What is Animal?

Drtooth

Reaction score
With the muppets, there are many characters made without a specific species, like Gonzo (who was found to be an alien), Scooter (who I say is a human), or even Animal. What is he? Here's my hypothisis:

I used to think animal was an ape, later on I thought he ws a monster (maybe a Frackle). But now I am convinced he is a... HUMAN!!! Here's why:

Take for example Donnie on the The Wild Thornberries (I can't stand that show, but I'm using it to bring up a point). He's a wildman, or a person in a ferral state. I think that this is what Animal is. A wild man.

Skeeter Muppet

Reaction score
My vote's on missing link of some sort. Not quite human, but human enough to emulate (and understand) emotions, tell right from wrong, and be a darn good drummer to boot :wink:

As for Scooter, there is that ad-libbed exchange between Kermit and Scooter backstage at TMS (never aired, unfortunately). As quoted from the rec.arts.henson+muppets FAQ:

Christopher Finch, in the almost-definitive "Of Muppets and Men," relates the following ad-libbed exchange on the backstage of "The Muppet Show": "Kermit/Jim Henson turns to Scooter/Richard Hunt and asks, 'What are you anyway?' 'My mother was a parrot,' Scooter replies. 'We don't know about my father. It was during the war.' 'Really?' says Kermit. 'Which side was he on?'"

-Kim

rexcrk

Reaction score
Scooter I think is a human :wink:

Animal on the other hand, I don't know :halo: Just a wild man who hasn't shaved in YEARS! :big_grin:

TimRizzo

Reaction score
I don't what he is, but I think he dyes his hair. Don't tell me that's his natural color.

rexcrk

Reaction score
One thing I'm pretty sure about: he hasn't had sex in a long time :wink: :stick_out_tongue: I mean, look at him: in Great Muppet Caper, Muppets take Mahattan, and Muppets from Space he was like "WO-MAN! WO-MAN! WO-MAN!"

:halo: :halo:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Of course!

I think somewhere, in some book, Frank Oz or someone said he's summed up in 3 words...

Sex, Music, and partying (or something like that)

BTW, I saw the weirdest Magnet... Animal covering... himself with a bathing suit. The caption reads "Wanna see why they call him Animal?"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I believe he is just a wild man.

Michael and Mar have one of the old The Muppet Show Fan Club newsletters with a description of all the EM band members...wait, Scott has all those issues on his Backstage Left site, www.scarecroe.com