1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

What Muppets scared you as a child?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Manda:-D, Mar 6, 2003.

1. G-MAN

G-MAN Active Member

Another thing that used to scare me was when they would show clips of "That Old Black Magic". I was really little and I didn't know the words and seeing Kermit wearing that black wig really creeped me out, though I was never scared of "I've Grown Accustomed To Your Face".

2. HuggaWugga

HuggaWugga New Member

My mom saw this as a 20 year old :eek:

3. Starbelly

Starbelly New Member

Oooh! I remember that. They played the song "If" by Bread while that was going on. That song still gives me the willies. That was really creepy and even though I was only about five when I saw that it really stayed with me. So did Alpha Centauri by Crystal Gayle with the spirits floating around behind her.

4. Xerus

Xerus Well-Known Member

There were quite a few Muppets that scared me when I was a kid.

There was the Beautiful Day Monster who always did scary negative things sometimes.

There was one where a girl was twiddling a stick around a wooden fence. But it turned out to be a huge grass monster with teeth. But the girl managed to scare it away by growling.

And there was this Muppet News flash skit where furniture was turning into monsters where this guy was watching the news and his sofa, drawer, and lamp turn into monsters and chase him out of his house. When the guy finally escaped and got back in, his TV turned into a scary toothy monster and ate him. And it ended with the Newsman's desk eating him. That totally freaked me out!

5. Gonzwella

Gonzwella New Member

Okay, don't know what they're called but I always called them the Yip Yip's. They're these alien dudes, and one was red and one was blue and they would go "Yip Yip, Yip Yip uhhhhhhhhuuuuuu uhhhhhhhuuhhhhhhh." Scared the bejezzers outta me. For some reason I think I remember that creppy Alphabet Guy. And the weird monster Rock/flower guy. Strange, seeing as I wasn't alive in the 8o's until the end. :confused: :confused:

6. ciaomeow

ciaomeow New Member

OK, does anyone out there remember a scary blue monster, with eyelids that retracted and made his eyes bigger and scarier. I think his name was Fred and he had a mouth that turned down at the edges. He spoke with a very deep, rumbly voice. He always scared me. I remember there was one skit where he was talking to Ernie (I think) and he let out this terrible roar. The screen went from color to a blinding white and the skit ended. Geez, I just gave myself goosebumps!

7. muppetintherye

muppetintherye New Member

Animal and the Jabberwock from the Brooke Shields episode of TMS, and I am still afraid of the latter.

8. FozzieAmoeba

FozzieAmoeba New Member

I think the one that scared me the most was the "Trudge Trudge" monster, not so much for its appearance as for the rage with which it lashed out at the "Streaka Streaka" monster.

9. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

I just saw a pic of Fred on SS encyclopedia website.He would have scared me too.:o

10. JaniceFerSure

JaniceFerSure Active Member

Like I've said before,Jim and Frank,both of them when they make their voices a certain range,can be pretty scary.Trudge Trudge scared me silly along with Hugga Wugga.:smirk:

11. OOLAGIRL

OOLAGIRL New Member

who scared me

zelda rose! :eek: :o

12. muppetmaniac

muppetmaniac New Member

what scares me

ALRIGHT, when i was a kid i used to have nightmares about the electric mayhem and that dr teeth :D tickled me with a feather to death.i was scared of that one monster that could take off his face, he sang a song and took off his eyes and nose and mouth and whatever, scared the crap out of me. BUT WORST OF ALL i was soooooooooo freakin scared of guy smiley, i had nightmares about him all the time. i would wake up and go back to sleep and have another nightmare. it sucked. he still creeps me out to this day. :o

13. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

for it waz Animal :halo: when he had his giant head pop out of the lab (or house?) on the Muppet Movie! :o :eek:

14. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHH :eek: Oh gosh you brough back an old memorie that i wanted to 4 get! AHHHHHHHHHHHH i waz soo scard of him, i really did run and hid under mom & dads bed! :eek: :o

15. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

Two muppets:

The original Sammy the Snake---the green and purple striped one who sang about the letter S on Sesame Street. There was something so evil looking about him, with his tongue hanging out and those half-lidded eyes. It freaked me out watching him hiss and see a stream of "S's" floating out of his mouth. Eeeegh.....

Beautiful Day Monster. Darn. He was front and center in all my nightmares.

Both those Muppets made me eventually run out of the room with my hands over my ears each time they came on the television.

16. EvanHooperfan

EvanHooperfan New Member

Scary Sesame Street Muppets

As a kid I had nightmares of that green muppet who wore a trench coat and black hat and tried to sell Ernie letters on the Street. His name I think was Lefty, and he had an aspirated voice. He'd say, "psst Ernie, would you like to buy an 'O'.

Probably not as scary as some of the early day monsters. However, I remember to this day as a five year old having many nightmares that the guy was hidiing under my bed and was going to bite my face off with his pointed green head and sneeky manner.

17. Brian Damage

Brian Damage New Member

What was that weird face that was made up of mainly white/coloured lines? I dunno if it was on Sesame Street, or what, but that thing always used to give me the shivers and shakes.

Only monster/puppet things on TV that actually ever made me try to hide from them, though, were the various Dr. Who creatures...

18. Sylinde Bren

Sylinde Bren Active Member

As a child, the Muppet that scared me most was Sweetums. HBO used to show 'The Frog Prince' special a lot and I used to get so scared when he started to try and club Robin and Kermit to death... -shiver-

19. punkNpuppets

punkNpuppets New Member

holy.....i was SO scared of that. "captain" "YUSSSS!!!!". i think it was how the captain was all hyper and loud

20. duderguy

duderguy New Member

For me it was Don Music all the way! And when i say i was scared i dont just mean only when i saw him on TV.... i mean i was afraid of him ALL THE TIME!!! I rememebr lying in my crib at night with the lights turned out and being afriad he was going to climb into my window and attack me in my sleep. id pull those covers over my head SOOOO tight. Just thinking about that crazy hair and voice gives me the willys. i thought he was the scariest thing ever. i called him "GOO GOO" and everytime he came up on that screen my stomach dropped and my face turned pale cold. it was serious buisness
    :(