What I'm Doing Tonight

MGov

Reaction score
It was really amazing.

But I'll start at the beginning.

You know what I said about it being sold out? It was.

But I got there early enough that I was near the top of the waiting list and got a seat in the first row.

They performed parts of two different plays. The detailed puppeteering in both was just incredible. Reading scrolls, climbing a ladder, sewing, playing a shamisen (Japanese lute).

The only part I didn't like was the break to explain bunraku. They had the narrator talk at length (through a translator) about the role he plays and how using several different style voices for the different characters affects the overall performance. They also had a shamisen player talk at length about using music during the performance. They were both a bit long-winded.

And to be fair, the puppeteer was over-detailed as well. But his was more visual which made it more interesting. None of it was new information to me. I've read about bunraku before so I knew a lot of what they were saying already.

Still, I don't know if I'll ever get to Japan to see a full production by the National Puppet Theatre of Japan so I'm glad I got the chance to see some of it.