What, no Traffic?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You know what I've noticed? Sesame Street is supposed to be a street in New York City, right? Well, there's ALWAYS bumper-to-bumper traffic in New York City, right? So, how come there's never any traffic on Sesame Street? The only car you see on a regular basis is Oscar's Sloppy Jalopy, but it's always parked in the alley next to Big Bird's nest. You might occasionally see some sort of vehicle out on the street like maybe a city bus, or a Muppet's car, but other than that, there's hardly ANY traffic on the street.

Isn't that interesting?

SSLFan

Reaction score
Well, wasn't there sound effects created back in the day that made it sound like traffic(and other activity) was taking place?

Drtooth

Reaction score
There are a few instances of traffic in the street. i think there were some cars in the movie, but then again, there's the other side of the street in the movie.

In one of the earlier episodes (It's on old School volume 1, I forget which episode, though) Big Bird almost gets smacked by a car. Then of course, a Bus runs just by Big Bird's nest (which was shown a few times, actually). Plus, I think in certain earlier episodes, you can hear some car sound effects.

Other than that, I haven't seen too many cars by there.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
It's because **whipsers** it doesn't exist! **voice back to normal** I didn't just say that. It would go against my childhood.

In all seriousness, I have no idea, but these are my guesses.

I think if there were alot of cars it would turn into a constant traffic lesson. They did alot of that kind of stuff by learning about signs and safety, etc. but it's probably easier not to deal with it constantly.

Another reason (which might me more likely) is that it's public television, and as such they might not have the funding to pay for the use of a certain company's car? Just speculating.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Well, it's like the lyric "where the air is sweet." Obviously the air is not so sweet in the real NYC! Lol But on Sesame Street, it is. :smile:

That being said, there probably was more suggestion of cars and traffic in the early days.

There's a quote a former Sesame Street puppeteer wrote on the web awhile ago about something Richard Hunt had said during a workshop, when asked what had happened to Aristotle, the blind Muppet monster:

"I don't know...the last time he was seen he was crossing Sesame Street into heavy traffic!"

Oh that Richard! Lol