What made you think today?

galagr

Reaction score
I was hoping somone could help me with this question that's been bumping around in my brain.
I was watching "The 90's are All That" on Teen Nick last night. On a commercial break, I saw a bumper that was boasting information about a never-before-seen Rocko's Modern Life episode being shown on Sunday at midnight. Now, at first glance, you'd say "Never before seen? But I've seen every episode thanks to the power of Netflix!". Upon further examination, I realized that midnight on Sunday would be right when April 1st kicks off. Now I was thinking "Oh, it's just going to be an April Fool's Prank". But upon even further examination I thought "Now, let's not jump to conclusions. Perhaps they are tricking you into thinking that it's an April Fool's day prank when in reality it's not." I'm now having a mental war with myself on what to do...

Aww screw it, I'll just set my DVR and go to bed early that night.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
It's the episode Pranksters/From Here to Maternity

While it doesn't actually say that's the episode at 12, and 12:30 is wacky deli and they always show the same episodes later in the morning. At 2 is wacky deli, and at 2:30 is Pranksters...so...there you go

galagr

Reaction score
Saw the episode last night. It was never before seen, alright. It showed the "Wacky Delly" logo for about ten seconds, then showed nothing but a jar of mayo for the remaining twenty minutes.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I don't know about other gals here, but once I move out of my folks' house, I'm getting covered in tattoos (I even have some ideas of tattoos I want!).

But anyway, I was actually thinking of something that happened to me years ago. I was telling a customer at my job about my veganism (she asked), and another customer asked me why I was so fat if I was a vegan (some people have no tact whatsoever). But remembering this got me thinking, all meat-eaters don't have the same physiques, so why do people expect all vegans to?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Sometimes, I honestly feel like I'm an uneducated person.

I mean I'm not, I never dropped out of school or anything, with the exception of the mathematic subjects (math, algebra, geometry), I mostly got As and Bs in school, yet sometimes, I hear people refer to something by a name that I either didn't know it was called that, or would have used a different (and admittedly simpler) word, and when that happens, I just kind of feel like maybe I'm not as smart or educated as I think I am.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
20 years ago, Bruce Springsteen came out with a song "57 Channels and Nothin' On".
Now we have close to a thousand channels, in HD, and sometimes there's STILL nothin' on!

Wanna know how far we've come, folks? Back in the pre-cable 70's, we only had seven channels to choose from (if you're from the Metro New York area, like me):
CBS, NBC, ABC, Metromedia (which mutated into Fox), WOR (now Universal 9), PIX (WB11, or the Warner Brothers Graveyard), and PBS. That was it. And some parts of the country didn't even have that many.

TV channels usually went off the air at 1 AM. Back on at 6 AM. If you were a night-owl, your only options were test patterns or snow. First-run cartoons were for Saturday morning. And the quality of your reception was always at the mercy of the weather.
During wind, rain, or snow, the antenna on your roof could shift, affecting whether you got a clear picture or not. So you might need to fiddle with the "rabbit ears" on top of your set for a while. Sometimes tv watching was a physical workout.

And most tv sets didn't have remotes. You had to go over to the set and change channels YOURSELF!!!
THEN, if you had an old vaccuum-tube set (before transistors) you had to wait for the tv to warm up. And tubes got HOT!! (and broke down quite a bit).

That's Ancient History 101 for today, folks.

Is there still nothin' on?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's stuff on, but most of it today is just complete and utter garbage.

Reality crap aside, it's been said time and time again that SEINFELD was the last GOOD program television has ever seen... I'd agree with that (though EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND was a pretty well-written and over all well-executed show as well)... everything today is so mainstream and copies off one another that you really cannot pick out one show from another, because they all look the same, and not only that, there's really no solid writing out there anymore: most programs today rely on "quick wit", getting in as many jokes in the show as possible (and a lot of them are simply not that funny anyway), and throwing people in bed with each other. There's really no solid plots for you to follow, and lately I've noticed a lot of shows have been trying to copy SEINFELD in the sense that the characters are usually generally unlikeable people... only unlike the characters from SEINFELD, these other characters are GENUINELY unlikeable, in that they don't even endear themselves to the audience through their otherwise unusual quirks... how can you NOT love George Costanza despite his faults? He's a pathetic loser, and his life sucks, yet it's all hilarious. Or what about Kramer? Wouldn't you actually like to have a neighbor like him? Okay, probably not, but ya gotta love that hipster doofus! But characters today? They completely lack those kind of underlying eccentricities and quirks to actually earn some kind of endearing quality, they're just DOWNRIGHT completely unlikeable (and I hear that's the biggest complaint from critics over that HBO series GIRLS).

The problem too is networks have WAY too much control over the programming now, they THINK they know what they want, and what will bring them in a ton of money, but they are totally out of touch with viewers out there to know what they REALLY want to see on TV: the networks are the ones who tell the producers what their shows are going to be about, the networks are the ones who tell the creators who their characters are going to be, the networks audition hundreds of big-name celebrities for each of the roles and not even let the producers have a decision, and the networks have to own all the rights to the programs and everything.