What's happening to Dr. Teeth and company?

MuppetMarc

Reaction score
I know most of the people who did the original voices are gone, but we have substitutes and they are great characters. Now it just seems like they are thrown in there to appease fans. Almost all of them are unknown (except Animal) to todays generation. They've become *gulp* "whatnot muppets! If a new show comes along I have an idea for a skit. They would be singing "Under Pressure" by Queen and then at the end a giant weight would come down on them. does anyone else have great situations they could be put in?

Gonzo14

Reaction score
i can't think of anything specific right now, but i agree, the electric mayhem should get some more air time.

MWoO

Reaction score
The problem is they never got updated from the 70's which dates them. They are hippy characters. It's hard to update them for the times, but it has to be done to keep them.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
they could update them a little bit, and still have them be the same characters, i've noticed they've updated floyd's appearance (his clothes anyway)

MWoO

Reaction score
Yeah they tried in the 80's to update them, hence the pony tail of Janice that JUST WON'T GO AWAY! They even gave her a pony tail in MTI.

Anyway, if they kept that up maybe it would have worked, but they just seem dated. They're 70's look is more than just clothes. It's the way they look. And they just don't represent current bands like they did on TMS.

Don't get me wrong, I love them and wish they would be brought back, but I can see why it is not a top priority as they are dated and just about every one of them would need a new performer at this point, except Zoot and Lips, and they barely even speak.

The characters work separately now, but I don't know if they would work as a band, especially playing any current music the muppets might do.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm not sure the '70s thing is so important, when I watched the Muppets as a kid I had no idea they were supposed to be hippies. They were just in a band.

I think there's been enough updating, heh. Just because something's old doesn't mean it should be thrown away. Playing to the current generation is fine, but it's a disservice to kids to deprive them of quality entertainment just because it's old or different. The message being sent is, if you're not young and current, you don't deserve to be heard.

Kids are perfectly capable of liking older things, and they do.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
With the possible exception of Floyds outfit, I don't think any of the outfits are dated, and even then, each member (excluding Lips) has had new regular outfits at some point. Throughout the 1980s, Dr. Teeth traded his colorful fuzzy vezt for a black leather vest. Floyd traded his Sgt. Pepper outfit for a red jacket, and these days he occasionally wears a blue jean jacket and a different hat. Janice traded in her pink tanktop and black skirt for a striped sweater and long brown pants, and now usually wears a short-sleeved white shirt. Zoot traded his yellow shirt for a zoot suit. And since Muppets From Space, Animal traded his shirt in for a white shirt with yellow sleeves. Dr. Teeth, Floyd, and Zoot all do occasionally wear their original outfits from time-to-time, but they also sometimes wear newer outfits.

Giar Fraggle

Reaction score
So, I'm the only one who loves the 70's incarnation of the Electric Mayhem and thinks they should stay that way as a tribute to all things groovy? :sing:

But yeah, I agree, I love that band and wish they'd get more love, as long as they're not "updated" to fit today's culture (because let's face it, the 70's were better.) :big_grin:

Same with Miss Piggy, actually. I really liked how she looked in the 80's but I can barely bear :smile:o did somebody call for a bear?) her style nowadays.

In my crazy opinion, the Muppets should stay like they were in the 70's and 80's as an eternal reminder to those golden days of yore.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
So, I'm the only one who loves the 70's incarnation of the Electric Mayhem and thinks they should stay that way as a tribute to all things groovy? :sing:

I was agreeing with you in my post above. :smile: