What if the New Muppet Movie's Villain had a Muppet Sidekick?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Please note that the following is just speculation and wishful thinking about The Mupets new movie, and as far as I know has not been rumored beforehand.

I've been thinking, about the upcoming Muppet movie (whatever they decide to call it); Could it be possible that the villian might have a Muppet sidekick (I know, anything is possible...)?

It would be interesting. Though if this is going to be a "classic-style" Mupet movie the villian probably shouldn'y have a Muppet sidekick (Doc Hopper and Nicky Holiday didn't). But still, what if there is a Muppet workign for the villian?

Seeing that this will be about the Muppets reuniting (though they've NEVER REALLY BEEN SEPERATED AT ALL!) I could see a classic character joining the villian. Don't know if J.P. Grosse would join somebody wanting to tear down his theater for oil, but it would be interesting if an existing obscure character were to join him. Maybe Mildred or Hilda, for being dropped after the first season (though I wonder if anybody would bother to train a new performer on how to perform Eren Ozker's characters). Or perhaps Angus McGonacle (as revenge for not getting his guest spot).

Heck, this would be a good way to use Pepe. Seems like its rumored he's not in it (he's not in any of the publicity photos I've seen, and I think the review of the script said that he wasn't in the script). After being such a main character all these years (even without a consistient Muppet series) it would be a shame for Pepe to suddenly be dropped, especially since his performer is still an active part of the Muppet family. Would the sudden absense of Pepe be as shocking as the sudden absense of Rowlf and Scooter during most of the 1990s? Sure, any other major character could join the villian, but which character would be appropriate to work for the villian?

Then again, considering Walter is supposed to be a Muppet fan, maybe the villian could have a sidekick who in the context of the movie used to be one of the Muppets but got fired and joined the villian, and was so obscure that nobody knows who he is. Or even a character who once auditioned for the Muppets but got rejected and would do anything to stop the Muppets.

In a way this would also be a good way to use Uncle Deadley, though I don't know if he'd care about how known he is to the point of wanting to help the villian. I guess it would be too much to wish for Digit or Seymour to work for the villian (though that'd be an awesome surprise!). Clifford would make sense since he hosted Muppets Tonight and then more-or-less got dropped, but I don't expect Clifford to have any notable parts in this unless he's just in the background (unless Kevin Clash surprises us by participating).

Please note that this was just a speculation/wish and is not rumored anywhere online.

beaker

Reaction score
It would be shocking and terrible if Pepe is not included as one of the main core Muppets...a major major faux paus on the part of Segal and the entire Disney and Muppet crew if that pans out.

But I hear you on the idea of a Muppet sidekick to the Chris Cooper character. However I'm thinking it should be a new Muppet created specifically for the movie. Maybe one even slightly Creature Shop-esque.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't like the idea of Pepe being a toadie for the bad guy. He flirted with that to an extent in VMX, and this film's plot is pretty close to that project as it is.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Considering all the talk and images we've had about Walter, I wonder what the chances are that the film will have more original puppet characters who just haven't been mentioned in press releases or interviews.

he's not in any of the publicity photos I've seen, and I think the review of the script said that he wasn't in the script
I just reread the script reviews that were posted a few years ago, and it seems I misremembered what was said about Pepe; One of those reviews said that he had only three lines in the script. So thankfully he appears to be in it (I hope they stretched out his role by now). Thinking about this, has Rizzo been in any publicity photos for the movie? The photo that showcases the cast includes two generic rats but no Rizzo.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Heheh, I could totally see a Muppet from a failed show, whether it be JHH or MT, (temporarily) joining the villain as revenge for a failed part of the dream. I agree with Drtooth ... Pepe's already tried that, but his heart is too good to go back to it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe a newly-created character with a similar look to Henson's earlier characters could assist the bad guy. I wouldn't expect The Jim Henson Company to loan out any Sam and Friends characters for the picture, but maybe somebody similar. Though it would make sense for Sam to join the villian, since that was his show and he didn't last past it while Kermit did. When you think about it, Kermit is in almost every surviving episode while Sam is only in one of the surviving episodes (according to the script of the last episode posted at Jim Henson's Red Book site Sam wasn't even present in the final episode). It would also make things a bit similar to the concept of Epic Mickey (with Oswald getting revenge against Mickey Mouse).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe a newly-created character with a similar look to Henson's earlier characters could assist the bad guy.
Even with a Muppet sidekick somehow it just reminds me of Elmo in Grouchland and that little bug that helped the villain.

I dunno... I'd personally like to see something similar to Max from the Muppet Movie, but then again, that would be just that... similar to the Muppet Movie.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Even with a Muppet sidekick somehow it just reminds me of Elmo in Grouchland and that little bug that helped the villain.

I dunno... I'd personally like to see something similar to Max from the Muppet Movie, but then again, that would be just that... similar to the Muppet Movie.
Hey, better similar to The Muppet Movie than similar to Elmo in Grouchland. :wink:

Would the sudden absense of Pepe be as shocking as the sudden absense of Rowlf and Scooter during most of the 1990s?
I'm torn on this. I don't think it's completely wrong to use Pepe in this film, but then again this is supposed to be recapturing the spirit of the original Muppet films, which were successful, unlike their later projects. So if they're going to use Pepe, it makes sense for him to be eased into it, and then see how he can work going forward.

The Muppets haven't had a truly blockbuster film since the early 1990s. If they're going to make a comeback, they do need to keep in mind what brought them success in the first place.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, better similar to The Muppet Movie than similar to Elmo in Grouchland. :wink:
I don't see how it could be. None of the Muppets can single-handedly sell a bunch of talking dolls. Maybe they're a little too Animal heavy on the T-shirts, though... :flirt:

I'm torn on this. I don't think it's completely wrong to use Pepe in this film, but then again this is supposed to be recapturing the spirit of the original Muppet films, which were successful, unlike their later projects. So if they're going to use Pepe, it makes sense for him to be eased into it, and then see how he can work going forward.

The Muppets haven't had a truly blockbuster film since the early 1990s. If they're going to make a comeback, they do need to keep in mind what brought them success in the first place.
Well, Pepe is pretty much one of the main characters now. And I don't blame him for the lack of a memorable film (he pretty much saved MFS and Oz for me). Muppet Studios and various Muppet personnel could have swayed the writers to add Pepe in a few more scenes, but we can't say that for sure until we see it. but then again, they really want the classic feel, and we're seeing their interest in keeping Scooter and Rowlf in there. They've been absent save a few lines for years. So, yeah, I'd say I'm torn too.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And I don't blame him for the lack of a memorable film (he pretty much saved MFS and Oz for me).
Oh no I'm not saying I blame the character. I mean, I will say Pepe was often given some of the more tasteless humor that the Muppets could do without (as opposed to actual adult humor :wink: ). But there were other times where he could be very funny without resorting to that stuff. Like I said, I think he can be used again, but I personally would be in favor of seeing it how it plays out first.

they really want the classic feel, and we're seeing their interest in keeping Scooter and Rowlf in there.
And that I'm not torn about at all. :wink: