1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

What year did each Muppeteer join the group?

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by D'Snowth, Jan 6, 2006.

1. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that Caroll Spinney joined the Muppets in 1969, and that Kevin Clash joined in 1985, what years did everyone else join?
  2. Vic Romano Active Member

Wow, I didn't realize Kevin joined that late. Makes sense though I guess.
  3. KermieBaby47 Well-Known Member

Frank Oz -- 1963
    Jerry Nelson -- 1970 (full-time)
    Richard Hunt -- 1972 (full-time)
    Dave Goelz -- 1974 (full-time)
    Steve Whitmire -- 1978

I've been reading one of my favorite Christmas presents, Of Muppets and Men!
  4. BEAR Active Member

I think Clash actually joined in '86.
  5. Skekayuk Member

Louise Gold joined The Muppets in the summer of 1977 (as far as I can gather from what bits and pieces I've read/heard, in July 1977 to be precise).
  6. zeldazipple New Member

Kevin Clash joineing the Muppets

I think he's right it was 1985 beecause if I'm remebering correctly that's when the first Elmo made his debut on SS but maybe Keven didn't perorm him then I don't know. Elmo was sort of an anything at the time.
  7. BEAR Active Member

I dunno. When I said 1986 I was just going by the timeline in my book Jim Henson: The Works. But that could be off I suppose.
  8. BooberFraggless New Member

Believe it or not, it was actually 1984 when Kevin Clash first joined. It might have been 1986 when he became a full time puppeteer though.
  9. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yes I understand Elmo debuted as a character in 1985, but that year is when Richard Hunt performered him (according to the Sesame Street Biography). I believe I read in Caroll Spinney's book that Kevin joined in 1985, but now that I think of it, 1984 sounds more accurate. So here's the current list.

Jim Henson (Big Boss Man) - 1955 (right?)
    Jane Henson - 1955 (currently retired)
    Frank Oz - 1963 (currently retired from Muppets)
    Caroll Spinney - 1969
    Jerry Nelson - 1970 (full-time/currently retired from Muppets)
    Richard Hunt - 1972 (full-time)
    Dave Goelz - 1974 (full-time)
    Steve Whitmire - 1978
    Kevin Clash - 1984/5/6?

How about David Rudman, Joey Mazzarino, Marty Robinson, Stephanie D'Abruzzo, Fran Brill, Noel MacNeil, Bill Barretta, Brian Henson, Eric Jacobson?
  10. BEAR Active Member

I think Carmen Osbahr joined just before Jim Henson died.
  11. Fighbird New Member

I've heard 1984 for Kevin Clash as well, and 1986 is definitely too late because he was involved in Labyrinth that premiered that year (a movie that took at least a few years to do).

By the same reasoning, I think Bill Barretta joined in 1990, with Dinosaurs premiering in early 1991.

Brian Henson did some freelance work on The Great Muppet Caper, but I think his first major Muppet production was Labyrinth (again, ca. 1985 if not earlier).

I think Eric Jacobsen once said he started on Sesame Street in 1994.

But what are the exact years we are looking for? People joining the company, people performing for the company, or people performing main Muppet Show/SS characters?