What was Disney thinking?

beaker

Reaction score
http://cinescape.com/0/editorial.as...tion=page&type_id=&cat_id=270338&obj_id=37182

Sheesh. Well it's what they get. John LAsseter over at Pixar worked his butt off making sure US audiences got to see Miyzaki's beautifully epic animated feature Spirited Away in theatres...and what does Disney do? That's right, purposefully under promote it to the point Im surprised anyone got a chance to see it. Meanwhile they over promote to sickening standards this Treasure Planet...and now they got their just deserves.

I guess the Diz was afraid people would see Spirited Away and realize 'Holy cow! Why can't Disney do this kind of amazing quality?' The way I see it...Atlantis, Treasure Planet, etc...it's just heartless sub par Don Bluth animation with ripoff anime influences and too much reliance on cgi.

scarecroe

Reaction score
Fools. Fox's "Titan A.E." and Disney's "Atlantis" were both fantastic.

While I haven't been to many movies over the past few months, I did sneak away to see "Spirited Away," which was absolutely gorgeous. Frog bless (see what Danny's got me doing?) John Lasseter. I wish someone in the Pixar/Apple pool would take an interest in Henson.

As for "Treasure Planet," it's on my to-see list, but I likely won't catch it until DVD. I love big-budget Disney animation and I wa really excited by turn they took with "Atlantis" (no, haven't seen "Lilo and Stitch" yet either, but I hear it's a really good story).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well.. I don't have any movie money on me...Besides, there's something about this film I don't particularly like.. I don't know what it is.. I think that the Robot is too close to Gonzo's role in Muppet Treasure Island. I dunno why, but I'd rather see 8 Crazy Nights. No futuristic retooling of classic liturature.

beaker

Reaction score
Oh too true...John Lassetter and Pixar, wow. You can really tell they are big Muppet fans with Monsters Inc. If only Pixar was its own company(or owned by Dreamworks, or JHC's film distributor Sony) it would rock to have em buy out JHC!

Btw, Discussions you wont find on laughingplace:
*The officially licenced Mickey fun toy
*Song of the South
*How Disney has screwed up on its features this year
*How the Disney corporation ripped off Mickey froma 14th century Maltese fresco
*Club 33

Drtooth

Reaction score
Too true! The only good film they made this year was Lilo and Stitch.

Look at Country Bears. Even I didn't want to see that, and I have a love affair with bad movies. Peter Pan 2 was a ... a joke.. plain and simple. I didn't even bother to catch it on video. Gag! If you can make a film where even Captain Hook looks bad, then what's the point? I'd rather see throw away movie versions of their original cartoon shows (Doug, Recess, and the up coming Teachers pet, which I hear will be pretty good for fans of the show) than these theatrical released moives that don't even deserve the "Direct to video" treatment.

Cinderella 2? What were they smoking when they came up with that?

Ever waiting for the Spirited Away video and DVD,
Dr. Tooth!

scarecroe

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
If only Pixar was its own company
I don't think there's anything wrong with Apple. True there's been rumor of Disney buying Apple, but I don't think that would ever go through. Besides, Pixar's just going to get better the sooner they get out from under Disney's distribution.

Isn't it funny how Disney calls all of the Pixar characters "theirs" just becasue they distributed a few of their movies, but they never did that with the Muppets? Luckily the Muppets were well established way before their Disney movies, Pixar wasn't so lucky. On the other hand, Pixar owes quite a bit to Disney for not only their success, but their very being, so I guess it's something of a paradox. D*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Disney and I don't get along.

But I love Pixar.

That's it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnn

Drtooth

Reaction score

*How the Disney corporation ripped off Mickey from a 14th century Maltese fresco
Actually, if it was just discoveres, would he really have copied it?

I always thought Mickey Mouse was a ripoff of felix the Cat (since Felix did come out first.) They just changed his design a little, rounded out the ears, changed his eyes....

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by scarecroe

Isn't it funny how Disney calls all of the Pixar characters "theirs" just becasue they distributed a few of their movies, but they never did that with the Muppets? Luckily the Muppets were well established way before their Disney movies, Pixar wasn't so lucky. On the other hand, Pixar owes quite a bit to Disney for not only their success, but their very being, so I guess it's something of a paradox. D*mned if you do, d*mned if you don't.
Oh I dont think the fans or JHC would let Disney so cavalerely do that to the Muppets. Pixar...well Pixar really was born from Disney's money. I mean yes, I remember fondly those kick butt Pixar shorts from the late 80's. But let's face it, most people didnt know who Pixar was til Toy Story came out.

Btw, wanna know what I think of Disney?
Check out this astonishing Disney painting...it's G rated, but very ornate, and put's it all into perspective

http://www.gottfried-helnwein.com/werke/leinwand/bild_48.html

(Im sure Disney doesnt like this painting!)

sarah_yzma

Reaction score

(Im sure Disney doesnt like this painting!)

I am sure there is a lot of things out there that disney doesn't like....hmm take Dreamworks for example, who have recently been taking disney on a run for their money :stick_out_tongue: