What is a Muppet?

Foreignman

Reaction score
This question has plagued me for the longest time, so can we come up with a definition? What is a Muppet, what sets it apart from a Puppet? So come on, help me guys, what's a Muppet?

p.s. My 100th post, WOOHOOO!

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
To be perfectly honest, the only thing that really seperates Muppets from Puppets is whether or not they're copyrighted by JHC. Some people beleive that the word Muppet is a combination of puppet and marianet, and others beleive that it's just a weird word the Jim liked to say.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe this will help to get this going...

From our FAQ under Muppets...

3. How did the word "Muppet" originate?

In a 1982 interview, Jim Henson shared that "I think we did the term Muppets before we got the show Sam and Friends - a few months after I started working. It was really just a term we made up. For a long time I would tell people it was a combination of marionettes and puppets but, basically, it was really just a word that we coined. We have done very few things connected with marionettes."

EmmyMik

Reaction score
What is a Muppet

Well, in the words of Homer Simpson (or something like that. I can't remember the exact quote), "It's not quite a mop, it's not quite a puppet but, oh man... So to answer your question, I don't know."