whats antron fleece?

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Ooooooooh! Don't even bother trying to get it in stores! Only online.

Antron fleece is what the Muppet Workshop uses fro their puppets. It's made so that, if sewn correcty, it makes it easier to hide seams. It wroks great! I've made... two puppets with it (haven't had the money to order anymore), and, if done right, you can hardly see the seam, although you're always going to see a little line (just so long as it's the same color as everything else, it looks natural).

Ever notice Kermit's "ridge" down his back instead of a seam? That's what you'll get.

It only comes in white, so you'll have to dye it. There are places they can send the material so you can have it professionaly done, but that's expensive.

Here's where I bought mine:

www.puppetstuff.com

You could probably find it less expensive elsewhere, but it wasn't wide enough for my character. You can get it as long as you like with others, but it might not be very wide. This is a good size here, and you order it by the yard rather than the bolt.

Scoot

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Our shop sometimes buys from Puppetstuff in New York but I do not recommend them because they are extremely expensive & often the shipping takes a long time (though the owner is a nice guy).

The best source is Georgia Stage - they carry both the 12oz. and 14 oz weights (the heavier the weight the deeper the file or the "fuzzier" it is). They ship anywhere in the world and keep a large quantity in stock so they can usually ship orders the same day it is placed. My only beef with them is that they prefer to take credits cards - payments by cheque or money order are delayed until they clear the bank and they don't accept PayPal or any other online payment. Their email is info@gastage.com and ask for Kathy.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
whats it look like? i want an idea of what it looks like b4 i put it over the puppet. describe it as best as u can!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Well, uh....have you seen Bert or Ernie? Kermit? They are all made with antron. It comes in white, it's kind of fuzzy and can be dyed to any colour you want.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Yeah.

Slow shipping? I ordered it and it didn't seem to get here slow? I got it sooner than I expected. Oh, well.

How much does the place you get it from sell it for?

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
woah!!!! $19.00 a yard!!!! i may make my own fleece factory!! then I can have allllllll i want!

Sarah

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by Super Scooter
Slow shipping? I ordered it and it didn't seem to get here slow? I got it sooner than I expected. Oh, well.

How much does the place you get it from sell it for?
We got our order a couple weeks AFTER we were expecting it and it caused huge problems so I was none too impressed. That being said, my experience isn't necessarily everyone's experience as your post illustrates.

The two best suppliers in my humble opinion are as follows:

By the roll:

Hampshire Textile Sales
PO Box 7372
Laconia NH 03247
603-528-4220
Only sells entire rolls (about 50-55 yards, 54-56 inches wide) at $7.75/yard.

By the yard:

GA Stage, Inc. Fleece Sales (highly recommended)
4153-12 Lawrenceville Hwy.
Lilburn, GA 30047
770-931-1600
770-717-6474FAX
12oz fleece: $12.98per yard
14oz fleece: $13.98 per yard
email: drapery@gastage.com
ATTN: Kathy (Kathryn McBeth Hutcheson )
We will ship anywhere in the world any amount you need. Ask for Kathy. They were also selling off this cool 9oz fleece awhile back for $8 a yard (or something like that).

*Credit for this info goes to Leo Brodie and Rose Sage over at the Puppetry Homepage. I cut and pasted the info from there because I was too lazy to type the information out myself. :stick_out_tongue:

BTW, for anyone who doesn't know, the heavier the weight of the fleece the deeper the pile (the more "fuzzy" it is). Heavier fleece can hide seams a little better, but weighs more and isn't as flexible as the lighter weight fleece.

pdbooch

Reaction score
Hey PunkNPuppets,
I emailed the Georgia Stage place and asked for samples of
both the 12oz and 14oz before I ordered, and she sent it to like the next day! Try that to get an idea of what the fleece looks like. She sent me little 2 inch pieces undyed and 1/2 inch colored samples, just to show me how well it takes dye.

patrick