What obscure Muppets do you miss?

beaker

Reaction score
Maybe I should clarify that one...what is your favorite obscure, ad created mascot, or hardly ever seen Muppet? Which ones do you miss? I submit to you a laundry list of "who???" worthy suspects.

I have a weird sense of humor and taste sometimes...so it shouldnt surprise anyone when I say Bad Andy(Dominoes mascot of 2000), Flat Eric(French Levis ad guy), the land of Gorch gang, and Joe the Armadillo(who Im afraid may not be getting more air time anytime soon)

What are some of your "Hey, do you guys remember?" Muppets?
Virtually the entire cast of the first half of Jim Henson hour also goes on mine(Digit, Leon, Lindburgh...luckily Zondra and Chip were in MFS)

Or classic TMS what ever happened to guys like Droop, the frackles, or Behemoth.

There's nearly 50 years worth of characters...from Chicken Liver and LA Choy Dragon to Mahna Mahna and Mo frackle.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

Droop and The Frackles often Pop up on Mopatops Shop along with other The Muppet Show Muppets.

I dont class Bad Andy and Flat Eric as Muppets tho, And dont think they should be.

I do often wonder where Digit, Leon and Lindburgh are, Well i know in Storage.
But why have they never been used after The Jim Henson Hour they were such fresh and great looking new Muppet Characters.

Out of all the The Jim Henson Hour cast i think that Leon and Digit are the ones who should have become major Muppet members, And joined the Family along with Clifford, Pepe etc...

But as for Mo Frackle, I was very dissapointed in the Puppet itself, In the Picture it looked like his 'nose' was more pushed back and detailed. I thought he would look like one of The Jim Henson Hour gang.

But his 'nose' looked like it had been cut into a triangular shape and left, Overall i think he looked a bit cheap, But who am i to say that - LOL

If they improved the Puppet , Id love to see him again, I loved his character and can see him becoming another Major Family member.

See ya

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Droop and The Frackles often Pop up on Mopatops Shop along with other The Muppet Show Muppets.<<<

Really? AND other Muppet show characters? Is this a behind the scenes show or an actual muppet show? And why hasnt there been any review, article, or mention of this on MC, TP, or of that 'construction' Muppet UK franchise show? Gosh I feel so out of the loop. I guess the sentiment is if its not on American tv it doesnt exist:frown:

I dont class Bad Andy and Flat Eric as Muppets tho, And dont think they should be.<<<

Well thats what I meant by my post...obscure. Actually, I can pull up a 2000 era MC archive, but was Bad Andy(and Flat Eric) made by JHC...you could argue LA Choy isnt a Muppet since the concept was by the company itself not JHC.

I do often wonder where Digit, Leon and Lindburgh are, Well i know in Storage. But why have they never been used after The Jim Henson Hour they were such fresh and great looking new Muppet Characters.<<<

Oh I know...those three in my mind were the quintessential of edgy, the new breed of late 80's Muppets. A crossgen amalgam of Muppets and Creature Shop. Yet they have been MIS since 1989!

Out of all the The Jim Henson Hour cast i think that Leon and Digit are the ones who should have become major Muppet members, And joined the Family along with Clifford, Pepe etc...<<<

I Strongly feel Digit, Leon, Lindburgh, as well as Joe the Armadillo and Mo Frackle need to join the cast of the new Muppet Show on Fox. These 5 represent some of JHC's best new characters in the last decade and a half.

But as for Mo Frackle, I was very dissapointed in the Puppet itself, In the Picture it looked like his 'nose' was more pushed back and detailed. I thought he would look like one of The Jim Henson Hour gang.<<<

you never saw the Family Feud episode? Oh man, ya cant go by a picture...his personality is extremely cool and meshes well with the existing characters. Seriously, he's the kind of Muppet you could see yourself going out on the town with or having a drink with.

Luke

Reaction score
Cory - i did post a link to you where you can watch Mopatop streamed online, i think it was :- http://mopatop.carlton.com/look

Yes, Muppet Central definitely needs to catch up with the UK shows - there's not enough on Hoobs or Mopatop and they are amongst the most popular and profitable shows right now - very important to Henson. I'm sure the UK fans could lend a hand with putting something together for the U.S fans to see.

They are really going all out on Hoobs over here - it's being run 3 times a day, loads of merchandise and video/DVD in the shops, and the characters are out and about all over the place at kids events and roadshows. The kids are crazy about them, even more than the Tweenies or Teletubbies right now.

beaker

Reaction score
Wow, thats a cool site...its a real shame most JHC fans stateside dont seem to care much about the UK shows. The mopatops official site is really cool. I wish I coul dget real player to work.
But Warrick...how do they fit in Muppet cameos? It seems like a Sesame or Bear type show from what I read? Do they com einto the store?

Ok, this is to Luke, Warrick, and any other UK MC person who can answer this:

MOPATOPS: General feeling of the show...is it like your usual internaional sesame street show, like Bear in the Big Blue House,
etc? What is the basic outline of a show. Like how TMS is a theatre with skits then behind the scenes trying to get skits together, then skits. Fraggle Rock is adventures in a cave. Bear is lessons learned in a big blue house.

HOOBS: same question.

Also, Warrick you mentioned a JHC show called 'Under Construction'? Because of the mostly concentration on big series shown in the US JHC related, Im curious just how many JHC Muppet shows there have been. hmmmm....

Sam and Friends, Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, Muppet Babies, Little Muppet Monsters, Jim Henson Hour, Fraggle Rock,
Dog City, Mopatops, Hoobs, Bear in the Big Blue House, Big Bag,
JH Animal Show...etc etc etc

Man, all these UK Muppet shows(and th eI love the Muppets BBC special) and hardly a word on them on MC. A shame:frown:

Luke

Reaction score
Mopatops Shop - like a UK version of Bear but you have the shop instead of the Blue House. The actual Mopatop puppet is very Bear in design, the way he talks to camera is very Bear-like and the characters around him are very similar to the additional Bear characters just more British. The whole thing is Mopatop having his shop, and each episode a character comes in and needs to buy or find something. It's like 9 minutes per show so the show is made up of Mopatop and his friends suggesting stuff until the solution is found. Sometimes they sing in the end. The shop shuts for the day at the end of the show. They have lots of merchandising for Mopatop - mainly videos, plushes, bubble bath etc etc. The Muppet cameos as you said are visitors that come into the shop from time to time.

Hoobs :- It's fairly similar to a Fraggle vibe with the singing and the exploration but quite different in other ways. The Hoobs are these four aliens that have come down to earth from their planet. Their leader 'Hubba Hubba' is in contact with them through video screen and he gives them a question to answer each day. They have to answer it by the end of the show and report it back by presenting their own news show to the people of their home planet. They answer the question by visiting kids, speaking to another Hoob who is on a location, and watching eduactional cartoons and video packages. Hoobs is the more popular UK show - they have some top puppeteers, the writing is very good (maybe even a little edgy for that time) and they have a song each show which there is a video for and they are usually doing stupid funny stuff appropriate for the song. A lot of the music is now on MC Radio. There have been 250 episodes of Hoobs and the merchandising deal is massive - probably about the same amount as Bear.

The only way they really differ from the U.S shows is the humor and character voices are very British - there is no difference in the writing or quality.

wockawocka

Reaction score
Skeeter, but everyone knows her that watched the muppet babies. I just wish she would be in a movie with the muppets!

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
My much-missed obscure Muppets:

#1 - The La Choy Dragon. Dear sweet mother of god, I love the La Choy Dragon. What an amazing character. Never to be seen again...:frown:

Yurick - One of my all-time fav. Muppets. He's amazing! He gets so Hungry!! :smile:

Amanda - from the Ed Sullivan show sketch. An amazingly touching skit. She was beautiful inside, and thank god the narrator found that...

and of course, Cantus. Yeah, that's right, the greatest of all the Muppets (to me, of course), will never be seen again. You know that is the truth. It makes my heart ache, but I know its for the best...noone else deserves to do Cantus but Jim, and I guess that's how it will stay forever...I'm going to go cry now...:frown:

-Matt

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Don't cry...maybe I could. In about 10 years...I can currently do a good Cantus voice, and I hope to learn puppeteering. Maybe I'll do Cantus for you. (Actually, seriously, my voice wouldn't be up to snuff for an actual program. I also have never seen a Cantus episode of FR in my life.)

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke + Cory,

I follow Mopatops Shop whenever i can, I love it!
But i dont normally enjoy British voices in Puppet shows, And that feeling came with The Hoobs.

The thing about Mopatops Shop is that any number of Customers can come into the store, Today i saw two brand new Muppets, a Heebie Jeebie and a Ab-Dab.

Or someone like Wander McMooch, Boppity, Droop or Tug from Little Muppet Monsters could come in.
Remember PuppetMan, Ofcourse you dont it never aired, But the Puppets are regulars on Mopatops Shop !

Boppty, Purple Frackle and Green Frackle have all been remade, And for what? Mopatops Shop !!!

Remember that Rat Pirate we saw once at the beginning of Muppet Treasure Island he visits Mopatops Shop too, with His Pet Penguin.

Its one of the greatest shows !

Id be very willing to help out with a Mopatops Shop info page for MC.

Oh, And i have seen Mo Frackle, Thats why im saying i dont like his 'beak'. It looked better in the Picture.

See ya