1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

What sketches scared you as a kid?

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Jennifer, May 12, 2002.

1. crackmaster

crackmaster New Member

your icon scares me
  2. KissesToKermie

KissesToKermie Well-Known Member

Nothing frightened me really, I was more interested in how the puppets worked rather tahn scared of how they looked or sounded.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That one's the worst. The music really doesn't need creepy visuals when it goes into the haunted house. It makes the music more ominous and the setting more ominous because of the music being more ominous due to the setting. And I'm no clowns are creepy guy, but that clown was creepy.

But the Owe Gustafson animation about the 8 bats with the intentionally ominous bats and music and the fact it lasts forever... that's even worse.
  4. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this was said, but I was always afraid of Ragg Mopp. Also, the crow at the end of SS credits scared the crap out of me! I remember having recurring nightmares about that one
    *shivers*
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This one unnerved me as a little kid a bit...

I think it's the combination of the dark background, the ghastly music, the fact that buffalos aren't pleasant animals (and it's red, making it look devilish)...
  6. D'Snowth

This one unnerved me as a little kid a bit...

I think it's the combination of the dark background, the ghastly music, the fact that buffalos aren't pleasant animals (and it's red, making it look devilish)...
  7. WaiterGrover

WaiterGrover New Member

Back for my biannual visit, heh. Falling into the "wasn't terrifying, but guaranteed to produce unease" category, was this, and the "foghorn" heard in the beginning here.
  8. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

...Was just waiting for a scary face to pop up at the end.
    That music is absolutely terrifying:o
  9. D'Snowth

There were others like it... there's an L for Lion that's also on YouTube, which uses the exact same music, though somehow, the image of the lion isn't quite as menacing as the buffalo, which makes it a tad more tolerable.

Then, there's another B one for boat, but unlike B for Buffalo and L for Lion, the B for Boat one actually uses really nice and pleasant music, like you would expect from Sesame.
  10. CountFan1998

CountFan1998 Active Member

I was about to say that's not all that bad, but then
    "What are PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE...?" :eek:
  11. Drtooth

Can't find it alone, but something about this Swedish cartoon about Sheep got to me once.

Can't remember if it was the music sounding all creepy because of how fuzzy it was... maybe the way the last sheep slides in there at the end... but I recall not really liking it so much.

It's one of those things that seems silly now... I dunno. At one point, I felt these were from Europe, and something about that was unnerving .
  12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

You know what I don't get? The baby cooing at the end of the music sting.
  13. Drtooth

Swedish thing? I know Sesame Street kept it in most of the time, but I think after a while they just muted it off.

It's kinda creepy.

Oh yeah... I'm watching some of the original Swedish show these things came from... the elephant counting up to 20 has a much creepier (yet fittingly male) voice. if anything it makes more sense in Swedish. He's singing the numbers, and the 14 that gets stuck up is an obvious record skip.
  14. Drtooth

Actually, I just found this out...

The baby cooing was from the original electronic music that 5 Ants are more than 4 Elephants cartoons used for the background of these cartoons.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the song alone...
  15. Stephen's Girl

Stephen's Girl New Member

Hi! I know this thread was posted a while back, but I had to reply to your post.
    I was EXTREMELY terrified of what I nicknamed "the apple tree"
    It gave me night terrors and haunted me for decades!
    I wouldn't even go to an apple orchard because I was afraid that the hideous face would show up!
    The skit as I remember started out with an apple tree on a hill and Irish music with bagpipes were playing ( BTW I HATE the sound of bagpipes because of this clip) anyway, there was a chameleon (?) shooting its tongue out knocking off the apples, then when all the apples are knocked off, which here is the MOST SCARIEST part the camera pans out and you see this hideous face with a humgoues nose and mean face! Then thankfully it was over!!
    I have to say that it showed up on YouTube and I told my kids and husband to see it, because I always described how I was terrified of bagpipes ect. They thought it was funny, but here's the kicker, my husband pulled it off of YouTube and placed it in photo shop and took it apart in mini pieces so I could see each little piece separately then when I got the courage I watched it in full. It still gave me the creeps but not as bad, but I will tell ya I would go out of my way to watch it again on YouTube! And as I was typing this, I gave my self goosebumps:)
    There was 2 more night fueled haunting clips that I would NEVER watch again, not even chopping them up in photoshop would help, but it's late and I wanna get some sleep tonight!!
    Take care,
    ~Clarkie~
  16. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

That segment sure was freaky. Good thing I didn't see it when I was watching the show in the early 1990s. I think it was still rerun quite a bit until the end of the "Around the Corner" era.
    I feature it in my YouTube Poop of "A Muppet Family Christmas," with the sound of a crowd gasping when it starts, Sam the Eagle commenting on it ("Is nothing sacred?!"), along with the last apple blowing up the eerie face on the hill and the chameleon mimicking Nelson's "HAW-HAW!"
    But then it's followed by a clip from "Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas!" :D (It was to replace a commercial break, showing random Sesame Street/Muppet-themed moments; the whole poop itself was made in memory of Jerry Nelson.)

17. Hmm That's weird. I remember that Blue Bird kinda reminded me of Sam the Eagle.
  18. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

Me too!
  19. InvaderZim

InvaderZim Member

The one with the wind-up toys, robots and satiates and space shuttles from ep 2286. End part of Portrait d'un Robot was used in Australia's Play School as clock music (rocket clock).

Seems the latter show used the piece earlier than 1986 while SS used it from that year.
  20. Drtooth

I wasn't one who was frightened by that. I was more annoyed by it. That music was incredibly annoying.