What sketches scared you as a kid?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
what you maybe thinking of was a film about the number 12. this rock says 12. goes into the ground, a 12 pops up and says 12, these rocks come bay 12 of them come out of the crowd counting from 1-12 and after they're done they do it again and make a 12. the white 12 appears again alone than fades away. i don't think most little kids think much about these skits but when you get older whether or not you still continue to watch the show like 1 did or just remember these things, who might wonder the ryme or reason for these unusual sketches. this one is like a soldier has died and they're saluting him.

Clementine

Reaction score
English muppet w/pipe by fireplace

Does anyone remember the sketch where an English muppet w/pipe is sitting in the DARK in front of a fireplace - SLOWLY turning around to face the camera?
The alphabet sounds like it is being sung by a creepy men's choir in the background.
The fire casts a shadow on his body.
I think it might have been before Allistair Cookie hosted Monsterpiece Theater.

I always hated it when they showed a muppet that had'nt slept all night with EYES BLOODSHOT AND BULGING....walking around in a trance.
I remember this happening to Telly and Ernie.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Clementine said:
Does anyone remember the sketch where an English muppet w/pipe is sitting in the DARK in front of a fireplace - SLOWLY turning around to face the camera?
The alphabet sounds like it is being sung by a creepy men's choir in the background.
The fire casts a shadow on his body.
That's "Alphabet Chat", where a Muppet named Lord Chatterly discussed letters of the alphabet while chaos swarmed around him (either by his guests or other Muppets coming in).

Katzi428

Reaction score
Elizabeth said:
Did any of you have moms that watched sesame street with you and have fun? It's part of being a good parent.
Okay...this is waaaay back, early 70's, and it ironically came on after the "Polluter" segment. Does ANYONE remember MR. JONES???? (That's what I always have thought his name was, could it have possibly been James Earl Jones??) It's a big, bald face filling up the entire screen, staring out at you and saying..."A...B...C...." through the WHOLE ALPHABET!!!! ohmigoodness it scared the bejiggers out of me! I distinctly remember my mom turning the "contrast" knob (we had a black and white TV) and blacking out the whole screen except the white letters that popped up in the corner as Mr. Jones ominously recited them!!!!

So several years later, I am a sophomore in high school, and I was babysitting and was watching Sesame Street with the kids, and what comes on, but the "Polluter" segment.....don't know if Mr. Jones was to follow again because I SHUT IT OFF!! (I still might today, now that I think of it!!)

Am I nuts? Does anyone else remember that??

Elizabeth :smile:[/QUOTE]
Ahhhh,good! I'm not crazy after all. James Earl Jones wouldn't get past "B" and I'd be screaming "MOMMY!!!!THAT SCARY MAN IS ON!!!" I don't know if it was his voice,the look on his face,or what. But I agree...it scared the daylights out of me. :eek:
Someone else mentioned the "There once was a hand" sketch. It bothered me a little but not too much. Here's a piece of trivia for you. The voiceover for that was Skip Hinnant from "The Electric Company" (blonde haired guy...played Fargo North,Decoder)
Kathy :smile:

SesameMike

Reaction score
Here's a sketch I found a little unsettling.

In an outdoor setting with a weird-looking high-rise building in the background, some little girl Muppet was talking to Bob. Somehow she kept asking him for letters. One by one she asked for the letters D A N G E, then R. She progressively placed each letter on a small sign board. When Bob saw the completed word -- DANGER -- he wanted to know why she made a sign that said THAT. The girl said it was a warning, that someone could get hurt. She then motioned towards the building in back of them and said:

"I live on the fifth floor of that building. And we accidentally threw the piano out the window."

We then heard a hideous crash paired the sound of sour piano notes. Not sure if there was a corresponding visual. Bob said something in response, followed by "but, thanks for the warning."

Perhaps the premise was just a little too far-fetched to be seriously considered as scary?

Pug Lover

Reaction score
There was one sketch from the 70s which I found somewhat scary as a child.Chrissy & The Alphabets' number"Exit(the waywaywayway out)".After all the muppets in the audience walk out the exit door followed by The Alphabets,Chrissy is left all alone singing at the piano.It's not until she's finished her song,that she realizes she's all alone.The sketch ends with Chrissy searching for the exit door in panic and screaming for help.When first seeing this episode as a child,I made an association in my mind.I associated Chrissy's situation with my occasional scary childhood experiences where I got lost in a strange place,and I would cry and freak out.So in other words you might say that I identified with Chrissy.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it's actually a he and i myself was probably a little bit scared of that as well. of course it's funny when you get older because here he is singing about how to get out and now he forgets how to get out.

Dantecat

Reaction score
No He Doesn't Mike! He Just Feels Really Bad Because The Door Was Just Lock!(Not He Doesn't Forget.)

Dantecat

Reaction score
About The Exit Sketch Mike! You Where Chris And The Alphabeats Sing About Exit,And Some Of The Muppets Like Bert,Guy Smiley,Grover,And Some Others Go Through The Exit Door While Chris And The Alphabeats Sing,But When The Alphabeats Leave Last While Chris Is Finishing His Song,He's Just Alone!When He's Just Alone When His Song Is Just Over,Chris Said He'll Go Out The Exit Door And It's Locked.When It's Locked,He Just Feels Really Bad For Himself About Not Getting Out At All Because He's Lonely.But The Reason Why The Door's Locked Is Because The Green Alphabeat Just Locked It While He Leaves And Shuts The Door Locked Which Was Just Not Good At All Because Chris Was Just Locked Inside All Alone! Poor Chris! Thank God It Will Never Happen Again At All! :frown:

And Another Thing Mike,My Name's Dante Not Dan!