What Muppets scared you as a child?

Convincing John

Reaction score
But back to the subject...scary Muppet moments...

Yeah, that part from TMM where Piggy beats up the thugs freaked me out, too...those eyes!

But probably the Muppet moment that freaked me out the most as a kid was when Big Mamma ATE Miss Piggy in the Carol Burnett episode of TMS! I was only 4 when I saw that, too!

When I was little, I didn't know which episode this happened, so each time I saw the Swinetrek on the screen, I held my breath until I saw that oval window. If I didn't see the monster, I'd stay. But if I saw that brown, hairy lump with the yellow and red antennas start to come into view, I'd be gone!

Basically any time a Muppet got ate, that freaked me out as a kid...unless I knew they escaped. Like Kermit escaped from Gorgon Heap (into Statler and Waldorf's box) in the Vincent Price episode, for example.

There was another puppet that scared the "radish resin":smirk: outta me as a kid. Does anybody, ANYBODY remember the following puppet?:

In the late 70's, as a little kid, I used to see glimpses of this show called "Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters". It had some Sid and Marty Krofft (I think) puppets that played with the band, including a dog that looked like Rover Joe. The puppets looked like they'd be right at home with the "Put Another Log On the Fire" farmer that looks like Jim Henson.

Well, anyway, the band didn't bother me. What bothered me was a weird, humanoid puppet that looks like....hmmm. Anyone got their "Muppets Magic" DVD handy? Check out the Glutton. Now imagine the Glutton as a full-body puppet, with squinting eyes, bald, no ears, an even bigger and wider mouth, and two rows of HUGE square teeth that were each about maybe 9 or 10 inches square...

His name was Munchie.

Munchie would show up unexpectedly on the set of this show, sneak up from behind, and with a weird growl, he would gobble up Barbara Mandrell or her sisters! Carl the Big Mean Monster would have been proud of him.

Munchie was one of the freakiest and scariest things I ever saw in my life! Does anyone else remember this puppet? I'd like to find a picture of him to show you guys. Carl may be big and mean, but he at least gave his victims a warning (most of the time) before eating them. Munchie just sneaked up from behind...and GROWMFFF! Those teeth! Brrrr!!!

I know Munchie wasn't a Muppet, but I had to get that out of my system. Does anyone else know about this weird and creepy puppet?

Convincing John

jediX

Reaction score
Speaking of eating, when Kermit got hauled away by Yorick ALWAYS freaked me out.

Convincing John

Reaction score
Trogdor said:
I'd like to see a picture of Munchie!
Are you sure you WANT to see Munchie?:eek: That thing was so SPOOKY! I've been trying to find a picture, but with no luck at all. My best guess is that he was a Sid and Marty Krofft puppet. So far, I've only found pics of Barbara, her sisters and the puppet band.

So, in the meantime, just think of a cross between the Glutton from the Ed Sullivan Show, and Jabba the Hutt with HUGE Chiclet teeth.

But I'll keep looking for a picture...(gulp):eek:

Convincing John

jediX

Reaction score
They made a series of Krofft figures a while back, I think. Maybe he was one of them.

Convincing John

Reaction score
jediX said:
They made a series of Krofft figures a while back, I think. Maybe he was one of them.
I've seen these figures, but I don't think he was one of them. They had H.R. Pufnstuf, Electra Woman, Sigmund the Sea Monster and Cling and Clang.

No Munchie (whew!)

Convincing John

Trogdor

Reaction score
A Guy Who is Scared of Munchie said:
Are you sure you WANT to see Munchie?:eek: That thing was so SPOOKY!
Don't you want to try and overcome your fear? Or something like that...?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Trogdor said:
Don't you want to try and overcome your fear? Or something like that...?
LOL! Actually, I'd forgot about Munchie until this thread popped up. He doesn't scare me now, of course. :stick_out_tongue: He just creeped me out when I was a kid. I actually wouldn't mind having an action figure of him, if they ever made one. From what I remember, the puppet was pretty cartoony, like one of those New Zoo Revue characters. Weird how I was freaked out by something like that and I loved characters like Greedo and Jabba the Hutt that were a lot more realistic. I really thought that the Rancor and Salicious Crumb (the little monkey/lizard that sat next to Jabba) were cool, too. I still have some drawings I made of them when I was in first grade.

A few days ago, I remembered a "Munchie moment" from back then that actually made me laugh. It was on one of those "Bloopers and Practical Jokes" specials with Dick Clark. Here's what happened:

A whole bunch of people from the Barbara Mandrell show were carrying her lengthwise. She had a football helmet on and so did Munchie. They charged forward, Munchie opened his mouth and they shoved her in. The trouble was, they shoved a little too hard, and the puppet head flipped backwards! You could see a black lump (the cloth covering the puppeteer's head) stick up, and Munchie staggered and fell over backwards, right on his...behind. I cracked up! Wished I had a VCR back then so I could've taped it. I remember right after that they played two Wilkins commercials. Of course, I had no idea who made those commercials at the time...

But yeah, I'm curious to find a picture of Munchie, now. If I can't find a photo of him, I'll have to draw one up from memory. If I had the time and talent, he'd make a perfect Halloween costume!

Convincing John

jediX

Reaction score
Was he the puppet that got the crap beat out of him by the kangaroo? lol