What if Palisades could manufacture Henson DVDs???

petrieboy

Reaction score
Is there any word about Muppets Tonight and The Jim Henson Hour (The Storyteller) being considered for DVD? I doubt it, since Fraggle Rock is having such a tough time making it. And what about "Dinosaurs?"
If they really wanted to, they could fit every Jim Henson Hour with all the Storytellers onto one single (dual layer or 2 disc) DVD.
Does anyone know why companies are so stingy with the quantity of episodes on DVDs... like the Farscape series--- you have to pay over 100 dollars for the "box set" of season 1... even though they could fit all the episodes onto a couple discs. I don't get it. If I owned a company, I wouldn't let so much good stuff go to waste. I'd compact it all and release it- it's old stuff afterall, what are they waiting for. What really is so hard about it? And (Sorry to keep going... but) it's the same thing as widescreen/pan and scan. I really have come to the point where I just think companies are complete idiots. How is it so hard to include both versions onto one disc? You'd think they would check websites by fans for information before making stupid decisions. Palisades seems to be the only company who cares- wish they could get the rights to release some Jim Henson DVD/music products.
When the Fraggles do eventually come to DVD, I hope it will be complete, and by season, instead of some choppy "select episodes" type thing.

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
Yeah, it's all about $$$. If you put say, six episode per disc than you would only have the potential to sell half as many units as if you put three episodes per disc. It's not as good a value for the consumer to get only three per disc. But how often does anybody go into business to make the best possible product at the lowest possible profit? Except for Palisades apparently. :wink:
J~

petrieboy

Reaction score
I understand that companies want to sell as many dvd units as possible, but there are so many episodes and shows going to waste anyway, that it doesn't make any sense.
Are they honestly planning on releasing every single Muppet Show episode through Time Life? That's going to be, what, another 30 dvds (or more)? Hey, maybe they are. Then we can all buy a truckload. Maybe they wanted to leave it open to actually releasing the whole series, so they said "Lets be careful and only put 3 on each disc, so if the demand is high we can keep it going as a series til the very last episode." But if they are not going to do that, isn't it a shame that they could have given consumers the entire archive of Muppet Show by putting (9?) episodes on each dvd.. and simultaneously making the product a lot more appealing to consumers (e.g. selling more of the dvds anyway.)
Alright, lets say that they do decide to release "The Storyteller" on DVD. We all know that instead of making ONE awesome dvd that everyone will definitely buy, with all 9 episodes, (But they want to sell more DVD units, you say... fine then release all the other shows that no one is releasing-- Dinosaurs, Fraggle Rock...that will make up for more units) They are going to split them onto about 3 dvds, like they already have in Scandinavia. And fine. But what will happen to the Jim Henson Hour's "muppet" segment. That show was not just about The Storyteller. Jim worked hard on the Muppet segment too- so why is it lost and forgotten? If they're going to divide The Storyteller into different discs to make more money, at least throw in The whole Jim Henson hours. On the main menu you could select to watch the whole show or just click on "The Storyteller." It seems to me that they could make really cool looking covers that incorporate the Muppets and the Storyteller stories- it would work as a double ad, so that people who loved the storyteller would know what it is, and people who dont know what the storyteller is but love the muppets, would pick it up. Remember the opening sequence of The Jim Henson Hour, where the creature shop creatures all gaze into a crystal ball? It could show them, along with muppets, gazing into it... and inside the crystal ball is a big clear photo from The Storyteller... but the actual DVD would say at the top "THE JIM HENSON HOUR" Because give me a break... if they release The Storyteller as is, like they did with the VHS version, we are NEVER going to get "the other half of the Jim Henson Hour" released on DVDs. It is more understandable for VHS... people would have to fast forward through all the Muppet stuff. Blessed DVD, you can click at the start.