What was the first Sesame Street video ever released?

pollick529

Reaction score
Hi!

I just came up with a very interesting question. I wanted to know what the very first Sesame Street video ever released was. It wouldn't probably be "Follow That Bird", because that is only a movie. Wouldn't the first video have been like, The Sesame Street Home Video or something like that? If anyone knows about this, post your reply here. Just curious. Thanx! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If you don't count Follow That Bird (and I don't know when that was released), the first videos were two videos released by Golden Books Home Video in 1985. These were called "five sesame street stories" (featuring four Super grover stories and "big bird brings spring to sesame street") and "three sesame street stories ("everyone makes mistakes", "the city worm and the country worm", and "wanted: the great cookie thief"). thes evideos featured images from the books they are adapted from, have limited animation (used from the illustrations from the books), and feature some of the muppet performers voices, Including caroll spinney, frank oz, and fran brill. It is obvious that Jim Henson and jerry nelson didn't provide voices, especially in Big Bird brings Spring To Sesame Street: there is one scene where the count wanted to count flowers, but his bats were heard counting for him, and in a scene with Ernie, the narrarator tells the viewers what ernie said.

If you are only counting live action videos featuring segments from the show, the first six of these videos were released in 1986, I think at the same time. They were learning About letters, getting ready to read, learning about numbers, i'm glad i'm me, play-along games and songs, and bedtime stories and songs. The sides of the boxes on the original releases had numbers in a box, showing a specific order, and they originally came with an activity book listing the videos in the order i mentioned, so going by that, Learning About Letters was the first sesame street video.

I hope this helps.