1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What Made you Think Today?

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by CaseytheMuppet, Oct 30, 2012.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This is one of the main reasons I'm glad, in hindsight, that I never went to college, university, trade school, vocational school, whatever - even though I actually grew up during a time where if you went to college and got your degrees, that was almost a guarantee you'll end up in a decent job in your chosen career field . . . not so. I honestly don't know of anyone my age or generation who went to college, and got work in the field they chose - let alone a decent job, period.

2. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

No chances? Why not? Maybe there just aren't enough jobs in the field in your particular city. Maybe consider saving up to move someplace where it's much likelier to find work suited to your degrees? Job markets change. For instance, my bro-in-law moved from CA to CO and now to WI: he's a games programmer. And found an indie company in Madison doing the work he enjoys. If you're not finding anything available in your area, broaden your search.

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  3. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

It affects other things, though. My company hires almost no one without a degree; and even though this is the first office job I've ever worked, I was able to completely bypass the usual career track and go right into a more intensive department due to my degree and literacy level.

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Getting your dream job might not be possible right away. But there are plenty of decent jobs you can only get with some kind of a degree. I think, it's wise to get a not so cool job, get the experience and more financial mobility, so that it becomes easier later on to make a living off of what you truly enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM