What the "Stop Online Piracy Act" could mean for us USA folks...?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Stupid thing's still going to be in tact. And HEY! The Reps want it. Of course they do. Loving that sweet sweet Hollywood lobby money.

Drtooth

Reaction score
If the bill doesn't pass and you're right and it's an I told you so, it's a huge relief for me... if I'm right and this passes by the will of lobbyists (the only way anything gets done in this country), there's too much to lose. This is the one time partisan bickering is beneficial to people.

That said, what really disturbs me is the low key this bill has got in the media. Other than a reference to it in a Colbert Report, it's all internet news. Very sneaky. It's like the big media corporations purposely want to hide the fact that this bill passes so they can have more victims to make examples of.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
If the bill doesn't pass and you're right and it's an I told you so, it's a huge relief for me... if I'm right and this passes by the will of lobbyists (the only way anything gets done in this country), there's too much to lose.
Like I said though even if it does pass, they still have to prove they can even make it work. And the fact that they've had so few techie types testify for them is bizarre to me. It looks like they have all the desire but little of the understanding to back it up.

That said, what really disturbs me is the low key this bill has got in the media.
I did notice that too. I mean frankly I think it's bad timing for this bill all around anyway. I think most Americans want to hear about job creation and they're off wasting time worrying about Internet piracy.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
I've been checking up on this and I'm completely against it. I don't believe the government should have control over the Internet. If this bill passes, this gives the government the control to do whatever they want with it. They could ban sites if they wanted. And I don't think this is a partisan issue at all. There are republicans that support it, and democrats who support it and vice versa. I just hope this bill can be killed so that American's still can have the freedom to surf the web and watch videos and whatever else they want to do! God bless America! :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
And HEY! The Reps want it. Of course they do. Loving that sweet sweet Hollywood lobby money.
And I don't think this is a partisan issue at all. There are republicans that support it, and democrats who support it and vice versa.
Well I mean you can say the Republicans would side with the big media corporations who support the bill, but actually they're just as likely to side with the big Internet corporations like Google (which are against this bill).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've been checking up on this and I'm completely against it. I don't believe the government should have control over the Internet. If this bill passes, this gives the government the control to do whatever they want with it. They could ban sites if they wanted. And I don't think this is a partisan issue at all. There are republicans that support it, and democrats who support it and vice versa. I just hope this bill can be killed so that American's still can have the freedom to surf the web and watch videos and whatever else they want to do! God bless America! :wink:
Not so much the government as much as big corporations MAKING the government do this so they don't have to. I'm sorry, but I hear all this stuff about small government and letting businesses self regulate... that's all a nice little act. This is the complete opposite, and while it is bipartisan, the very same party claiming small government is heavily supporting a big government bill.

So all I get out of it is, when it comes to the safety of a product or service that companies should have to pay for anyway becomes legally mandated, it's government overreaching... but if the big companies want to force regulations to protect themselves, it's somehow perfectly okay.

I have no problem with good methods of anti-piracy. You have to fight them at their own game... that's why we have iTunes and hulu. But the wording of this bill is garbage, it goes too far in most cases, and not far enough when it comes to the torrent sites that SHOULD be the problem. If they tried this again in a few years with BETTER wording and focus, then it's okay... but punishing those who put up video remixes or fan made content, or even short mouth watering clips doesn't stop piracy... it just turns the internet into the same lame crappy thing TV and the movies have become. I think that IS their intent.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not so much the government as much as big corporations MAKING the government do this so they don't have to.
Which again is somewhat laughable considering the government previous track record on regulation. :wink:

but punishing those who put up video remixes or fan made content, or even short mouth watering clips doesn't stop piracy... it just turns the internet into the same lame crappy thing TV and the movies have become. I think that IS their intent.
Which again is quite humorous. TV and movies have lost so much of its audience to the Internet. Do they really think making the Internet crappy is somehow going to win audiences back to the still crappy old media? There's literally no logic here, lol.

Bannanasketch

Reaction score
Not so much the government as much as big corporations MAKING the government do this so they don't have to. I'm sorry, but I hear all this stuff about small government and letting businesses self regulate... that's all a nice little act. This is the complete opposite, and while it is bipartisan, the very same party claiming small government is heavily supporting a big government bill.
I would completely agree with you here. I am a Conservative Republican myself and what I want is small government. Yet, I'm seeing several Republican congressman, including the one in my district, support this bill. Waitaminute, I thought you were Small government? This bill only allows for a sort of "Big Brother" government in which they can ban whatever the heck they want. Don't get me wrong, this is also the work of some big corporations getting the government to do their bidding but the politicians who believe in small government need to stand up against this. I'm against the idea that the government can control the interwebs as much as I am against several big corporations owning the internet.