a Fast Food Restaurant, A Bakery, A Taxi Cab, The Park etc.
Now I know they don't use Fat Blue very often anymore, but I believe it is only because of Jerry Nelson not being able to perform all the time like he used to.

The Amazing Mumford for the first 4 times or so he was on. Was on a stage in front of an Audience putting on a real Magic show. Three times with Grover, and once with Cookie Monster. After a while, they started having Mumford in various locations as well, and there was even some main storylines that revolved around him in the 70's, 80's, 90's, as well as the 2000's. He isn't seen as much either, but he was there once last year, and again I think it has to do with Jerry's Health.

As for Herbert Birdsfoot. Well I am the same age as you, so I didn't grow up during the time when the charachter was being feautured in new material, so I never really missed him. But there are people on this board who grew up in the 70's and probably do miss seeing him around. They reran old clips with him in them right up until 2001 (before they changed the format) So it's not like he was that short lived. He lived on, in insertland that is.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I hope that Sherlock Hemlock appears in the upcomming old school set. None of his skits have ever been released on video in the United States, and I don't think he has ever appeared in new footage for any video releases.

Cookie fan

Reaction score
Herbert Birdsfoot may not have been the most exciting muppet there was but there's still a part of me that would've liked to see him arund a little longer, even if he was used in background material. It's good to see a familiar face, I especially miss Roosevelt Franklin.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I hope that Sherlock Hemlock appears in the upcomming old school set. None of his skits have ever been released on video in the United States, and I don't think he has ever appeared in new footage for any video releases.
here here

minor muppetz

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
What's that supposed to mean?
I think that is supposed to mean that he (or she) agrees with what I am said about hoping that Sherlock Hemlock will be included in the old school set.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Were there any Sherlock Hemlock sketches produced in the 1980s? All Sherlock Hemlock sketches I can think of were either made in the 1970s or the early 1990s. He did appear in the background of such 1980s productions as The Muppets Take Manhattan, Follow That Bird, The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty Years, and A Muppet Family Christmas, but I can't think of any starring roles he had (outside of books) during the 1980s. I also can't remember if he ever appeared in the street plots.

In fact, come to think of it, how often did he appear with characters other than Ernie? With the exception of X Marks the Spot, Mystery Guest, and the Mysterious Theater sketches, I can't think of any sketches he was in that didn't feature Ernie.