What is the better 3D print medium- Porcelain Vs Plastic ?

muppetperson

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the best product to use for model 3D prints?
Going from a powder, would it make the plastic biodegradable?
I imagine Porcelain would be fragile? Need advice/ feedback, to help
me decide. Thanks.

propologist

Reaction score
If it is going to be a durable puppet then go with ABS plastic. If you want something "Green" then you can go with PLA plastic. Porcelain is to fragile and would be heavy.

muppetperson

Reaction score
If it is going to be a durable puppet then go with ABS plastic. If you want something "Green" then you can go with PLA plastic. Porcelain is to fragile and would be heavy.
Thanks, Propologist. :wink: So when you say "green", does that mean PLA plastic
breaks down? Actually, that is what I am avoiding.

propologist

Reaction score
PLA can break down over time but it will take many years. It is harder to glue parts together as well as if you do not glue/seal the surface you can get delimitation on parts that flex or are moved a lot.

Tioh

Reaction score
There are many materials that can be 3d-printed. I prefer Nylon - because it is flexible and very durable. PLA is biodegradable - this means you need to grind it down, add water and heat it up to over 200°C - then it will degrade in about a month. I have PLA models that are outside in the sun for two years - they have not changed color or crumbled.

Some materials are listed here: https://www.matterhackers.com/3d-printer-filament-compare

My tutorial has a short section about materials too: http://tioh.livejournal.com/104887.html

If you want to use a commercial 3d-printing service you can even get metal prints. It mostly depends on for what you want to use the model and how big your budget is.

I have made over 20 puppet-heads with PLA - no problems so far (and it's easy to print movable eyelids).