What made you think today?

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Because zombies are trying to hard be scary, and we generally know what they are and what their intentions are. While clowns are much more like humans but they hide behind masks and costumes- we have no idea who they really are. They could be planning any sinister deed imaginable. Also, it doesn't help that other people who were afraid of clowns or have twisted them to be something they're not, such as Stephen King's "It" or the Joker, have made other people afraid of them.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
But not all clowns were meant to be scary. Look up Emmett Kelly sometime.

Fear of clowns, or fear of anything, can be conquered, by facing up to them.
If you don't pay attention to anything else I say, remember this.Anything you fear, whether it's clowns, spiders, bullies, heights, you name it. You can master that fear, you can overcome it, you can
empower yourself. But you have to face up to it, as difficult as that seems. But it's worth it to be able to control the fear, rather than having the fear control you.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Sounds like an episode of the Brady Bunch with Peter having to play Benedict Arnold. (In the Brady universe, Arnold was worse than Judas, Hitler, and bin Laden combined). In the end, he sucked it up and played the role.

In 6th grade Sunday School, we put on our version of the Passion Play. I was cast as Pontious Pilate, and I sentenced Jesus to death.
We didn't actually crucify the kid who played Jesus. I put a crown of thorns (plastic flowers) on his head and led him away.

But here's where it gets screwed up. I'm the bad guy, I hand our savior his death sentence, and a few kids in the audience are cheering ME!!!
In some people's minds, being bad is more fun than being good.
Lol, the Peter Brady parallel is spot on!

Well, maybe the kids were just in awe of your performance. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Why is it some people are deathly afraid of clowns (not just shy away from them, but having such a deep pathological fear of them),

but zombies are okay?
Because clowns have the uncanny valley thing, where they mostly look human except for a couple REALLY inhuman features. They are in between, whereas zombies just look creepy all over.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Because clowns have the uncanny valley thing, where they mostly look human except for some REALLY inhuman features.
That's exactly what i'm saying! The monsters that are supposed to be scary like giant lizard creatures or mutant bugs aren't scary. What really scares people is the distortion of human beings.

Flaky Pudding

Reaction score
Sounds like an episode of the Brady Bunch with Peter having to play Benedict Arnold. (In the Brady universe, Arnold was worse than Judas, Hitler, and bin Laden combined). In the end, he sucked it up and played the role.

In 6th grade Sunday School, we put on our version of the Passion Play. I was cast as Pontious Pilate, and I sentenced Jesus to death.
We didn't actually crucify the kid who played Jesus. I put a crown of thorns (plastic flowers) on his head and led him away.

But here's where it gets screwed up. I'm the bad guy, I hand our savior his death sentence, and a few kids in the audience are cheering ME!!!
In some people's minds, being bad is more fun than being good.
I played The Big Bad Wolf in a play when I was in 5th Grade. Even though I was the one who killed and ate Little Red Riding Hood and her Grandma (plus I was the one the Wood Cutter cut open and killed at the end), the audience cheered me on anyway and people couldn't stop cheering. The principal even emailed Mom saying that the Big Bad Wolf "stole the show," and while I don't like the character himself (he eats sweet old ladies, okay, that's enough not to like him), I had a great time playing him!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Looking at pictures from Winnie the Pooh and thinking,

Eeyore probably has the first-ever Mullet!
In the 80's he could've joined any hockey team and fit right in! 8)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Winnie the Pooh has always made me think . . . if his name is Winnie the Pooh, why is he always called "Pooh" and not "Winnie"? I mean, by that logic, wouldn't we call Bozo the Clown "Clown" and not "Bozo"?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
According to the narration, his proper name is Winnie the Pooh, or,"Pooh, for short". A.A. Milne loved using whimsical phrases like that. Pooh also lived "under the name of Sanders". In his intro of " Winnie the Pooh and the Honey Tree", there's a sign with Sanders scrawled over Pooh's front door, but then was never mentioned again.

Same with the Trespassers Will" sign over Piglet's door.

Still the best summation of the residents of the Hundred Acre Wood:

While Eeyore frets,
And Piglet hesitates,
And Rabbit calculates,
And Owl pontificates,
Pooh just is.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I'm still amazed how long Survivor has been on the air. Once upon a time they had competitions between generations. First it was the Baby Boomers vs. those upstarts Generation X. Now Gen X are the old farts being swept aside by Millenials.

But something else stirring among Millennials on college campuses.
There have been instances, recently at Yale, where students wanted several faculty removed... because things were said... where a student's FEELINGS GOT HURT.

Let me fill you in on a little secret. The world can be a pretty nasty place sometimes. People, no matter where you might be, in school, at work, out in public, on social media, people might say things that may offend your delicate sensibilities. You might even be the target of racial, religious , ethnic, or sexual slurs. That doesn't make it right, and I certainly don't condone any hate speech. But you have to get a little thick skinned for your own protection.
Not everyone will like you, not everyone will agree with you, not everyone will be your friend (they say 10% of people won't ever like you, even if you're the nicest person on earth) not everyone will accept you. That's just how it is. If you ever feel rejected, at some point you have to drop it and move on. For your own sake.

There was a college out in Michigan. One area of campus was prone to being covered in graffiti. A lot of scrawlings for Hillary. But someone wrote "Trump For President", and several students needed counseling. Just because the thought of Trump as president, which might be a reality as unpleasant as it might seem, just the mere thought... HURT SOMEBODY'S FEELINGS. Now they want to find the perpetrator and have him expelled, because Trump graffiti HURT SOMEBODY'S FEELINGS.