What sketches scared you as a kid?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Off topic, but I LOVED that Mr. Rogers episode in which she appeared as the witch and took off her make up to show kids it was just for the sake of fantasy. I didn't like the idea of them doing that with big Bird, but it worked well with her.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Off topic, but I LOVED that Mr. Rogers episode in which she appeared as the witch and took off her make up to show kids it was just for the sake of fantasy. I didn't like the idea of them doing that with big Bird, but it worked well with her.
I remember that episode! Yeah it was cool to see her a lot older but wearing his original costume.

It does sound like that SS episode was genuinely scary. It's just that I remember a ton of kids shows that used to scare me as a kid. Like that Unico anime with the living puppets. That was scary. Heck it's STILL scary! But at the same time, as a kid I knew it was a great story. That's what's important. I admire people who have the guts to make scary stories, with a purpose behind them. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I still think that bird cartoon and hearing Number Pinball count in hebrew were a great deal scarier than that. but I'm a weird guy. I'm more afraid of rubber spiders than real ones.

quincyalbums

Reaction score
15 spooky 1970s streets

1. The skit where ernie and bert take too long to answer thier door and the knocking keeps getting louder and harder until its smashed open by harry monster who then innocently replies "I just wanted to know If you wanted to play?".
2. The skit where ernie and bert are fighting over the big chair in which bert storms out leaving ernie to have the chair,at this point ernie starts to worry about where bert went which causes him to think that some monsters have locked him a cage somewhere. As he`s thinking out loud the room around where he sits starts to darken around the chair and get quiet,but bert eventually returns and the room returns to normal.
3.The bert and ernie skit where thier television keeps pulsing the letter "I" on the screen with a voice repeating " I......I......I.......I.......I ect;
4.The bert and ernie skit where bert tells ernie he`s being too noisy,and so ernie trying to solve the problem thinks the solution is to drown out the noise causing more noise by turning all of the home appliances on until theres a POP! and they are left in the dark with absolute quiet.
5.The song skit these woman puppets are sing "There nothing we women can`t do". The part towards the end of the song a women singing starts lifting off like a rocket puzzled me. "Was she a robot''?
6.The clip that shows an empty turned off amusment park horse merry go round with the up close of the horses head and dark background followed by the echoing sound of a kid saying something in french with spooky sounds of guitar strings and kids sceaming in the distance. This one of rarest sesame street clips I know of.
7.The kermit news story of the big bad wolf .It wasnt the wolf that that I found scary but the clouds in the sky that blew across really fast as the wolf blows the house apart.
8.The kermit news story that takes place in cinderella`s castle.What I found spooky was when cinderella talks on the phone, the voice on the other side of the line sounds distant and small making kermit and cinderella look huddled alone with the big dark background of the castle looming the behind them.
9.The furry monster with the long fangs.I can understand why sesame street cancelled the character. He just looked too vicious.
10.The empty Kitchen in which you hear Lois`s voice say "ESPAROS" followed by doors and drawers closing.
11.Another rare and strange at the time clip was the colorful siloette of Maria dancing around the screen with different colors flashing and wierd electronic music in the background. The reason I say it was Maria is towards the end you hear Lois simply say "Maria". This had to be between the 1974-78 season.
12.The cartoon where this boy is standing on a cliff and imagining with a thought bubble above his head that if he tried to jump off his head, legs and arms would break off, but he is let down by a giant.
13.This next cartoon is sort of similar to the last one mentioned. This one defently must have given kids bad dreams in the 70s. An innocent boy (with no arms)and wearing a dipar walks up to a jagged DANGER sign and (like the previous mentioned cartoon), a thought bubble appears above his head and in it a one eye monster starts growling along with falling rocks and bizzar sound effects.
14.The muppet show ball room dance skit where everyone is looking down in a pit ... I cant quit remember in detail this scene but I thought it was sort of strange
15. And Finally the scariest of the muppet skits has guest star Loreta Swit working at a seismograph lab, dancing around singing the song "I HEAR THE EARTH SHAKE UNDER MY FEET"! As she`s singing her heart out, through the window outside in the distance you see this giant blue muppet lumbering slowly closer and closer getting bigger and bigger crushing everything.

Drtooth

Reaction score
9.The furry monster with the long fangs.I can understand why sesame street cancelled the character. He just looked too vicious.
You are probably referring to Frazzle, a character that was discontinued in the mid 80's, and randomly brought back for a brief time during the mid 90's.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I admit, I remember being scared of Frazzle as a kid. But looking back, I feel sort of guilty. I mean the whole point of his song was that everytime he growled, he was just saying he's happy (or sad, or hungry etc). That he "looks verocious but he's really fine" and there was no reason to be afraid.

Unfortunately the message did not translate to all kids, heh. I sort of see him now as the Nightcrawler of the group. :wink: