When Dave Retires

P

Princeton

What will happen when Dave Goelz retires? With the exception of Steve Whitmire, Dave, as has been mentioned before, is the only "original" Muppeteer that is still with JHC. Granted, Gonzo is his only main character and Gonzo's voice has changed over time. But no matter how you slice it, Gonzo's voice, whether it's 1976 or 2005, cannot be replaced. What do y'all think?

BEAR

Reaction score
Yeah, that is a good question. I thought that they should get Martin Robinson to perform Gonzo. Also, Gonzo's voice hasn't changed that much, i would say it has "matured" a little bit.

That Announcer

Reaction score
Hey, don't make me think about that! I don't want Dave to retire! NOOOOOOO!

Actually, since Dave's only in his 50s (I think) he won't be gone for a long time. Steve even more so.

MWoO

Reaction score
Actually Dave is about 60. Chances are he will retire in 10 years or less.

Steve is only about 45 and should be around for another 25 years or less. I base my predictions on Jerry's retierment age since he is really the only performer to retire. I do not count Frank Oz because he retired for different reasons.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
How central is Dave right now? In other words, is he equally as active as Steve and Eric? I ask based on recent TV appearances. He was not on Extreme Makeovers, he hasn't appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live or Good Morning America or really any talk show for that matter. I didn't catch AFV so I don't know if he was there. I'm just wondering; does Dave have seperate projects going on like Frank did?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Princeton said:
What will happen when Dave Goelz retires? With the exception of Steve Whitmire, Dave, as has been mentioned before, is the only "original" Muppeteer that is still with JHC. Granted, Gonzo is his only main character and Gonzo's voice has changed over time. But no matter how you slice it, Gonzo's voice, whether it's 1976 or 2005, cannot be replaced. What do y'all think?
Yeah, I agree. Dave has been great with Gonzo, also with Waldorf. I really couldn't imagine him being replaced. I suppose they could give Marty Robinson a try with Gonzo if they had to, but I'm not ready to see a replacement for Dave's characters yet. (He did sound a bit like Telly in a few of his lines in MTI)

MWoO

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
How central is Dave right now? In other words, is he equally as active as Steve and Eric? I ask based on recent TV appearances. He was not on Extreme Makeovers, he hasn't appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live or Good Morning America or really any talk show for that matter. I didn't catch AFV so I don't know if he was there. I'm just wondering; does Dave have seperate projects going on like Frank did?
Dave has been a huge part in every production. He appeared as Gonzo and Waldorf on AFV with plenty of screen time and he appeared on GMA during one of their appearances as Gonzo and Waldorf again. He's certainly active. The only reason he might not be the one making the rounds is because it is usually Kermit and Piggy who do that anyway. But since Disney took over they have been good about getting more than just Piggy and Kermit out there.