What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I saw a great image recently that showed four pictures: mass transit in China, Germany, and other countries...then it showed America with a ghetto looking Greyhound bus.
Still I don't think a country should be bragging about "making the trains run on time" considering the connotation, heh. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I see less and less people legally offering stuff online
Well I did see one thing the other day that surprised me (in a good way). A website that archives TV Ontario's educational programs, posted some episodes of the '80s kids show Today's Special. Which is great because I've heard it's unlikely the show will be on DVD anytime soon. This is the kind of thing the Internet should be good for in theory, heh.

http://archive.tvo.org/program/119645

It's nice how both American and Canadian fans can view the website, the same as how both countries got to have the TV show back in the day. That's what's great about media. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still I don't think a country should be bragging about "making the trains run on time" considering the connotation, heh. :wink:

All I can think of is the MBTA when I hear that. As bad a dictator Mussolini was, the idiots that run the T are just... I mean... WOW the stupidity. Be thankful you don't have to suffer our transit system. Everything's always out of order or under repair.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In case you guys didn't know, Congress has been discussing SOPA today and it could continue into tomorrow.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hopefully this will crash and burn like anything that's actually beneficial, but I'm guessing it will pass on the will of the overpaid lobbists of the entertainment industry. Hey! Maybe if we don't waste money buying government we won't get upset over tiny bits of money lost to inevitability.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Hopefully this will crash and burn like anything that's actually beneficial, but I'm guessing it will pass on the will of the overpaid lobbists of the entertainment industry. Hey! Maybe if we don't waste money buying government we won't get upset over tiny bits of money lost to inevitability.
Well I don't want to be too naive but even if it is passed, since when have regulation bills ever been effective in the long term? Gun control, the war on drugs, border control, etc., etc., etc. Need I say more?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well I don't want to be too naive but even if it is passed, since when have regulation bills ever been effective in the long term? Gun control, the war on drugs, border control, etc., etc., etc. Need I say more?
Hollywood.

Need I say more?

The "war" on Drugs is bull, and I don't want to get on it, gun control is at the mercy of lobbyists... blah blah blah... but we're going up against a greedy industry that thinks they should be above the law to make an extra couple bucks. The recording industry already showed its teeth by suing anyone who's ever downloaded music in the prior 5 years a few years ago... this is going to happen and this is going to kill the internet as we know it. No more fan videos, no more clips, no more long last cartoon shows, no more karaoke versions of songs or even videos with songs that just happen to be in the background... no more internet memes.

Did anyone really give a crap about Rick Roll if it wasn't a April Fools prank?

I have no problem with companies wanting less movies posted on the internet. That's their right. If they police themselves better on Youtube (and some companies are merciless about this), there shouldn't be ANY reason to block YT or other mainstream video sites. Still, how the heck does small clips steal business instead of wetting appetite? I dunno about you, but the more clips I see of certain shows, the more I want to buy them. Fan based projects, even YTP bring back old memories that get fans to actually BUY the stuff in those videos. heck, a true fan would buy something if they can help it anyway.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
But first they have to prove that they actually have the realistic capability to regularly police the entire Internet and I am skeptical to say the least.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But first they have to prove that they actually have the realistic capability to regularly police the entire Internet and I am skeptical to say the least.
They have their ways... but the easiest way is to go after the mainstream. Youtube is the first hit. Sure, there will be the smaller, tinier little crevices in pirates bay and international lawless sites that they can't find. But that's not where teenagers post their off key renditions of popular songs. I knew Disney was suspiciously quite on YT, now I know they were just waiting until they had the government on their side.

Really.

We have all these schmoes complaining about big government and how it hurts corporations and they need to do what they need to do, but whenever some company loses so much as a quarter in the laundry, who do you think they rush to in order to get it back? I'm against lost revenues as much as the next guy, sure... but this isn't the way to make them back.