1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What I think happened...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Drtooth, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

..concerning Disney's lack of Muppet attention lately.

I feel that the only reason Disney bought the Muppets was after negotiations with Pixar broke down, and they were purchased on the rebound as a way to glom onto something with some quality to it. You see, Disney's last few animated films weren't a draw (at least the ones after Lilo and Stitch), so Disney either needed to get back with Pixar or get someone else to help them out.

CHicken Little did pretty well, but The Wild was a flop. And I don't care who came up with the idea first, but Madagascar was the superior one. I mean the Wild had Jim Belushi... who were they kidding?

Anyway, when Disney decided to buy Pixar, they felt they could exploit their stuff some more, and they felt they didn't need the Muppets.... which is why all the products seemed to mysteriously vanish after the buy out.

2. travellingpat

travellingpat Active Member

Hmmm good point

3. DeadZone

DeadZone New Member

So I guess the reasoning for getting the Muppets differs from what the deal was to be in 1990 or so?

4. OverUnderAround

OverUnderAround New Member

I do think that the days of computer animated movies being a financial blockbuster is pretty much over since they are becoming a pretty common site in films and TV. (With the exception of some gems like Dreamwork’s continuing series of 'Shrek' films.)

Pixar will always produce quality work, but the financial success Disney hopes will eventually fade, as people get tired of CGI cartoons over the coming years.

...And perhaps then, Disney will finally see the light and develop the Muppets into a financial blockbuster.

5. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Interesting theory, but why just ignore the Muppets after they got PIXAR back without even trying to make 'em work? I'd really like to hear Karen Prell's take on all this because she has the ability to see both sides of the coin. Of course a candid conversation may be out of the question. :smirk:

6. KermieBaby47

KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Let's hope so!! I've had a "wait and see" attitude about the whole thing for a while now. I've been waiting, and I still don't see anything spectacular. Hoping that they're just taking their time to release quality stuff.

As for CGI, I was tired of it almost from the beginning. Not Pixar or Shrek and good stuff like that, but the overkill is KILLING ME!! Especially when Disney got the bright idea to shutdown traditional animation. What a bunch of narrow-minded something-or-others.

:)

7. MuppetMarc

MuppetMarc New Member

Sounds logical.

I PREFER PUPPETS OVER COMPUTER ANIMATION ANY DAY!!!!!!
    (not to say I don't like cg, but puppets rock my socks off!:excited: )

8. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

Makes sense, plus Isner was apprently the guy who wanted the muppets. The new guy hasn't shown much interest at all from the lack of productions.

As for 3d animated movies, there are WAY too many. There use to be like 1 or 2 a year, now there are like 15! It's just crazy. No one else is doing puppets in the movie theaters. Disney should use what it's got and put out a quality muppet movie. One that is not a story remake. One that uses GOOD human actors.

9. Marky

Marky Member

CGI has its place. George Lucas (Lucasfilm pioneered Pixar for those who don't know) saw to that. Movies like Toy Story were quite something at the time. Now they're cranking them out a little too frequently. The last great one was Finding Nemo. It had heart and humor with wide appeal, not unlike the Muppets.

But now Sony's in on it, and Dreamworks has been sub-par for a while. Once I heard they were doing 'Cars' I thought 'who cares'? It's all formula now. And now there's a third ant-based one by as many companies??? Yeesh.

I do praise the level of realism CG effect have taken, even from four years ago. And no one does that better than Lucas!

As for CGI Muppets... er...
    Don't give 'em ideas! They'd probably try something that tacky and contradictory. If you're going to rip out the whole art and skill of puppetry out of it, why not do something cheaper, like standard animation? (Right... they did that in the 80's with Muppet Babies. At least that was cute a the time).

10. KermieBaby47

LOL, you're kidding right?

Don'ta getta me wrongo, I LOVE Star Wars. But the CGI in the prequels man, I've seen Saturday Morning "cartoons" with better effects. If they could just perfect the shadows on CGI beings, creatures, and objects, then it'd be, well, perfect.

King Kong is the best I've seen, I think. Pretty tired right now. Oh yeah, War of the Worlds looked 100% real too.

But then again, those were all by ILM right? Maybe not. Like I said, tired.

*Case In Point* Episode III, you can always tell when it's real R2 and CG R2 y'know? A lot of the sets too, and Clones.

P.S. I thought Cars had loads of heart. Very predictable, but still, hearty.

11. Marky

Marky Member

I didn't see King Kong. But yes, ILM did War of the Worlds (and pretty much all of Speilberg's stuff since JP). They also came in at the last minute and saved Peter Jackson's behind with the LOTR trilogy.

In fact, anytime you see CG effects done by anyone, you have ILM's innovative work and willingness to make such tools available for all film makers. They created and pioneered it!!

12. KermieBaby47

Oh yeah man, that's common knowledge. But please tell me you're with me on the R2 stuff!

Cheers!
    :)
    Anthony

EDIT: I think I'm muffining! Not on purpose though. Apologies. :D

13. Marky

Marky Member

You mean on Greivous's ship? Yeah. some shots where he's crashing around - he moves too fast and cartoony. His scale and weight look wrong when they do that - kind of like the 1st Spiderman.

BTW - pardon my ignorance, but what does 'muffining' mean?

14. OverUnderAround

Marky, you owe it to yourself to see 'King Kong'.
    Not only was it an excellent use of CGI, but it was a good action movie too.

Personally I've never cared for monkey movies, but this one was great.

15. Marky

Marky Member

Yeah... I think I'll check it out sometime. Maybe over (Canadian) Thanksgiving next weekend. Cheers.

16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Actually I liked Madagascar more than the Wild, BUT the animation on Madagascar looked like it was from 1997...just horrid, while the Wild looked absolutely beautiful.

But geez, how many animal cgi movies come out a year? I lost count.
    (Open Season, Over the Hedge, Valiant, Barn Yard, Hoodwinked, Chicken Little,
    Ice Age 2, etc)

I liked chicken Little, and I LOVED Robots. I think Monsters Inc is perhaps the best out of all of them, finding Nemo was great too.

I feel that Cars is by far the worst Pixar film, followed by A Bug's Life(liked Antz way better) I don't have much hope for Ratoulouie.

We all know Muppets were Eisner's thing...and some thing Igre is kicking the Muppets down the tubes as a psuedo spite to Eisner and or seeing it as unimportant.

I myself would LOVE to know JHC and Muppeteers TRUE feelings on where the Muppets are at and their future.

I think they should speak out, since they've put the world into them.

Outsiders may think we are fringe...those who see the Muppets as not some kiddy era specific nostalgia...but a constant. Something that will always be here to entertain, make us laugh, provoke ideas, and provide a global sense of wonder.

I don't know how better to articulate my extreme frustration at the Muppets current situation, and I dare say it doesnt seem like hardly anyone is speaking out or doing anything about it(Jim Hill, where are ya?)

As I said in my thread, what IS there to look forward to?

17. OverUnderAround

As far as Sesame Street goes I did learn from a Sesame Street source that a number of months back Sesame did have a special training class for the current Sesame Muppeteers hosted by Frank Oz.

Seems Frank was invited to train the current crop of Sesame Muppeteers to perform more 'Old School.' To try and bring back the magic that the Sesame muppets once had.

Hopefully we'll see if his knowledge and skills translates into a better Sesame Street next season.

18. Marky

Marky Member

Well that'd be great, I guess. I don't really watch that show anymore myself, but today's kids deserve the same magic I had watching it for sure. Hearing about that old-school DVD set made me happy though (I'm born in '73).

19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Excellent. Shows Oz still cares. And I now admit, it was in the longrun GOOD Sesame Street seceded from JHC, otherwise who knows...Disney mighta gobbled em off. With the exception of Washington politicians, Sesame Street can never be shelved or taken away(only destroyed from the inside out by too much Elmo:) )

20. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Muffining is when a thread goes seriously off-topic.

beaker, you said that you would like to see what JHC and the Muppeteers think of what's going on? I'd kinda like to know what's going on. HA! I saw the "Save the Muppets" petition, and I honestly can't figure it out. I haven't seen any official announcement or anything about this, other than Statler and Waldorf bit and the auditionings a few months back. What is it?