1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. trtlvr67

trtlvr67 New Member

what scared me

I remember thinking that they guy w/ the rubberband mouth was freaky. The sound effects were kinds weird too.
  2. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

There was this cartoon segment,where a large group of ants hauled up a giant letter Q up to the top of an ant hill.When they reached the top,they all shouted in unison"Q".But after that the letter was so heavy,they all lost their balance and fell to the ground,all screaming of pain.
  3. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

Speaking of scary letter animations: was anyone else freaked out by a mid-70s animation about a dot that kept getting scared away from the top of a lower-case "i"? Every time the dot got to the top, some weird musical sounds played and a voice shouted the letter's name. (Whoever-it-was apparently gave in at the end of the cartoon, inspiring cheers and applause from an unseen audience...but up to that point, boy was it scary!)
  4. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Guess it was a little bit scary.

I wonder what was the point of the dot jumping up and the i saying I!
  5. ISNorden

ISNorden Active Member

My thoughts exactly, at least when I was a girl watching first-hand: why would CTW want a cartoon to feel scary when the topic wasn't? Presenting a "danger" or "don't walk" sign in that same spooky tone, I could understand. But a letter of the alphabet? ... Come on!

More seriously, at least one fan has found a hidden lesson in that "i with the jumping dot" cartoon. Besides the letter I, the animator wanted to teach about standing up to people who intimidate and bully: the letter keeps trying to frighten the dot away, but fails in the end (as others cheer for the dot's courage).
  6. Eaglekiller

Eaglekiller Member

Yes, the African Mask Muppets scared me but the Yip Yip Yips almost terrified me. In fact, my family made fun of me because of them!
  7. Grundgetta2800

Grundgetta2800 New Member

The Yip Yip Yip Martians, Cookie Monster, and to some extent, Snuffy.
  8. Grundgetta2800

Oh and how about that one time when Gordon's nose grew... Anyone remember that. He got this long *** nose and needed a nose warmer. I've never been so scared in my life. It still scars me to this day.
  9. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

I thought that was David?

Unless this was a whole different episode.
  10. Grundgetta2800

Actually it may have been David... Sorry. What was the deal with that?
  11. prickle747

prickle747 Member

12. CrazyHarryFan

CrazyHarryFan New Member

My daughter was TERRIBLY frightened by the on where the worms are dancing, then that monster eats them.... I forget where I saw that recently, probably YouTube, but she cried and cried.

We stick to Muppet Babies, and Fraggle Rock. Some of those other ones really scare her! haha

I think the only thing that really upset me was when Ernie took Bert's nose. I would get SO UPSET when Ernie took his nose. I was just inconsolable! haha LOL Too Funny!
  13. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

Here's one...

Usually I wasn't bothered by Natalie the Cow. But her moo in "Boogie Woogie Piggies" at one part freaked the **** out of me as a kid! (Pardon my language). It's when they first show Chip (or is it Dip?) doing the tango with a sheep. It didn't sound like one of her normal sounds. It sounded more like a sick/dying cow, or even a fire alarm that's breaking down!
    Combining that with all the flashing lights, animals making a racket and hurling themselves in the air, I thought the skit was pretty unnerving.

But then I grew to love Natalie years afterward. (I just watched the skit recently, for the first time in 18 years, and saw it was Natalie mooing like that (I think.)
  14. ginabeanud

ginabeanud New Member

I was too little to remember this, but one time my mom had me in a highchair eating & watching tv while she went to the basement to do laundry. She said I started screaming hysterically and when she came up to see what was wrong, she saw The Count on the tv. She didn't let me watch him for a while after that.
  15. clutch123

clutch123 New Member

From my time watching Sesame Street, I can recall some scary clips.

1. the first sketch shows a bunch of kids swimming in a pool having fun; suddenly, you hear the theme you would hear from the movie "Jaws", as the ketter would emerge from the bottom of the pool, and would float up to the top of the pool. Anywhere from A to Z.

2. now this second sketch looks more like a black and white movie, and in this one I am explaning, there is a man who keeps making his car longer and shorter in repitition. After making his car longer for the final time, he takes off, and his car stalls out in the middle of a train track, in which the person speaking says: "I think the car is going to be short, veery - WATCH OUT!"

3. The second sketch is cartoon based on a director and a actor; and the director asks this man (actor), how to express "anger", and this actor tooks this seriously, yelled and the director, and left - slamming the door behind him.

Does anybody know what skits I am refferring too?
  16. BeckyDR

BeckyDR Member

I think the person speaking was María...and I do remember those sketches, but they did not scare me.
  17. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

No I'm pretty sure it wasn't Maria.
  18. BeckyDR

BeckyDR Member

oh ok
  19. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

A recent clip, with Oscar singing about being Happy, Mad and Sad, while he enjoys the chaos going on around him, Sheep, horses, chickens, penguins, ducks, dogs, and cats are being blown around in a windstorm, and a lightpost falls on Oscar, Telly and Rosita help him up, and he yells at them, as Grover, fighting the wind, grabs for Oscar, who takes his hand, and litterally throws him the way the wind is blowing. Later, we see Cookie Monster fighting the wind, Elmo being blown away on his bike, Zoe soon following, and then a chorus of Grouches singing with Oscar, but at the end, even Benny Rabbit goes flying...

The reason this scared me was Oscar's random abuse to Grover and a cat[Chip I beleive], throwing them INTO the storm once more, while he happily sings his song. Also, its great to know Oscar is immune to apparently the appocolypse on Sesame Street. Lol.
  20. clutch123

clutch123 New Member

I was doing some thinking, and I forgot to mention it:

A machine turning an oridinary piece of metal into a big burning letter "I", or was it a letter "H"?.

As for someone who mentioned about the "short and tall" movie clip, wouldn't you be scared if you were driving a car, and it stalled out on a train track, and a train hit it? I know I would be scared.