What's your favorite Sesame 1-2-3's?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
don't think this was mentioned here. the boy we couldn't see putting eggs into an egg carton. ana a cookie. finally just before he puts. in the 12th egg, he takes the cookie out and eats. it. 12 eggs and no cooky. wonder who that kid was and who was the person who put the cooky in the carton? think the boy might of been 1 of Henson's children?

bisforbubble

Reaction score
I remember the cookie and egg thing you are talking about. I do not remember all of the details, but I definitely remember that.

Reaction score
rjschex said:
1. "Jazz" series
2. Pinball
3. Circus Trainer
4. Baker
5. Mad Painter
6. 4-Armed Hindu
7. "Cast of Charactors" [sic]--misspelling at end
--1: deflated
--2: yanked into ground
--3: falls backwards into water
--4: slides when ground is tilted
--5: popped with pin
--6: grabbed away with hook
--7: shatters
--8: carried away by eagle
--9: overinflated until it bursts
-10: bowled over
-11: banged together and shattered
-12: pushed away by bulldozer
-13: closed up in backhoe
-14: pounded by mallet
-15: squooshed by foot
-16: crushed by falling tree
-17: devoured by Cookie Monster (in his voice!)
-18: under a falling safe
-19: dynamited
-20: shatters after leaf falls upon it

8. A forgotten(?) live action sketch: cards dealt one at a time; backs are normal playing-card design; faces have a fluorescent background (different color for each number) with large black number

9. Series of animated musical numbers: (2-6 featured a fiddler; Alligator King; Penny Candy Man; Martian Beauty; Ten Telephoning Turtles; Eleven Morning; Ladybug Picnic)

HONORABLE MENTION (not from Sesame Street):

--a series of animated number sketches on the mid-to-late 70's "Spanglish" series Villa Alegre. The ending went as follows:

A single line appeared as the number one.
The line split into two horizontal lines; a "2" appeared inside.
The "2" became a straight line, merging with the horizontal lines to form an equilateral triangle; a "3" then appeared inside.
And so on, as follows:
-4: square
-5: regular pentagon
-6: regular hexagon
-7: regular heptagon
-8: regular octagon
-9: figure shaped like an upside-down "Y", formed by three squares touching at corners
-10: figure formed by two elongated hexagons merged along one of the long sides
---the 10-sided figure then closes like a book, and opens to reveal a white rectangle with the numbers 1-10 inside, in different colors
I also like the cast of characters 1-20 where something happened to each number.. Does anyone know where I could get that on tape please ? Thanks !

SesameMike

Reaction score
When the narrator introduces each number, and the numerals are promptly destroyed in one way or another:
rjschex said:
17: devoured by Cookie Monster (in his voice!)
In that case, the 17 wasn't called by the announcer, but by Cookie Monster himself. This was the way CM calls out the name of whatever it is he is about to consume. Usually "Coo-kie", but we all know that CM has an indiscriminate appetite, at least in the older shows. So eating numerals was certainly not out of the question for him.

This animation had narrated closing credits that rolled at the end. "Today's cast, in order of appearance, was by the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4,.... 20." Somehow they forgot to credit Cookie Monster or the extra who stepped on number 15.

SesameMike

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
The boy we couldn't see putting eggs into an egg carton and a cookie. Finally, just before he puts in the 12th egg, he takes the cookie out and eats it. 12 eggs and no cookie.
I actually thought that sounded more like a girl's voice, but...

This sketch was unusual in that (a) a follow-up skit always came immediately after, and (b) said follow-up was one of two different skits, both of which were equally legit.

In one follow-up, Ernie says "Hey that was a good way to count, with those eggs and that cookie." Ernie proceeds to do the same, except with 11 cookies and one egg, since he (and at least a million viewers) likes cookies better than eggs. After he puts them in place, Cookie Monster arrives on the scene and eats the 11 cookies out of the egg carton. Then CM says something like "Oops, me forgot. One egg." CM tossed the egg into the air and caught it in his mouth (how many takes did THAT stunt require?) then trotted off.

In the other follow-up, we see Cookie Monster against a plain background, reacting harshly to the final words of the previous sketch (12 eggs and no cookie). "No cookie? No cookie? I want a cookie!" Then from above an abstract mechanical "puppet" appears and starts talking to CM. His first words were "You're not asking very nicely." The strange puppet tries to convince CM that if he wants a cookie, he should say "Please". At some point the puppet drops a hardcover book, to which CM makes clear his intentions make a meal out of. The puppet then spoke the following line, whose reasoning made no logical sense to me:
"If you say 'please' I'll give you a cookie. If you eat the bookie I'll give you all the cookies you want." IIRC, CM did in fact consume the tome. Then we heard a box open, followed by a shower of cookies to CM's excitement.

Note on that last skit: I was a lot older when I learned what a "bookie" is.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
i rememebr seeing that 1 once though didn't rememeber exactly how it went.

Reaction score
What is your favorite number getting smashed ?

What is everyone's favorite sequence of the numbers getting destroyed ? I thought 15 was great, and 20 ( although bizarre)....

SesameMike, what did you mean when you said that the cookie monster and the extra that steps on # 15 didn't get credited ?

Also, can I find this on any of the Sesame Street DVDs and Tapes ? Thanks !!

SesameMike

Reaction score
briguy@netplus said:
SesameMike, what did you mean when you said that the cookie monster and the extra that steps on # 15 didn't get credited ?
When they rolled the "closing credits" at the end of the sequence (Today's cast, in order of appearance), they only gave billing to the 20 numbers that appeared. They did not credit, for example, the extra that they cast to step on the 15 and squash it. Or for that matter, the operators of the heavy machinery that did in 12 and 13. But most motion pictures don't usually credit the extras, since if the film had a busy scene you'd be watching them roll till next Tuesday!

They should have added:
"Special appearance by Cookie Monster, courtesy Jim Henson Productions."

"No animals were harmed in the making of this film. Though quite a few numbers were!" (for crazy credits, they "did a number on the numbers")

Reaction score
Do you think I could find that on tape somewhere ? Do they show it on the episodes now ? When I first ( and only time of seeing it ) saw it, it was back in the late 80's. What is your favorite number sequence Mike ? :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
remember this from the 80? Susan, Maria, Olivia and Linda were a group called Mass Communication. the 1st 3 would sing 1 and Linda would hold up 1 finger and they'd sing 2 and linda would hol up 2 fingers and they'd do this all the way up to 10 and then they counted backwards.