1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What is your favorite Sid and Marty Krofft shows?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JEANYLASER, Apr 29, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

What do you mean sad to admit? It may have been cheesy (like all their work), but it was one of their better shows, IMO.

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

You know what I wanna check out? Those live action Filmation action shows from the 1970's. They actually look quite good. I've seen a couple of the live action Ghost Busters episodes, though. Pretty funny stuff.

3. D'Snowth

There's some clips of Uncle Croc's Block on YouTube.

4. Drtooth

Yeah. That show really was amazing. Too bad all I ever saw of it was Wacky and Packy (which isn't really that funny... but then again, the DVD I bought that had them on it had multiple problems anyway)... I did see some Fraidy Cats, which were remarkably better (and I'm guessing the first time of MANY where Filmation employed Alan Oppenheimer). But those live action bits are just endlessly hilarious, delightfully snarky... I wish someone would release it, live segments and all. And I wish they'd re-release Ghost Busters live action. I missed that opportunity.

5. D'Snowth

I don't understand why Charles Nelson-Reilly had such issues being on Lidsville, but not so much with Uncle Croc's Block; I heard he was difficult on the set of Lidsville because he hated the whole makeup process every day, especially during the hot summer months that show was taped during... but I'd think it'd be worse being inside a big fleecy costume suit than in makeup like that.

6. Drtooth

Probably because Uncle Croc was more of a snarky comedic show, and he got to really have fun with it... or something. Or maybe Lou was just nicer to him than the Kroffts? I dunno...

7. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

The only one I've seen more than one episode in is HR Pufnstuf, but I love it! Witchiepoo is so funny! Anyone else actaually pity her before?

8. Collgoff

Collgoff Well-Known Member

Good one Dominic!
    My favorite show created by the Krofft brothers is H.R. Pufinstuf.

9. D'Snowth

Here's an interesting find on YouTube:

A TV pilot the Kroffts did some decade or so before Pufnstuf called Irving. It's interesting, to say the least, not sure if it was series-potential.

10. Collgoff

That's a great story and interesting story!

11. Dominicboo1

Did anyone else feel sorry for Witchiepoo in the episode where Jimmy becomes an old man?

12. Collgoff

:excited: You mean before Jmmy became an old man and she became really board?
    I kind of did!

13. Dominicboo1

14. Collgoff

Oh good!
    You know they never did an episode when Jimmy and Freddie finally leave Living island.
    But we can inmahine when Jimmy and Freddie can finally Leave living island.

15. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

One more favorite to add to my list...

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters.

16. D'Snowth

One problem I kind of have with the Kroffts right now is, apparently, they're both a couple of big lying lie-faced liars, that I don't even know what to believe of what they say anymore.

Examples:
    In an interview on YT that was taped in 2000, Marty mentions, at one point, that he and Sid used to send Brian Epstein a 16mm print of H.R. PUFNSTUF to him in London every week because The Beatles wanted to watch the show... Epstein died in 1967, and H.R. PUFNSTUF didn't even start till 1969.

Both Sid and Marty revealed a few years ago that they didn't come from a family of puppeteers like they claimed to have for so many years, and that their father was, in fact, a clock salesman and not a puppeteer, that the story was made up by a publicist of theirs because he/she/whoever thought it made them sound more interesting to the public.

Also, for years, they had insisted that the name "Pufnstuf" was derived from a combination of "Puff the Magic Dragon" and "all this other stuff that would be happening", thus, "Pufnstuf"... but NOW, after all these years, Marty has FINALLY admitted that yes, "Pufnstuf" came from the slang term for marijuana - "Puffin' stuff".

So yeah, I really don't know what of they say to believe anymore at this point, because I'm not sure what they're saying are made up lies.

17. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

I always thought the Pufnstuf movie was pretty decent. (Sometime back, word had it that the Kroffts were planning a remake. I hope they have the good sense NOT to!) But just like with the tv show, we never get to see if Jimmy and Freddie ever make it back home. Jimmy might've been happy grooving with his newfound friends on Living Island, but it would be nice to drop the folks a postcard- just so they don't worry.

Another thing about the "villains" in the first three Krofft shows- Witchiepoo, Benita, and Hoo-Doo. They weren't really evil. They all just wanted something they couldn't get their hands on, and they were all surrounded with incompetent goons who fouled up most of their plans. And in spite of their flaws, and their intentions to give the "goody-goodies" a hard time, there's something likable about them. Charles Nelson Reilly at his campy best.

Dominicboo1 likes this.
  18. D'Snowth

Supposedly, the last I heard, a new LIDSVILLE movie, H.R. PUFNSTUF movie, AND a new SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTERS movie were all in the works... the LIDSVILLE movie is apparently a co-production between the Kroffts and DreamWorks with Conrad Vernon directing, another movie is supposedly a Sony project, I don't know.

They seemed to have learned their lesson from that terrible LAND OF THE LOST remake, I believe if they try any new remakes in the years to come, they're definitely going to stay truer to the source material.

But... kill me now, apparently among those the Kroffts were considering for the role of Jimmy? Justin Bieber.

19. Collgoff

Well you know Fuzzygobo sometimes a girl finds out what happen to the main charaters boys and they come there to help them.

20. Bliffenstimmers

Bliffenstimmers Active Member

My mom loved these sorts of shows back in the 70s, and I've loved them ever since I was little. Pufnstuf's always fun to watch - any Krofft fan has to have watched Pufnstuf at least once - and every now and then Sigmund and the Sea Monsters and The Land of the Lost. My mother recalls watching The Far-Out Space Nuts, which I've never heard of before until she told me about it. I wonder if it's on Netflix? I'd be surprised if it wasn't. Pretty much all the other Krofft shows are.