What's With the Sudden Obsession with Llamas?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's like everybody's obsessed with llamas right now... dA has "Llama Badges" you can give to other artists, the libraries are featuring books about llamas on display, llamas are becoming as big a part of livestock as cows and horses...

So what's the deal?

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Hmm...Haven't really noticed. If you ask me, though, I believe we've been forgetting a very important animal. The Echidna!

Kiki

Reaction score
Hmm...Haven't really noticed. If you ask me, though, I believe we've been forgetting a very important animal. The Echidna!
Lol! Exactly! Australian's native animals are freakin' win! Just look at the platypus, it's a mammal *and* it lays eggs. =D

Err, anyway, as for the whole llama obsession, I have *no* idea, I've been wondering about it myself. They're also becoming increasingly popular on the net, with llama badges on dA and all...

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, you just KNOW Disney's gonna ignore the 10th anniversary of Emperor's New Groove, right? That's the ONLY Llama I care about. Went NUTS trying to find merchandise and had to wait a year for them to release an "at least it's something" bean bag assortment. And they didn't have Kronk, and he's the BEST character too. Then we had a sequel and a TV series... STILL no merchandise. Look, I know Disney pretty much wanted to sweep it under the rug, especially when the stupid Dalmatians 2 movie came out at the same time, and it was going to be some other movie (whih sounded lame to me)... but you could at least acknowledge the divine weirdness of the film, and how it has a cult following now.

That said, it's all a cycle. Odd animals become popular, hold the public eye... there's some bad movie made somewhere down the line... we had Monkeys, Penguins, goats at some point. They're on all this weird merchandise and stuff. Still... monkeys are obvious, Penguins had that stupid documentary, goats I can't say on a family site... but I don't get where llamas come from. Maybe it's that Monty Python skit, maybe it's Carl from Jimmy Neutron (boy, did he love him some llamas)... but over all, might be the WHAA? ! factor.

Rose

Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. I did notice the past few years Lama's seem to be growing more poplure. I even saw one stamped into the sidewalk where I walk to go to Army and Navy. I mean they are kind of cute but I wouldn't go out of my way to get something with a Lama on it. Even in D.A. I got 4 Lama Badges from people on my D.A. list and I had no idea what it was all about. I think it's just another 'fad.

mr3urious

Reaction score
That said, it's all a cycle. Odd animals become popular, hold the public eye... there's some bad movie made somewhere down the line... we had Monkeys, Penguins, goats at some point.
Don't forget the dinosaur craze from the late '80s-early '90s!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't forget the dinosaur craze from the late '80s-early '90s!
I feel Dinos are Evergreen (but that's a bias on my part because there has never been anything on this Earth as cool as a Dino. Not even gorillas, and I love gorillas). But they do manage to have spikes in popularity from time to time. They were big in the 80's... bet they were in the 70's when Land of The Lost was around... they REALLY hit big in the 90's after Jurassic Park (and that unfortunate Purple thing). Dinos have staying power not even Penguins and monkeys have. Mainly due to the science geekdom that backs the study of them.