What Muppets scared you as a child?

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
When I was younger I was a little scared of Animal but it was mainly the big monsters that ate the other Muppets that scared me.

Convincing John

Reaction score
jediX said:
Was he the puppet that got the crap beat out of him by the kangaroo? lol

LOL! I remember that, too! No, it wasn't the same one, though. That one was (I think) from an Australian kid's show. Let's see...Munchie was pretty much a Humpty-Dumpty shape, with really short arms and legs. He was always dressed in a suit that was a lot like Waldorf's. And he wasn't very tall, from what I remember, and he was human. Hmm. What else? Basically, if Waldorf shaved his hair and mustache off, gained about 800 pounds and got some dentures made out of bathroom tiles from Menard's, that's about right.

My guess is, to operate him, the mouth was at about the puppeteer's chest height, and the jaws were opened with both hands. The arms were probably not used. The mouth, when opened, was about as big as...hmmm...probably a hula hoop, maybe a bit larger.

I looked all over Google last night, and I still couldn't find him, just pictures of cookies and crackers and stuff like that. I found some pictures of the band that was on the show, if anyone's interested. Rats! Does anyone have that new Sid and Marty Krofft book? Would he be in there? Any other ideas on where to look?

Convincing John

jediX

Reaction score
All I found of the Krofft stuff was Pufnstuf or whatever that disturbing thing is called...

Trogdor

Reaction score
A brave guy said:
I really thought that the Rancor and Salicious Crumb (the little monkey/lizard that sat next to Jabba) were cool, too.

Woah...the Rancor scared the crap out of me, but I saw it when I was real little. It was the only thing in the entire trilogy that I couldn't watch. And speaking of scary muppets, was anyone a little freaked out by Yoda? The first time I saw him was when I was in a haunted house walk through thing and they had a little prop of him sitting on the tree branch. :embarrassed: Maybe because it was so dark...?

Anyway, didn't find Munchie when I looked for Barbara Mandrell pics on AltaVista.

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
There's so much talk about in this thread!

Vincent Twice Vincent Twice was performed by Richard Hunt

Also, among MY most scariest Muppet moments:

The entire Alice Cooper episode of TMS
The moment when someone is announced murdered in the Liza Minelli episode
The part in the Zero Mostel episode where Zero talks about his fears as the
beastly creatures appear behind him
Uncle Deadly
The Riverbottom Nightmare Band's song at the end of Emmet Otter
The Skeksis

Although these scared me as a kid, I LOVE these moments now! :crazy:

Mr.Penguin

Reaction score
Patina the baby of The Jim Henson Hour.....And that Munchie guy cracked me up! :big_grin:......Oh, and Dr.Tooth, are you going change our avatar 'cause thats like the main thing that creeps me out..... :concern: .......

Mr. Nightmare Before Penguin

Convincing John

Reaction score
Mr.Penguin said:
Patina the baby of The Jim Henson Hour.....And that Munchie guy cracked me up! :big_grin:......Oh, and Dr.Tooth, are you going change our avatar 'cause thats like the main thing that creeps me out..... :concern: .......

Mr. Nightmare Before Penguin
Heh heh. I wish I had that Munchie blooper on tape! I still can't find a picture of him! :rolleyes: Anybody want me to email Sid and Marty Krofft for a photo (if they have one)?

Convincing John

neoyodie

Reaction score
I remember The Muppet Christmas Crol being the scariest thing I had ever seen up to that time. Every single ghost scared the heck out of me, but especially the last one. Just something about how it never said a word, just pointed towards the gravestone..... :eek: Antoher scary Muppet moment is the Muppet Babies episode where Skeeter is SKEETERJUICE and they get stuck on the train. That was terrifying. I don't remember Labyrinth scaring me very much.... But the Firies losing their heads was a little much for my little sis...she had nightmares for weeks.

tiggie0686

Reaction score
I remember there was this one thing where this old man was sitting in a library or a study or something, and he was talking about these nightmares he had. How they would come and they would go, and all these muppet ghosts would appear and then disappear when he would turn around. Then finally, I think at the end he gets eaten :eek: ! I don't remember it all too well, but I remember it scared the living daylights out of me and my dad would be cracking up, cause apparently I was too young to see that this was really funny.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
Floyd always kinda freeked me out cause I use to think he had no eyeballs. His sunglasses looked to me like eye sockets. I could have sworn he would even blink his empty eye sockets which just made me wanna vomit. Actually I only just found out recently that those were sunglasses and not eye sockets. So I'm getting theropy now. :cool: