1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

Anyone afraid of Kermit and Beautiful Day Monster in the Sound of B? Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUP0tAiziE&feature=related

I never saw it before, and I can probably see someone afraid of it, the way BDM inhales, then his eyebrows raise, then yells BBBBBUUUUHHHH, knocking over Kermit. He repeats the process, yelling at the viewers, and then the picture brightens as he yells, arms flailing, then fades to black. EEEEKK!

GREAT SCOTT, MARTY! 1.21 GIGWATTS! -Doc Brown
    Am I weird, or is it you? Maybe it's you...
  2. BeckyDR

BeckyDR Member

I actually loved those credits...but then again, the 1972-1992 funding credits scared me to death (born in 1980), so I'm probably at least a little biased ;).
  3. Whatnot1988

Whatnot1988 Member

I am not sure why, but I used to have an aversion to the Guy Smiley sketches as a youngster. It is one of the mysteries of my childhood I never will solve...
  4. jasonsesame

jasonsesame New Member

I have read through this entire thread, and one of the scariest ones to me has not even been mentioned. I am surprised no one else has mentioned this, but here it goes:

On screen we see a man (perhaps one of the muppeteers?) against what I think was a plain blue or white background. Off screen we hear Maria's voice talking about different parts of the body. Maria will mention the name of a body part (eyes, ears, etc.) and the man on the screen will point to it on himself.

Now comes the scary part. At the end Maria makes a joke like "Oh, and you couldn't have forgotten your head!" With that the man's head becomes detached from his body and stays suspended in mid-air. The body then starts walking away without the head. The head turns and looks, sees it is being left behind, and starts bouncing along after the body until both are off the screen.

Am I really the only one who remembers this? Maybe it was considered too scary and they stopped showing it after a short time. This one and the sketch where Bob and Luis put up the train tunnel get my votes for the scariest sketches ever on Sesame Street.
  5. BeckyDR

BeckyDR Member

Maybe I just have a weird sense of humor, but that sketch sounds more funny than scary. Especially when the head sees it's being left behind and starts bouncing along after the body; I was laughing uproariously at that part. Then again, I can see how that might be scary to a little kid, but as an adult I just find it funny.
  6. Gonzo's Hobbit

Gonzo's Hobbit Well-Known Member

I haven't ever seen that one before. But it reminded me of one that I always thought was scary (or at least a bit creepy)
    It's the one where kerimt is x-raying Harry Monster to show what your insides are like. When the get to the muscle part, Harry gets down to look at his muscles and then Kermit goes up behind the x-ray machine. Then Harry makes the machine show Kermit's skeleton and Kermit starts jumping and dancing around. That one always kinda freaked me out.
  7. jasonsesame

jasonsesame New Member

I agree with you about finding it funny as an adult. It was a play on the old expression "I would forget my head if it wasn't attached". But I was no more than 3 or 4 years old when I saw the sketch. At that age I was too busy being afraid of seeing a detached head and a headless body to find the joke funny. :)
  8. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Hmmm, good question - well, there was a Sherlock Hemlock sketch that bothered me a little bit, mostly because, as I remember, he kept shouting and carrying on at his sidekick. The details are all pretty hazy.

But apart from that, there weren't any sketches that scared me, I don't think.
  9. torontoguy

torontoguy New Member

i do was scared of the willie wimple cartoons and still am. i cannot watch them or i will go into a funk/daze. part of me wants to find that person who came up with the idea or the person who sang the song and yell at them for scaring me when i was a kid. i am turning 39 this spring.
  10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing them as a kid, but I can see now where they'd be creepy. But I actually think they'd make good PSAs even outside of Sesame Street! Lol.
  11. Canadian Fan

Canadian Fan Member

The Bert & Ernie sketch where Ernie was taking a bath with his umbrella, bowling ball, and flashlight. When it started thunder and lightning in the bathroom with the rain, I was scared Ernie was going to get electrocuted because of it. To this day, I hate thunderstorms with a passion. Sounds weird, but it's true.

:p:(
  12. torontoguy

torontoguy New Member

yes they had a good message, but i am thinking that their visual effects were too stronge. take care.
  13. heralde

Yeah but on the other hand that's what PSAs are for, to make a big impression. ;)
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Better than those pathetic Disney movie based ones.

Really, Beauty and the Beast clips re-edited to teach healthy eating?
  15. heralde

Yeah and that Pinnochio one, which missed a golden opportunity to say "Eat your veggies, or you'll turn into a donkey!" ;)
  16. jasonsesame

jasonsesame New Member

Another one I have not seen mentioned yet is a live film from, I think, China. The people appear to be celebrating a holiday dressed up and dancing around in scary-looking dragon costumes. I found the appearance of the costumes scary as a kid, especially ones that had big eyes on them.
  17. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I already told about my being freaked out by James Earl Jones saying the alphabet & reciting 1-10. But I watched it on You Tube a couple of times as an adult & thought to myself & wondered "What was I so scared of?" (OK...possibly his voice) And after he was done counting to 10 he swooped down quickly so there's the question of that:confused:. If you could find the sketch that you were scared of as a kid on You Tube, sit there & watch it you just might wonder the same thing:"What was I scared of?";)
  18. heralde

That's how I feel now about the shark puppet film that terrified me as a kid, what was I so scared of? Lol. Still, there are other Sesame Street sketches that continue to frighten me to this day, lol.
  19. WaiterGrover

WaiterGrover New Member

Apparently I have been away for so long that the forum software's changed- looks good!

Yet I digress... After recently watching the J.E.J. 1-10 count (which I have no memory of seeing as a kid), I had thought to myself "Geez, that ducking out of frame so quickly at the end would've kinda startled/dismayed me as a toddler", so I can understand that one. I guess there are a few things that puzzle me as to what the big deal was back then, but by and large I have a strong emotional memory of the ones that scared me; so, coupled with an adult understanding of child psychology, I pretty much just watch them today and say "Yep, definitely can see how the 3-4-year-old me would've been freaked out by that".

The reason for my coming on this forum was from stumbling across the old stuff on YouTube, and having the fog lifted from long-buried memories, the sights and sounds immediately whisking me back to that long-forgotten worldview of a young child, with all the intensity of emotion, both good and bad that goes with it. I knew I could not be the only one (especially with the number of uploaders and commenters) going through this, so I ended up here :)

As far as what sketches scared me, this post answers that.
    "And I am cute, too!":super:
  20. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Heeeeeeyyy Waiter Grover Babyyyyy!!!!!!
    *light tap on the shoulder*Hi & pleased to meet you.:)
    I checked out the sketches you were scared of .Yeah...I don't know what the writers were thinking w/ the sketch of BDM fogging up the screen in the "B" sketch. It's scary! And .the others you mentioned are freaky too. (that one with the toddler especially!) From what I heard they test sketches in front of little kids to see how they react. Apparently some of the sketches that scared us didn't scare those kids.
    Kathy