What song is this?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I found a song of Kermit singing, and I have no clue of what it's from, what it's called, or anything. It's got an old sound to it, like something out of Robin Hood.

The first 2 verses are:

If I were a poet/
I would write a sonnet/
it would say I love you/
your name would be on it.

if I were a farmer/
I'd give you a bunny/
if a had a beehive/
you would get free honey.

Followed by some fa lalala's.

It goes on saying Kermit would give these things to show how much he loves this person, but then he reveals he can't do any of these things, but he doesn't need a present to show how much he loves this person. I can't type fast enough to transcribe it out, but hopefully that's enough info to go on.

EDIT: This just occured to me, it might be Ernie singing. :stick_out_tongue:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Its from Sesame Street. It's Kermit and its from the "Celeabrate of Jim Henson" cassette/cd. I have the cassette. It's was brought out after Jim had died. Its pretty cool collection of Jim's characters from sesame street.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Aw, really? That's so cool. :smile: You're lucky you have that tape. Well thank you, you've solved my midnight mystery!

Right, I have another song to figure out!
It's a sea shanty which definately has Link, Fozzie, Gonzo, Scooter, and possibly Robin (there's a Jerry Nelson character, anyhow). I'm assuming it's from the muppet show but I can't find anything about it. How it works is they keep adding tasks to do onto the list and each verse becomes longer as they add tasks. Then they sing about how great it is to be a sailor. The begginning is:

Our ship is leaving portsmith town/
her name's the good ship mary brown/
Yo ho,
(then the tasks are here: poop the deck, rattle the hatch, pepper the mints, etc.)

Erine81981

Reaction score
This is from the Muppet Show yes. There on a ship I guess. I haven't really seen the skit but I have the song on the "Muppet Hits" vol 1. Thats about all I know. But I hope that helps.

Beauregard

Reaction score
They are one a boat, which is over water, and Fozzie is rowing in the middle of the boat. While Link (captain), Robin, Gonzo, and Scooter sing. Eventually it sinks.

Katzi428

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I found a song of Kermit singing, and I have no clue of what it's from, what it's called, or anything. It's got an old sound to it, like something out of Robin Hood.

The first 2 verses are:

If I were a poet/
I would write a sonnet/
it would say I love you/
your name would be on it.

if I were a farmer/
I'd give you a bunny/
if a had a beehive/
you would get free honey.

Followed by some fa lalala's.

It goes on saying Kermit would give these things to show how much he loves this person, but then he reveals he can't do any of these things, but he doesn't need a present to show how much he loves this person. I can't type fast enough to transcribe it out, but hopefully that's enough info to go on.

EDIT: This just occured to me, it might be Ernie singing. :stick_out_tongue:
Mrs Pepper,the song's called "If I Were" & it's done by Kermit. It's one of my favorites by him. :smile:

G-MAN

Reaction score
Yeah I saw that skit on the old Playhouse Video "Children's Songs And Stories With The Muppets" i have so far not seen that segment on any episode of The Muppet Show that I've seen so far. I just remembered it was the opening number in the Petula Clark episode, it's called "Sea Chanty"

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Thank you for your help everyone for both of the songs. :smile:

David French

Reaction score
The Sea Chantey song was originally released on the Muppet Show 2 LP. It's the fourth track on Side Two.