1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

What songs does Disney/Buena Vista have to deal with from seasons 4 and 5 of The Muppet Show?

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Jonathan Teka, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Jonathan Teka

Jonathan Teka Active Member

We know all the guest stars that have to be dealt with, but what about the songs? They need to be cleared as well. Please make a list, and don't forget their rights holder/publisher.

2. Jonathan Teka

3. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Dude, in all due respect, I think you might be thinking too much about the subject.

Far as I'm concerned, the reason Disney hasn't realeased either seasons is simply because they just don't want to. Simple as that.

If they could simply edit out songs that couldn't be cleared for the first three, then they would have done that by now.

Also, considering Disney has enough money to find a cure for cancer, I doubt music rights or estates are an issue. I think in Disney's mind, they just don't want to have to spend their precious money on songs knowing them, which is why the first three were edited to begin with.

Bliffenstimmers likes this.
  4. Jonathan Teka

I'm just thinking too much is because I love those seasons and want a way to watch them legally. And I thought seasons 2 and 3 were uncut on DVD.

5. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I hate that Disney won’t put these out. I’ve given up all hope. It’s nkt worth getting frustrated over.

But you’d think they would at LEAST make them available digitally. Maybe they’ll show up on the Disney streaming service.

Jonathan Teka likes this.
  6. LittleJerry92

They won't.

7. David French

David French Well-Known Member

Can you clarify your meaning of "have to deal with" please?

8. Jonathan Teka

I mean "having to think about or work out".

9. Jonathan Teka

Yeah. We'll see.

10. Jonathan Teka

Are you serious? Please tell me you're wrong about us not seeing seasons 4 and 5 of TMS. Even Duke Remington thinks Disney will release those seasons!

11. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I had heard from an unnamed but reliable source that season four and five are still a priority. I heard that the money that would have been earned from the 2015 The Muppets Tv series being aird in syndication was going to help pay for the music rights.
    Since that didn't happen I'm thinking that some of the money that the last two concerts would help with that.

12. Jonathan Teka

Where's the source at?

13. LittleJerry92

A word of advice - don't believe everything he says.

14. Jonathan Teka

Why not? I think he's alright. I won't believe EVERYTHING he says though.

15. Jonathan Teka

Here's my predictions for the songs Disney/Buena Vista could deal with:
    1. Macho Man
    2. Rama Lama Ding Dong
    3. Summertime
    4. Six String Orchestra
    What do you think?

16. jobi71

jobi71 Well-Known Member

They'd have to deal with all the songs - that are not in the public domain. The person (s) who own the rights need to be compensated. It might be the artist, their record company, their estate or a third party who purchased the rights. Another complication is the permanence of DVD's. When permission was first granted the show would be aired once and as for repeats there most likely would have been language if it airs X more times we receive this amount or if it is Y amount of times we get this amount. I am sure the artists or their estates would love to have the Muppet version of their song released, but remember it is lawyers and accountants doing the negotiating. Having said that I believe there is a fair amount of truth in Little Jerry's comments. Disney has more than enough money and rooms filled with lawyers. If this was a priority for them it would have/would be happening. I am not one who believes it will never happen, but it does seem to be on the back burner for now.

17. Jonathan Teka

Well we know they don't have to deal with "When You Wish Upon a Star" and "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" considering those are Disney songs.